Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, excellent news. Now I'm looking forward to continuing my Farscape journey even more.

Yeah, that was pretty much where I was coming from. I was hungry for a new sci-fi series, and it basically came down to either this or NuBSG. This seemed more up my alley, although I may yet give BSG a shot some day.

2. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Well, good news, Daneel, I have high expectations that you won't be disappointed. Definitely a good series, and you're about to enter the best part of it... :-)

Like others, this definitely hits my top 5 favorite series of all time. I liked nuBSG for a while, but the series kind of wore me out chasing its own tail after a while and I never even caught the last half of the 4th season after the big cliffhanger.... to this day, I still don't even know (or really care, much) how it ended...

3. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Watching ...Different Destination right now and I noticed that there is the name Andy engraved in Harvey's boots. Funny to think that the neural clone of Scorpius likes something as fluffy as Toy Story.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm around the same place as Daneel.

I just watched the Something Dog episode after the Princess trilogy. I really like this show and the fact they go to different worlds that feel different, unlike Stargate. I like the fact there is an overall arc to the show, but the show isn't weighed down by it.

My favorite is the fact that a stand alone episode si sometimes brought into more depth like the one where John made it home to a made up Earth. The alien was just trying to see if Earth was paradise. In turn we find out that he sticks in some help with wormhole technology to help John make it home, which leads to the bad guy of the show wanting John.

There are few black / white moments on the show, you think the creator is "bad" but it's just living it's life, it needs to eat, and you feel bad for them. The "heroes" are all flawed but deep deep down mainly care for each other, even if it's after they care for themselves.

I'm enjoying the show a lot and sad that I'm almost to the halfway point. :(

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm gratified that my little thread has been useful for others to discuss their first times watching the show, too. Keep it coming, folks! It also helps keep the thread alive when I have days in between episodes.
    QUOTE=RoJoHen;4670893]I actually enjoy "Meltdown." I've never understood the hate it receives.[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't say I hate it, per se. Saying that it "sucked" might have been rather harsh, in hindsight. I didn't like it, but it's still not necessarily an episode I'd skip when doing a rewatch. It did use Stark to a greater degree than most episodes seem to, which is a plus.
    Your patience will be rewarded.
    Tell me about it! I'm halfway through season three. I don't want to think about this experience ending, but I don't really have that much left to watch.

Scratch 'n Sniff
    - My first real amused moment with this episode came when I was only about a minute into it, with the quick flashback to John and D'Argo grumbling about which one of them pissed off Pilot. They really do act like brothers.

- I can't really formulate any thoughts on specific aspects of this episode. As a whole piece, it's probably the most hilarious and outright insane episode of anything I have ever seen - and I loved it. I don't have a single quibble with anything.

Infinite Possibilities Part I: Daedalus Demands
    - It's cool to see the show returning to what seemed like a one-off story back in season one with Furlow's return. I know I was told not to forget about that episode, but actually reaching this point is different from knowing that I needed to keep it in mind. I also think it's neat to have "Jack" the Ancient playing a larger, obvious role in an episode.

- Aeryn, Crichton, and Crais are becoming a pretty good team in ground assaults.

- Rygel hasn't seemed to have a lot to do so far in this season, so I find the fleshing-out of Hynerian history regarding the Charrids interesting. We haven't seen him in a vengeful mood since Durka and I don't know that I blame him for "interrogating" the prisoner, based on that history. Watching him operate the cannon was pretty fun too.

- I commented during a previous episode that I didn't think there was a more dysfunctional duo than Rygel & Stark. Watching Stark trying to aid Crais with Talyn makes me reconsider a bit. "Oh, great. The half-blind leading the blind," indeed, Rygel. :lol:

- Holy crap. Harvey in full control of John's body? Talk about scary to have two Scorpys in the physical realm... Also, Browder does a good job with his own version of Scorpy's speaking style.

- Good episode. Nicely tense with the ticking clock of the approaching Scarren dreadnought and the need to destroy the module copy to keep the Scarrens and Charrids from gaining wormhole technology. Some good old-fashioned "shooting shit up" with the assault on the compound and the subsequent defense, especially giving Rygel an opportunity for active involvement operating the cannon.

Infinite Possibilities Part Two: Icarus Abides
    - I said "scary" before, but now have to add "creepy" due to this episode's teaser and Harvey's comment about "sharing" Crichton's body with Aeryn. As entertaining as Harvey has been, I'm still damn glad (this?) Crichton's hitchhiker is gone and that Harvey wasn't able to hold onto his body (though that could have been an interesting storyline...).

