AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

While no plot has been leaked or alluded to for The Avengers the common assumption is that the story would follow the one that brought the team together in the first place. That being that Loki, to debut in the Thor movie, manages to manipulate the Hulk into doing his bidding by some means.

The first step is confirmed, that Loki will appear. Now we just need to know for sure if the story follows that he uses the Hulk like a pawn.

With all this casting news it seems clear the production is still on track for Spring. How cool would it be to get some type of teaser imagery during the Captain America movie!!

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, that's always seemed like a rash assumption to me. When have superhero movies ever adapted the actual first issue of the comic book?

I don't recall Michael Keaton or Christian Bale investigating the Case of the Chemical Syndicate, or Tobey Maguire fighting the Chameleon, or the Fantastic Four debuting against the Mole Man. Or Magneto attacking Cape Canaveral in his first battle against the X-Men.

Typically, the movie versions cherrypick the best bits and characters from the entire run of the series, instead of slavishly adapting issue #1. Which makes sense, since it typically takes several issues for all the classic elements of the comic book to fall into place.

The first SPIDER-MAN comic, for instance, didn't feature Mary Jane, J.J.J, or the Green Goblin, all of whom were introduced later.

So I'm not sure why anyone would assume that the AVENGERS movie is going to follow the plot of the first issue?

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

because they've got the Hulk in it and he didn't stick around?

my bet would be some kind of blend of the plot Avengers #1 and the Super-Human arc of The Ultimates.

Loki manipulates Hulk into attacking New York and the Ultimates, sorry Avengershave to beat him down as he tears up mid-town in a major slug-fest.

4. Captain Craig

Typically yeah. No argument there. What has most of fandom betting on this instance of a near literal adaptation is the sheer logic of it. They could of course create a new reason for cinematic purposes. They could cherry pick stories involving Hulk but why?

The smoothest, easiest and best reason to get the cinematic Avengers together can be done very similar to if not exactly like it's 4-color counterpart did it back in the '60s.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

More likely, they've got the Hulk in it because he's already had two movies, and they're combining all the characters from their movies franchises: Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow.

If they had the movie rights to Spidey, he'd probably be an Avenger, too! :)

Besides, Cap and Black Widow weren't in Avengers #1, so it's not like they're too worried about staying faithful to that one old issue.

Captain Craig: they don't need to just cherrypick stories involving the Hulk. They can use any old story and just stick the Hulk in it, the same way they're stick Cap and Natasha into whatever origin story they choose to tell.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. Captain Craig

Samuel L Jackson talks about his Marvel movies and Avengers involvement.
    So he has 3 solid months of work on Avengers then goes off and comes back to finish the shoot for an unspecified time frame. I wonder how they are aligning the actors shooting time. Hemsworth would need time in mid April I'd think to do press rounds for Thor. Likewise for Evans in July for Captain America.

At any rate the film will be in front of cameras by Spring and based on his report of 3+months Jackson is going to have a beefy role in the film.

7. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't that is the assumption, at least not in so many words. It's more of a deduction based on what is known about the film and how Avengers' origin stories have been told in the past.

We're not going to get the story from Avengers #1, or the story from the original Ultimates run, but something involving Loki and a rampaging Hulk seems like strong possibility (though far from a certainty, of course).

Personally, I think that, in any event, a "Loki manipulates Hulk" plot would be more like a subplot in the first half of the movie while a bigger threat is looming, rather than the main plot of the film.

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Sounds likely enough, but in the astronomically unlikely event that Whedon goes the Mark Millar route with the Hulk's characterisation, I may disavow the movie and leave. I think that there'll be a more character-based and story-based vibe to this movie than Millar's shock-tactic approach.

Sure, why not? I can't see Thor being a minor player, as he kind of brings mythology and adventure to the party. Cap has to be integrated in some significant way, though.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They might do what the Avengers' cartoon is doing and have the Skrull/Kree war be the plot.

10. captcalhoun

nah, they're not going to bring in aliens that fast.

i'd bet they'd do the Ultimates Homeland Security arc in Avengers 3, possibly after doing a Masters of Evil/Liberators type story in 2.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I have said from the start that I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a mixture of the 616 Avengers origin (the fact that Loki is now long been confirmed has me convinced) combined with the Ultimates opening arc. I think they're mix Loki messing around with the Hulk.

I still like my fan fic suggestion as to how to deal with a Skrull invasion and bring back Edward Norton! LOL. I'd reveal that the Mark Ruffalo Banner is a Skrull agent and that the Norton Banner was captured and escaped to help the heroes defend Earth from the impending invasion that would take place in the sequel.

12. Captain Craig

Some secondary shooting locations in Detroit Michigan have been nixed due to lack of confirmation on tax incentives.

Oh, well at least Detroit is getting the Robocop statue. :)

13. captcalhoun

i thought the mayor nixed that idea.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Captain Craig was joking about the statue.

15. Captain Craig

A little Q&A tossed out at Mark Ruffalo on the red carpet of the Oscars last night.

So, will Hulk be one part villain in the film as per speculation??
    Is he just being coy?
    Perhaps just having fun with reporters?
    Or is he giving non verbals via eyebrow raises so as to stay true to his non-disclosure clause in the contract?

16. Captain Craig

Stellan Skarsgard will be reprising his role of Dr.Selvig that he played in Thor.

Also, in other Avengers news(rumor?). Seems the mill is implying that Marvel has shot a secret trailer to debut in front of either Thor or Captain America.
    If there is any, I mean ANY truth to this rumor than I'd think they would wait till A)They have some actual Avengers footage(filming doesn't start till end of the month/April and B)not show it at least in front of Captain America since the Cosmic Cube doesn't appear till then AND Loki will already have debuted and be a known element.

17. captcalhoun

smells like BS to me.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. Captain Craig

The casting call sheet for extras in New Mexico has a revealing summary.

The rumor of the classic Kree/Skull story arc being incorporated has been around for a few months now. Seems they(Marvel) is going to have our team get together first via Hulk but that is going to serve as a segway into the Kree/Skull war via Loki using the cosmic cube. The Cube maybe the tool he uses to control the Hulk?

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

:confused: First time I've heard about Lou Ferrigno being involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.