Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along blog

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bob The Skutter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was bloody brillant!!! I love the whole concept of this thing from start to end, I might be the only one here who LOVES the ending. It was sad what happened but ironic in a way too the villan finally WON and seeing Captain Hammer in therapy was hilarious! Everyone performed beautifully...this should be released in theatres in front of a movie so more people can see it! I can't wait to get the DVD...I want a soundtrack too because the songs were great. I wouldn't mind getting Captain Hammer's t-shirt...

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Upon watching Part 3 again, I can appreciate it more. However, I do wish Penny had gotten one more song in this segment....I want to know what she was thinking at the end there.

3. Admiral_Young

Actually I thought that she might break into a song during her death scene...that would be like Joss.

4. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best Supervillian musical ever!

Best line is "The hammer is my penis".

5. Admiral_Young

Oh I should mention...the final scene of Dr. Horrible walking into the conference room with the League of Evil in his new bitchen awesome red suit was awesome. NPH was truly awesome in this...

6. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If anything, Penny's Death scene summarizes exactly what Dr. Horrible was talking about.

Even Penny who knew the man behind the Hammer as it were, was of the belief that this guy who thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and only thought of himself, would save her in the end. To be that deluded about those we see as Heroes is frightening. Just because Capt. Hammer was "The Good Guy", didn't mean he was a good guy. Yet the "shee-ple" don't see the flaws, and go along anyway even when he insults them, belittles them, and in the end endangers them by pulling the trigger on a damaged ray gun.

Sadly, Horrible was right about everything. Penny's last words solidified his resolve more than anything else, and he starts down his path, but that still doesn't mean his path won't be an empty one.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yeah, I loved that too. :lol: And it seems to add more to the "Or he'll make you his mare." line. :lol:

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

9. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

Bravo! Nothing to add. Carry on.

10. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count me in this as well, and it's not with Joss. I see this a LOT in fandom, with fans wanting to go x direction with a story and getting out of sorts when the author goes his/her own direction instead.

Just go with it.

11. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or, you know, people just have different opinions. No need to justify yours by saying that anyone who thinks differently must not be enlightened enough (like you are) to go with the flow. I'll respect yours if you can respect mine.

12. stonester1

Was that directed at me? Nothing about "enlightenment". I just don't have the temerity to think that I know better than the author how he should write his story, especially one as accomplished as Joss.

As a rule, when I'm enjoying something created by someone else, I'm content to sit back and let them take me for a ride. Not come up with how I think the characters should go on their journey. I didn't write it, so it's not up to me.

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Ditto to all this, loved it, fantastic songs and some really brilliant humour - "the hammer is my penis" :lol:

thank you for introducing that to me, Bob! I'm still laughing at it now

14. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "you" was plural, for all who were saying that anyone who didn't like it must be unable to accept the author's right to write what he/she wants. I agree that the viewer should be willing to go along with the ride, but there's nothing wrong with getting off the ride and not enjoying it as much as others might have, so there's no need to say that those who didn't like it must've been in a certain mindset that prejudiced them from the start.

15. stonester1

There is nothing wrong with that, true. But it is also true that some fans DO go with that attitude. That the ride should go in the direction THEY want, and if it doesn't, they get out of joint.

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

As has been said the musical style is obviouly similar to Once More, With Feeling, which kind of makes me sad Angel & Firefly couldn't have continued.
    How awesome would musical episodes of those have been? :)

So what would your favourite song be in the whole 3-parts?

Don't know the names of the songs, but my Top 3 would be-
    3. "The Nightmare's Real (pt.3)
    2. "With My Freeze Ray" (pt.1)
    1. "Brand New Day" (pt.2) :techman:

17. Lindley

I rather like "On the rise" as well.

18. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

My personal faves:
    1. "On the Rise"
    2. "Freeze-Ray"
    3. "Brand New Day"

I really didn't think any of the songs in Act III were all that memorable.

19. Admiral_Young

Wikipedia has a track listing of all the songs included in the Sing Along...I haven't checked the entry since act ii has been posted but I'm sure its been updated long since act iii was posted. Technobuilder summed things up perfectly...if you go back and watch act I pretty much what happened and was said in that act happened in the third act.

Okay just checked the wiki article and the songs have been removed...

I so want the DVD now as the article reports that there will be a feature on the DVD called Commentary--The Musical with new songs by the cast!!! Awesome.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  20. Lindley

I think it'd be awesome if the Bad Horse Chorus got a cameo in Dollhouse. Maybe in a karaoke scene or something.