Farscape or Babylon 5?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. Is he one of those villains who does bad things, and then says he's doing it to help the person/people? They usually get really annoying. He hurts people to get info, that means he's torturing them, its acually the definition of torture.

2. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

You people are terrible! Stop trying to shape his opinion, you'll just ruin it even more.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

All I'm saying is don't let what little you've seen of him cloud your later opinions of him. There is much more to him than meets the eye.

And now I'm done.

4. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Farscape was a great show!

Scorpius gets a lot more interesting, so just stick through with it.

Chiana.. Sadly does not. If you find her annoying now, then you will definitely find her annoying later. Don't get me wrong, she has her moments, and is not all bad, but for me, she was the worst character of Farscape. When you get to season 2, just skip through the third episode "Taking the stone". It's one of the worst episodes of Farscape (and also heavily focused on Chiana)

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who likes "Taking the Stone." :(

6. Nociod

Hehehe, wouldn't be surprised if that was the case :P

Tell me, did you like Scratch N Sniff as well? (I stopped after the first 10 minutes, for some reason, I felt ill after that. That episode must be even worse than Taking the Stone)

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Actually, no, "Scratch N Sniff" annoys the hell out of me.

8. Nociod

Hehehe, but luckily, those two episodes are the only real stinkers of Farscape.

I can only really think of one other moment in Farscape that made me cringe
    The whole Jothee/ Chiana fiasco :rolleyes:
    But the episode didn't stink as those two.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Quite possibly.
    Now see, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who likes 'Scratch N Sniff'! :p

Funny how that happens at times, no?

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"Scratch 'N Sniff" is fun. Chrichton's narration and the wacky editing really elevate the material. Plus, how could someone not love the window scene? Classic Farscape.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Call me weird, but my favourite bit is D'Argo's line "Eight steps. Small legs Human." Don't ask me why!

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Scorpius is one of my favorite sci-fi villains ever. I think Farscape did a great job giving us interesting villains, who were very rarely ever mustache twirlers.
    I don't mind "Taking the Stone", and I honestly have no recollection of "Scratch N' Sniff", which probably says a lot about how much I enjoyed it.

13. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like "Scratch N Sniff", dislike "Taking the Stone" and think "Coup By Clam" is the worst episode of the series, despite the fun of cross-dressing Crichton.

14. Nociod

Coup By Clam wasn't the best episode, but atleast it was watchable (despite getting to see Noranti urinating, yuck :p )

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I don't agree with that. He's always a villain, his methods ensure that regardless of his motivation.

However, he isn't always an antagonist. At times his interests and John's coincide.

16. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I don't know about that, I always felt that with just a slightly different treatment, the show could have been about Scorpius being the good guy and John ruining his plans and being the bad guy. It's one of the things I've always liked about Scorpius, it's easy to understand his motivations and the reasons he does some of the things he does, especially once you learn his back story. It's always made him one of the most interesting villains to me because it's believable. He's not bad just for the sake of being bad, he's has legitimate reasons to be that way.

17. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I enjoyed the fact that Scorpy had his own reasons for his actions, and given his history it all made sense. But the ends never justify the means in my book. He was great multilayered character though, a real treat to watch.

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Scratch 'N Sniff" is hilarious and one of season three's many great episodes. To the extent Farscape is called space opera on drugs that's probably as literal as it gets, some crazy sci-fi plot remembered through the haze of a party that went seriously south.

"Taking the Stone" is very dull, plodding and "Coup by Clam"... I'm pretty sure I can think of a worse episode than that if I try ("The Flux", maybe) but it is also pretty bad.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, when a Farscape episode is bad it's usually down to the whole thing just being boring. That one with the evil space wizard springs to mind. It's almost like an old episode of 'Doctor Who' in that there's a lot of talking and urgent running around, but not a lot actually happens. Or at least that's how it often felt. One of the drawbacks of being a show willing to push boundaries and try new things is that the risk of failure is always greater.

Oh and folks, we're getting dangerously close to spoiler territory, so how about we either use tags or just refrain from discussing episodes the OP hasn't seen yet?

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hidden Memory (Farscape) - This is the continuation of the story started in Nerve, and its actually a good episode. I don't know what it is exactly, but I liked this episode, unlike Nerve which I didn't care about. Maybe Moya's pregnancy helped make this memorable, but even the main part of the story was entertaining. I still say Scorpius is a generic villain with a leather/torture fetish, but atleast he did something besides just talk to the guy he's torturing. It was interesting that he did it to Crais, to. Do the peacekeeper just have no rules at all? It seems like anyone in power can do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't conflict with something a higher ranking officer is doing. Torturing a high ranking officer, killing people, its all fine, as long as you only torture/kill people who are lower rank than you. I'm surprised any Peacekeeper gets to a high rank, it seems like they'd be killed off first. I didn't really care about the blonde woman dying (I still don't know her name), she was a pretty useless love interest than John was never really interested in. The other prisioner was interesting. The unusualness of Moya's pregnancy was cool, her kid being born modified. I don't know how long the kid is going to be around (the show really has no use for two flying space ships, especially one that may be evil) but it should be an interesting story, probably mostly in Season 2. So, this episode gave me hope that Farscape can continue to be good, even with Scorpius making more appearances.