Star Trek Begins - A New Direction

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by StarTrekBegins, Jan 31, 2013.

1. StarTrekBegins

StarTrekBegins Ensign Newbie

[​IMG]

STAR TREK BEGINS is a web series based on the original Star Trek universe that will chronicle the early missions of the first commander of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701, Captain Robert April and his crew.

STAR TREK BEGINS will be done in a "modern-retro" style that mixes classic Trek design with touches of present technology in hopes of appealing to a wider audience while still remaining true to the original universe.

STAR TREK BEGINS is the manifestation of our passion for Star Trek, our love for film making, and our need as artists to be creative and make the series our own while still respecting the original vision of Gene Roddenberry and following official Trek history and canon.

Coming Fall 2013

http://www.star-trek-begins.com/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. StarTrekBegins

We have been looking for an updated version of the TOS Enterprise and have looked at a refit version by MadMan, but were never quite satisfied with that ship because it looked a little too much like the TMP Enterprise. (below)

[​IMG]

Then we found Evil Genius 180's updated Enterprise model. This was closer to what we were looking for, so we contacted him about using it, and he allowed us. (below)

[​IMG]

Then we saw Vektor's updated Pike Enterprise model, which would also be the April Enterprise. So we now hope to contact him and ask him if we may use his beautiful model. This would be perfect for our web series. (below)

[​IMG]

Vektor also has a version with the traditional spinning nacelle intake globes.

[​IMG]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Trek-Begins/264113897042141

3. StarTrekBegins

Since our web series takes place after 'Enterprise' and before TOS, we wanted a uniform that would fit between the periods. And since the April TOS period of Trek history has never been "officially" done (by CBS/Paramount), this gives us more creative freedom with our designs. The interesting thing is how close our uniform design is to the uniform that was being worn by Pike in the 'Into Darkness' prequel IDW comic. We've had these uniforms back in 2011, long before the comic book panel was revealed.

[​IMG]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Trek-Begins/264113897042141

4. StarTrekBegins

We are looking into using either the Farragut Films starship sets in Georgia, or the Starship Ajax sets in Oklahoma. The Farragut sets would be closer to our home base (North Carolina), but they charge a fairly steep rental fee. The Ajax sets are about three times the travel distance, but they offer the use of their sets freely (but I'm sure they would appreciate a donation to their studio). So we have to compare travel cost & distance to the Ajax sets to rental cost of the Farragut sets. This will be the determining factor in which sets we use.

We would also love to be able to do some "re-dressing" of their sets to make the bridge look more like the Pike bridge. This would be done by simply covering things like the bridge railing with cloth and slipping a cover around the helm/navigation console. We would not be repainting or do anything to damage the surface of their sets. So the ability or the permission to "re-dress" the bridge will be a factor too.

Now, if we have to use the bridge set as is, then this is how our Captain April bridge would appear with our uniforms. (below) Yes, we have a female Orion communications officer. :techman:

[​IMG]

The Pike bridge below. We wouldn't be able to completely duplicate it but maybe we could do a few safe redressing things to change the look a little.

[​IMG]

http://www.star-trek-begins.com/

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It all looks very nice. Have you begun to assemble your cast yet?

6. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

That sounds great and all, but I would probably wait untill you have something actually set up with the parties that be, before you announce what you plan on doing with their bridge sets. I also don't think that the cost factor should be discussed in a forum like this, as that should be kept between you and whichever group you end up renting from.

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

My impression is that the Ajax group has a very open policy for sharing. Farragut has a lot of use of their sets, and I was told their charges are higher than some of the other's charges, including Phase II.

8. StarTrekBegins

Captain Atkin, that is only your opinion as to what should or should not be discussed, and we do not believe we revealed any confidential info here; we are merely sharing what we hoped to do with the sets in order to recreate the Pike bridge, because the question about trying to mimic the Cage bridge has been asked before.

And for you information, we have talked with the people involved with both Trek production studios about the use of their sets and we will not get into details here as to what we talked about, but that is how we know the rental cost for the Farragut sets and that Ajax has offered us the use of their sets at no change.

We have simply provided this info to show that this is a serious production and that we have and that we are taking steps to "make it so".

9. StarTrekBegins

One more thing, this web series production has not been developed overnight. We first talked with Farragut Films when they were building their first sets in the smaller warehouse in Georgia. That is when we also first discussed re-dressing their sets for our web series.

10. StarTrekBegins

Tom, we have some of the principal roles cast with actors we have worked with in the past and are about to hold auditions for the remaining principal roles. We have also cast first episode specific featured roles as well.

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^ I believe what Captain Atkin said is akin to making the fact you have two job interviews with two awesome companies and naming them in a public place like here or facebook. It can be a bad idea if there's a chance both parties can see your posts here.

That's why when I had a bunch of interviews with different schools, I didn't tell anybody except for my wife and our parents... I did mention having interviews here, but I did not name any entities for anyone to connect my posts to me.

12. StarTrekBegins

We are not posting anything here that is not open to anyone to find out. We have not given any "number" as to the Farragut fees, but to say they were kinda steep for our non-profit volunteer production. But with that said, they have every right to set their own price because their sets are top notch and provide all the original sets created for the actual TV show. They are very impressive. We don't think making a comment like this is any different than saying a certain restaurant is expensive, but they have great food.

Starship Ajax has posted openly (including on Facebook) that their sets are to free to use by anyone making a Trek fan production, but they would appreciate any and all donations.

We plan to initiate a fund raising campaign either on Kickstater or IndieGoGo to fund us for either Farragut's rental cost or the travel expense to the Ajax sets. We'll just have to see how the fund raising goes and which options best fits our production budget.

13. StarTrekBegins

Also, if anyone has an interest in being involved with our production, be it behind or in front of the camera, you can send your information to:

submissions@star-trek-begins.com

14. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

Kel - I can verify here that the use of our
    sets in OKC are indeed free to use by anyone
    (as that was one of the purposes of building it).

We will be more than happy to discuss "other
    costs" though, just to make sure everyone is
    absolutely clear on all aspects (lodging, meals,
    costumes, etc... that we do not cover).

15. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Axanar is retro-fitting the Phase II bridge to represent the USS Ares, other Starfleet ships of the time and a brand new Enterprise (which makes a small appearance in space dock) as Robert April is a major character in our film and Garth of Izar's mentor.

Would be happy to discuss how we are doing that, though it involves, taking out all the red (railing, doors), changing displays, adding color to the big black control panels to separate the sections, etc.

Alec

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Alec, when are you going to shoot in NY?

17. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

This Fall. Sep/Oct.

18. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

James (Cawley) retro-ed his Bridge set
    for "In Harm's Way", and very well done, at that!

Our bridge (in OKC) can be done
    the same way, and probably will be
    at some point for someone else's
    project... It'll actulally be cool to
    create & see the transformation.

19. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I assumed that you had talked to both groups before you posted, but that doesn't mean you should start discussing the financial costs of using their bridge sets on a public forum. That stuff should be kept confidential, in my opinion; especially when you haven't decided yet which bridge set you are going to use. Yes, the Ajax sets are free to use, but bare in mind that people donated money to assist in the restoration of the Ajax bridge (myself included) to help keep it that way.

Anyways, best of luck with your production. I look forward to seeing it when it is done.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

FYI, before this thread opened I knew the prices for both sets and although I wouldn't post them (they could change, and also I assume they WOULD change if, for example, the production needed to redress the set in some way) so those prices aren't secret. I am not nor am I planning to do anything but WATCH fan films and organize my index to make it easy for other people to WATCH fan films... so I just picked up the information from public places hanging around Trek forums, websites, and Facebook pages.