The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enjoying the series so far. The "mystery object" part has probably been my least favourite. It hasn't grabbed me in why I should care about it.

I thought that Kenya was going to get a glowing knife to the abdomen when she confronted Stahma at her home and was surprised she walked out alive. However, I guess her word might not carry too much weight. She is the mayor's sister and it can be dismissed as bias and she also was in a (short) relationship with Nolan. Throw in the fact she's a madam and we've seen that not everyone is thrilled with her line of work or business the Tars could find it easier to dismiss any claims she makes.

Glad to see that it will be coming back for a second season and am hoping for a great season finale.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So what's the deal with Good Irisa, Evil Irisa and the magic golden knot.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^What do you mean by "Evil Irisa?" The only "other Irisa" who appeared here was her younger self, the preadolescent one who appeared in her visions.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Maybe he means Rynn (spelling?) who appeared at the end?

They possibly need to find a way to visually differentiate the Irathient females more. I have at least one friend who has trouble telling them apart--and I'm not sure I would have recognized Rynn if Irisa hadn't addressed her by name.

5. teacake

I can't tell them apart! Who was that at the end, Rynn?! I never heard her say the name, I thought it was some other half of Irisa!

Now I feel real stupid.

6. Greg Cox

Don't feel stupid. Trust me, you're not the only person who has trouble telling them apart!

7. Christopher

Funny, I don't have any trouble telling Irisa and Rynn apart. Rynn is significantly taller than Irisa, has longer, darker, and elaborately braided hair, has a longer, narrower face with smaller, brighter yellow eyes, and wears a nose ring. And this is subjective, but I don't find her nearly as beautiful as Irisa/Stephanie Leonidas.

Anyway,
    I don't think that's the real Rynn in the final scene anyway. I think it's a hallucination induced by the gold artifact, like Quentin's hallucinations of Luke when he held the artifact.

8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Rynn is the one who murdered people in Defiance using hellbug pheromones. Its no surprise that the audience does not know her name, the few times it was mentioned on the show were mostly when they were speaking in alienese. Only game players would know her name.

9. teacake

But it was dark in the woods Christopher..

I like Rynn better because she looks more alien and less pretty. Which makes her more beautiful. And yes your spoiler speculation seems very likely.

10. Greg Cox

She was also prominently featured in the "stagecoach" episode, where she helped save the good guys from the evil E-Rep schemers before escaping into the wilderness . . ..

11. Christopher

I've never played the game and have no desire to do so, and I knew Rynn's name.

12. teacake

Then you get a special golden artifact to pin to your lapel.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Kind of funny, because I found the actress who plays Rynn (without her makeup) far prettier than Stephanie Leonidas.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Taking the makeup off is cheating.

15. Christopher

Well, I said it was subjective. But I'll grant that Tiio Horn does look a lot better out of the Irathient makeup than she does made up as Rynn. Leonidas manages to still look pretty good even with the makeup -- which makes sense, since she's the lead Irathient character, so the species's look was presumably designed with her features in mind.

16. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Tiio Horn is prettier than her defiance character Rynn in real life.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  17. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess you were right, he didn't orchestrate that betrayal with Kenya. :rolleyes:

18. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, if Nolan *hadn't* shot the boy, they could still get a little but of PR out of it - make him look like a inept lawman, unable to protect the mayor. I don't really know how they could have leveraged that to much of an advantage, but I'm sure Datak would have made a point about the deputy "hesitating" when it *looked* like the mayor's life was in danger. "He should have taken the shot, what if it HAD been a real gun!? The mayor would be dead!!"

There really wasn't any way that Nolan could have come out of it looking good....which I guess was the point.

19. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HOLLY SHTAKO!!!! DO I JUST SEE WHAT I SAW HAPPEN!?!?

I can never get the spoiler code working and I hate people who post what I call "non-spoiler spoilers" (when someone posts enough so that you can pretty much figure it out anyway) so that's all I'll say...but damn, I wasn't expecting THAT!!!

And on an unrelated note - anybody get the impression that the background Irathinet(sp?) are basically Defiance's version of Trek's "redshirts"!? Just canon fodder...seems like they off two or three of them a episode, LOL!

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They've made most of the Irathians out to be such utter douches it's kind of hard to care how many get killed off, lol.