FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Why not?

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Half-assing???? They are going back to the original film, something about 80% of the people here thought was unlikely or impossible!! This is a hugely expensive undertaking...season one of STNG cost $30 million in 1987 dollars, I'm willing to bet they are spending a good portion of that in restoring it.

Just to re-iterate, 35mm film holds even more info than HD....when they scan it into a digital scanner, they are not losing any quality. They are not taking a video master in 480i and uprezzing it.

RAMA

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Let's not get into that can of worms. Let the Luddites be. :)

4. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Several reasons:

Most of my movie collection is R2 so at 576p I'm already getting an image that's good enough.

Most of what I watch is pre-90s or isn't effects-laden, so again, I don't see enough benefit to bother.

I'm over physical media. DVD is fine because I can buy most movies for £5-7; there's no way I'm buying my films again in yet another optical format at double the price or more when I can more easily view films on the go by uploading them to my iPhone and plugging it into someone else's TV.

Going forward I'll either continue to buy the occasional DVD, rip it and give it away or buy visual media off iTunes. If it's not available in either format then I'll just do without. I've reached the point where I don't care about TV or movies as much as I used to and my collection of visual media is big enough.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll assume you're being serious. You do realize that the image on film is made up of grain, and when they wipe the grain, it results in less detail, correct? The problem with the movie blu-rays (except II) was that they used older 1080i masters that were done for HDTV, and in addition they wiped the grain.

Doug

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, it reminds me of the fine line I have to tread when I'm editing phoot's shot at high ISO in Adobe RAW. I want to clean up some of the noise but in doing so you lose some of the detail.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Actually the optical drive argument is sensible, but probably not practical for a few years mainly because of the lack of sources...eventually you can probably just d/l everything through wi-fi but we're just not there yet. Also, we had a convo in the other thread about whole series on hard drives...I like this idea, though again, I prefer it to be on solid state drives of the near future that are reliable and correct the few remaining problems.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I wouldn't mind going all ddigital but I have to admit I like the interface and special features on Blu-Ray.

9. Sean Aaron

I do enjoy a quality making-of documentary and interviews with cast and crew, but any more I'm just about the show. I'll be hanging onto my Trek DVDs after I rip them, though. Of course I haven't viewed them in years. I'll be really ticked off if they've become unplayable as I've found with a few DVDs in the course of my archive project, which is why I'm not interested in getting any more optical discs.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL, how the hell do you make DVDs unplayable?

11. Sean Aaron

I dunno. Some of the media used just seems to be crap. This all kicked off for me because a DVD I have just refused to play in any of my players beyond a certain point into the film with no visible surface damage. This DVD like many others in my collection, is nearly 15 years old.

Yesterday I was trying to view the first disc in a TV series and the surface was tacky and actually adhered to my fingers. I had to just bin it and download the episodes from iTunes. That disc was maybe five or six years old. Honestly if they announced the death of DVD tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear.

12. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Perhaps the layers are starting to separate.
    These discs do have a limited life-expectancy.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

When I converted totally over to DVD (ditching, rebuying, or converting vhs to DVD) DVD discs were supposed to last for a 100 years! So far I've had none fail that I know of.

RAMA

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

In a perfect environment I'm sure the discs would last that long. However I doubt most people maintain a perfect 70 degrees with zero humidity day in and day out.

15. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I will say that the current bluray of ST II is not excellent. The clarity is there, but the colors are all shifted slightly to the Blue. Ceti Alpha V is now grey instead of Brown and that just isn't right.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't, and nothing's broken yet.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Really? I was going mostly by the large number of Amazon.com reviews. People seem to be quite happy with the picture. I haven't felt a need to buy the blurays because of a little noise reduction though.

RAMA

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

You also haven't had DVDs for 100 years.

19. Sean Aaron

The same was true for CDs though: a lot of outfits make the media and do the pressing and some are good quality and some are shit. It's only become apparent as the media get past the decade mark. I expect if I went through my CD collection (ripped over a year ago) and tried playing some of them I'd have problems as a lot of those discs are over a quarter-century old and frankly we were sold a bill of goods on their longevity.

I expect vinyl will turn out to be a more durable medium than any current optical format for the simple reason that it doesn't involve using adhesives to bond layers of plastic together sealing in a layer of material that's susceptible to oxidation.

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More durable if you never play the record, perhaps, but at least CDs aren't damaged by listening to them!