Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Meh. Maybe.

My biggest problem with Glau is actually the fanboys. Anytime they can they drag her out as THE choice to play X.

She was cute in Firefly. She kicked ass in Firefly. So, of course, the fanboys love her.

But, she's not that great. She was good as River. She's fine as the Terminator thing. But, her perpetually child like voice is becoming annoying for a 30 year old woman.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting. I haven't actually seen her in a live-action role since she was a teen, but I felt that in Lost in Space she totally stole every scene she was in, and was just about the only good thing about the movie (once you got acclimated to the chipmunk voice).

No. She's a textbook example of what I think is the wrong way to go for Lois -- stunningly gorgeous to look at, but dull when she actually has to speak. In Iron Man 2, she was an absolute standout visually, but vocally, compared to the likes of Downey, Paltrow, Cheadle, and Jackson, she drained the film of energy every time she delivered a line. It's not Lois Lane if she doesn't have the voice and the attitude for it, and ScarJo doesn't have it.

I think that's selection bias -- we've rarely seen her in roles that weren't quirky and eccentric, so she hasn't really gotten a chance to show what she can do with them. But she's playing a far more "normal" character right now in The Cape, and though I felt it took her a few weeks to get into the swing of things, she's settled into the role pretty well. I don't quite see her as the Lois Lane type, though. Whedon veterans are in the right direction -- strong, witty, fast-talking women -- but among Whedon cast members, I think the one I'd most like to see as Lois is Olivia Williams. Heck, we've got an English Superman, so why not an English Lois?

3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I still would like to see some out-of-the-box casting for Lois and the other Planeteers, such as Zakiya Young, who played Lois in the Dallas revival of It's a Bird, It's a Plane... It's Superman musical.

Or a Latina actress for Lois. (Full disclosure: I'm partial to this particular actress because she is a dear friend of mine.)

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somebody is going to mention Gabrielle Union in

5, 4, 3, 2...

5. Professor Zoom

What about Zoe Saldana... what, no one?

Actually, I feel like she's a little over exposed. But, I do like her spunk, at least in Star Trek.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Rosario Dawson.

7. Obiwanshinobi

mmm how about Rosario Dawson?

8. Professor Zoom

I like her. But she's older than Cavill. By just a few years, so i wonder if they would consider her.

At least she looks like a woman, versus Kate Bosworth, who look liked she dressed in her mom's clothes.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whoa - that works for me!

10. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Looks like a perfect choice to me, but wow, I am sure going to miss that Williams score.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Saldana could probably pull it off.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

If we're going latina, I'd prefer Eva Mendes myself. She's younger, hotter, and has just as much attitude.

I mean, let's face it, considering this is a Zach Snyder film, the only thing we have to worry about are the visuals. There's not going to be a need for world-class actors here. lol

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  14. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

Emily Blunt has been mentioned before, but I'm not a fan, at least not for her as Lois. Jessica Stroup (90210) has also been suggested. I've never seen her act, but she has the right look and age (only a few years younger than Cavill).

15. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nah.

But Zack Efron could play a kryptonian that gets blasted in the face with a supernova or whatever

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Rosario Dawson is a better actress, though, in my opinion.

Actually I think you need good performers in a film like this so that they hit the right tone and don't get so overwhelmed by the visuals that the performances don't register.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Lex has to be in this too.

Lex has become more than the archenemy. He has become an integral character in the Superman mythos along with Lois, Jimmy and Perry. It is important to have him in the movie, but just keep him as the supporting character. It is time to let another villain shine.

18. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Yeah, I agree. I posted earlier about how over the course of five Superman movies, there have been a total of two main villains from Superman comics. That's just crazy considering he's been around so long and had so many villains. Look no further than Brainiac.

19. Obiwanshinobi

Might be a bit older now, only 39, but I was going to suggest Carla Gugino. Going from Sally Jupiter to Lois Lane. I bet Snyder and company will go young though.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

What about Joanne Kelly from WAREHOUSE 13? I could see her as Lois.