(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're quoting the figures live on SSN just a little while ago. They're taking the figures from tomorrow's Daily Mail.

It would be great to see Kaka over here, and will obviously provide Milan with a significant warchest of their own.

I'm not a massive fan of rich benefactors throwing money around like there's no tomorrow, but still, it would be nice if someone could break the current top four monopoly in the Premier League. Having said that of course, Villa may achieve that this season, without going overboard on transfer fees!

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Wasn't me that said it, it was Thierry Henry a few years ago in a newspaper interview.

As for Villa, they've spent a lot more than we have in the last few years since Randy Lerner took over. Credit to them for pushing players like Gabby Agbonlahor through, but Young, Knight, Davies, Carew, Friedel, Young, Shorey, Sidwell, Reo-Coker etc weren't free.

3. Angel4576

^^ Accepted, but to be fair, the likes of Man United and Chelsea spend as much on one player than Villa would spend on 4/5.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

And Liverpool, of course, but I keep hearing terms like "Big Four" and "monopoly" thrown around. Arsenal typically either make a profit or come close to it in their annual transfer dealings.

I strongly believe that with the current economic climate it is as good a time as any to impose a wage budget cap linked to turnover on all clubs in Europe's top leagues.

If a club brings in £100m they can spend, for example, 70% of that on wages. That would have to be real money coming in through ticket sales, TV, merchandise etc, not "loans" from rich owners.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Isn't there supposed to be a credit crunch on? :lol:

At the end of the day City can spend all they want, it doesn't guarantee winning the league (See Derby County in the early nineties for further details)

It seems all the more obvious with each passing year that so much of Chelsea's success was down to Jose not the money. Or as Hannibal put it in the episode with a fake A-Team. "Nice squad, next time get yourself a team."

That said I think what villa need is a statement of intent, i.e. a really big money signing...just the right big money signing rather than Man City's 'he's expensive we'll have him approach'.

I can see City ending up the new Real, entertaining but incabale of consistently winning anything.

6. Angel4576

I wouldn't include Arsenal in any 'spending over the odds' statements. Wenger's very sensible in the transfer market and rarely, if ever, spends money just for the sake of it.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

You mentioned the "top four monopoly" which Arsenal are supposedly a part of - that's something I disagree with.

8. Angel4576

^^ Fair point. I believe that Arsenal are part of the 'top four monopoly'. That's not a bad thing in itself, just a sign of success over recent years.

Whilst Arsenal haven't achieved that in the same way that Chelsea have, ie. spending money like it's going out of fashion, they are one of the top four sides in England IMO.

I'd like to see someone break into that little group, if only to freshen things up a little. That's not to say that I hope they usurp Arsenal though, I'm much rather the likes of Chelsea re-find their 'natural' level.....

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^To be fair to them, the season before Abramovic turned up, Chelsea didn't have a pot to piss in and still qualified for the Champions League.

How things change, though - a week before Abramovic bought the club, Arsenal put in an offer for John Terry. Chelsea's finances at the time were in such a state that they wouldn't have been able to keep turning Arsenal down for long.

Now, Arsenal have serious on and off field problems and I'm really worried that if we don't qualify for the Champions League then that will be the end for us as a big club. I'm more worried about Arsenal now than I was back in 1994 when we finished 14th and were looking over our shoulders at the clubs beneath us.

10. Angel4576

^^ The problem is, with the advent of the rich benefactor, the gulf between the absolute top-end elite and the rest is getting even wider. No where is this more evidenced than by the fact that even a club of Arsenal size and stature are now being marginalised.

Soon, it's going to be a case of the super-rich elite taking the CL spots every season and everyone else just scratching around, trying to win the Uefa and League Cups.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Sometimes I wish I didn't support a big club. Stupid Wenger turning up and making us good again!

This second half of the season and this transfer window are vital for us. I don't begrudge Villa the right to challenge for the Champions League places, I just wish their challenge had come at a better economic time for my own club. We are struggling to hold on to what we've got left. I can't see the likes of Fabregas, Clichy and van Persie sticking around if we don't qualify for the Champions League.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

13. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's already the case that the rich teams are taking the CL every year. Just look at the final 16. Every year it's a collection of usual suspects. City will just be the latest additions to that collection. But lets not forget the new owners are businessmen first. Yes they want to build up their team to compete with the top clubs so expect a bit of crazy splurges in the market at first. However I can't see them sustaining this for the long run.

The reported salary offered by city is apparently £250k per week which isn't that crazy. We have about 5 baseball players and 10 basketball players here making more than that. Kaka is already on about £150k per week here. The transfer fee however is ridiculous.

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

It's a long, long time into the future that Man City are in the Champions League preliminary round, much less the last 16. Seriously, have you SEEN them this year? Absolutely terrible unless they're at home against bottom club no-hopers.

Kaka sounds pretty sure he's not leaving Milan. I don't blame him, not even for the stupid money he'd earn to help them stay up on the last day.

15. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I wouldn't say "long, long" time. Yeah they've been rubbish this season but it only takes a couple of world class defenders plus a couple of world class midfielders. I say 2 or 3 years should be enough if they can get Kaka. Once they get Kaka other superstars will come also.

Apparently according to Fox Soccer Channel Milan has accepted a bid of £132m for Kaka!! :eek: :eek:

Edited:

It looks like Kaka has turned the offer down. It was as reported before £100m.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  16. Angel4576

According to BBC Sport, it's all up to Milan now. Kaka's agent is claiming that the player is willing to speak to City and see what's on offer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7827696.stm

The 'rejection' pieces are based on comments that Kaka's made to Mediaset, who are owned by Berlusconi. Sounds to me as though Kaka's keeping his options open. Don't blame him.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Superstars don't guarentee success though. City seem obsessed with huge name signings rather than players who will improve the team.

And what happens if/when the Sheik gets bored?

Anyone else wondering how long Hughes will be in place for? To be honest if I was him I'd jump before I was pushed. He dodn't fit into the new big name structure...ironic that Eriksson probably did really!

18. Angel4576

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

KAKA is the biggest fool on the planet if he joins Man City, I don't care how much they want to pay him. I also don't care how rich the Man City owners are because if they pay Kaka anywhere from 250k to 500k a week then bringing in other top players will leave them to demand giant wages and simple fact 13th richest or not...they won't be able to support the club unless they feel like losing half there fortunes on a frickin football club.

Man City need to good solid players to start to challenge for a top 7 finish and then you can slowly bring in world class players later, they need a proper 5 year plan. If I was Mark Hughes I would want to do the following...

* Hart remains number 1 and have a look at U21 keeper "Joe Lewis" for cover

* Richards moved to right back

* Buy Steven Taylor & David Wheater who are young and have a brilliant partnership for U21's. Dunne kept as cover for at least 12 months with Kompany covering as CB/CDM with Richards as CB cover

* Wayne Bridge top left back but need new cover, someone young would be a good understudy (Bale maybe).

* With Michael Johnson injury prone of late need someone with PL experience and Jenas looks to be up for sale though Everton could be persuaded to sell Arteta for a good bid. SWP, Ireland, Petrov should be kept but I would also buy a holding type midfielder.

* Owen, Heskey should be brought in with Robinho playing either a forward role or winger role (Ireland could come inside instead of LW in that case). Daniel Sturridge kept with everyone else sold (Vassell, Benjani, Jo, Bojinov, Elano).

its a start.

20. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it seems like the more promising way for a football club with unlimited funds is, to start with hiring first class management (which Hughes isn't) and let those experts build up their team according to their vision. And not just buying random big names for obscene amounts of money. That might get you media attention, but not titles.