The era of the next series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Gaius, Mar 21, 2012.

?

The next series should take place

1. before the events of ENT.

2.3%
  2. between the events of ENT and TOS.

20.9%
  3. between the events of TOS and TNG.

11.6%
  4. after the events of VOY.

65.1%
  1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love a show set around 2075-2080. A few years after first contact with the Vulcans, Earth's problems of becoming a global community, our first steps into a bigger universe. Stuff like that.

2. Darrell Pitt

Darrell Pitt Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you. I am Harry Kim, no longer.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

After Voyager is not enough anymore I think. The future has already moved on with Nemesis and Countdown. I'd like to see a show set after Countdown, dealing with the destruction of Romulus and its implications. I'd also like to see more of Federation politics ... another space travel show would be the same old thing, I'd say make it more DS9ish!

4. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Aw, hell. I'd like to see someone film the entire Destiny trilogy.

5. Darrell Pitt

I haven't read those. What are they about? And I'm assuming they're good, otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting turning them into a new series.

6. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Damned good. A multi-series epic story involving the last Borg invasion of the alpha quadrant. Radical. That's all I'll say.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never read them either, but I have to ask: are the Borg really a threat anymore?

After Voyager defeated them so many times in the DQ, then got back home packing Borg-fighting technology, how much of a threat could they still pose? Ok, maybe if they sent in several thousand Tactical Cubes then they would finally have the advantage, but ultimately their weaknesses would be exploited once again.

I think the next series should just forget about the Borg, Dominion and Romulans, and try a different hostile (personally I'd like to see more done with the Breen).

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not to give too much way about the Destiny novels, let's just say they're no longer a threat to the Federation afterward--or to anyone else, for that matter...
    [​IMG]

9. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed New Foes.

I don't think the Breen can go it alone although the Federation still owes them an @sskicking for their attack on Earth but I think the Typhoon Pact makes a workable foe. Start the next show during a build up to war and then get into the war in later seasons. Maybe something like Game of Thrones in that u build up to war in the first season but things down hit high gear until the second.

10. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

The 2420s

11. Darrell Pitt

Hmm. I rather like the sound of those. I'll read them when I get a chance.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All Star Trek eras are the same. Whatever era they claim a project is taking place in, they'll tailor and rearrange any existing notions about that time to suit whatever they want to do from week to week.

13. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Maybe you are right, but setting the series about 20-30 years after the events of Voyager should give the writers freedom to use cameos from 3 other Star Trek series, a fact witch in my opinion would bring back some fans of TNG/DS9/VOY and that would be nice, also we could know some stories about what happened with the USS Titan, with the crew of Voyager and maybe some visits to DS9 so in my view the perfect time is after VOY.

14. Darrell Pitt

I agree. That's a nice idea. I suppose it would have to be a Star Trek - Alternate History series though as the new movie really upends the old series.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That may be true.

16. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am for a ENT-TOS story. My vote would be for the Romulan-Earth War. I like it because it can be a little more gritty, yet still have a powerful message of hope as many diverse races all come together for a greater good. I know that technically the Enterprise crew is still around but I would like to see a different ship, with maybe a cameo here and there.

Considering a person as a lead actor, I am going to throw out Michael Biehn. The guy has Aliens and Terminator credibility. A good tough actor that a TV program could get on the cheap. Put him in charge of a hodge podge Earth military ship in a desperate fight against an evil empire that is faceless and merciless in its attacks. I see a great show or at least a Mini Series.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would go further than 20-30 years, and distance the show from previous eras we had a circa 70 years between the end of TUC and TNG. Why not go to the 29th/30th century where Starfleet monitors the timeline was well. You can have traditional space exploration but occasional visits to toehr periods.