- Rygel requesting food in order to keep his energy up and push through the pain of his shrapnel wound is impressive bravery from an individual who so rarely shows courage. It's always nice to see Rygel rising above his base instincts for flight. I hope that at some point he realizes that's capable of more than running, just as we the audience are given opportunities to see.

- I'm not at all surprised that Furlow turned on Crichton and company, that she had been playing them the entire time. She's too much of a slimy businesswoman to not pursue a deal with the Scarrens.

- Aeryn agreed to go back to Earth with John! Even though they don't end up living there, I'm glad she had decided to do so. Particularly bittersweet contrasted with this Crichton sacrificing himself to save the others. I'm now expecting that, post-crew reintegration, Aeryn and the other John will be estranged for a time.

- The writers were pretty devious here, allowing one Crichton to interact with "Jack" and have his hidden wormhole knowledge unlocked so that he could use it as a weapon, yet then have that Crichton die so that one-Crichton moving forward still has to work for the knowledge.

- Crichton's goodbye scene was very sad, of course, but just as poignant, I thought, was Stark saying "I have no prayer for this" as the Scarren dreadnought was destroyed by the displacement weapon.

- Over these last two episodes, the show is really screwing with Aeryn. Both episodes have closed with her crying over Crichton's body.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The first time I saw this episode, the tension in that scene was absolutely insane. Watching the Dreadnought get swallowed up by the wormhole was super intense, and the silence that followed was unbelievably eerie. To have that silence broken by Aeryn's crying (of all things!), "Crichton, are you--?"...I had chills. Absolutely fantastic.

Obviously, Crichton's death was super depressing, and yes, it was really sneaky of the writers to basically give John everything he wanted -- the power of wormholes, the ability to go home, his dream girl agreeing to go home with him, and Harvey removed from his mind -- only to kill him off, yet still leaving a Crichton intact on the other ship.

Things are about to get weird.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

You have no idea. Wait until you see the next episode. :(

8. bigdaddy

I got got to a scene in which the slug man is wiping John! Best scene ever!

9. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

I still can't watch that death scene with Aeryn/Critchon without getting choked up. The way those bells ring...Aeryn's expression, the way she tentatively closes his eyes after he dies...it's just tragically perfect. An amazing two-parter that really sets up the rest of the arc throughout the Peace Keeper wars.

As for Scratch N' Sniff.......I wasn't as a big a fan of that one. Parts of it were pretty clever and amusing but parts of it just didn't work for me.

Heading down the home stretch now with some uneven episodes until you get to the amazing two-parter at the end.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Way We Weren't is the only good episode on the Complete Series disc as I'm finding out. I'll probably not be watching Home On the Remains, Picture if You Will, or Dream a Little Dream anytime soon... if ever.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Indeed. I actually just skipped over that entire disc tonight. I love "The Way We Weren't," but I've watched it way too many times, and I didn't see the point in watching any of the other episodes on that disc.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just listened to the Ben/Claudia commentary for TWWW last night. I could listen to them banter for hours on end. They're really good a doing commentaries... as opposed to Brian Henson.

13. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, Infinite Possibilities is super-tragic. Just re-watched it myself last night, actually... You really have to feel terrible for poor Aeryn by the end of this... All this growth that John has led her toward from her beginnings and now, just as she's made some major emotional breakthroughs, he's now left her...

Yeah, there's another one, but I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that, to her, she's going to just see the living John as 'the copy'...

'Strained' doesn't even begin to cover their relationship once they meet back up...

Of course, this super-intense two parter is sandwiched by two of the most insane episodes of the series. You've seen 'Scratch n Sniff', trust me, 'Revenging Angel' will be just as weird... You'll either love it or hate it...

14. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone have a link to that fabulous John/Aeryn romantic music video that made the rounds a few years ago? I can't remember the music so I'm having a hard time finding it. Neroon, I think you know the video I'm talking about. Someone help me remember so I can find it?

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Now I'm watching "The Locket," which I haven't seen in about 4 years, and I'm getting all weepy. Damn this show.

16. label

I believe you're talking about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTHlFYZJS94

Sad, sad scenes. :(

17. label

Don't worry about it.......I'm not even watching the show right now and just watching the video I posted in the previous post got to me. For me, there are only a few relationships that work as well as Critchon and Aeryn.....in fact, only Sheridan/Delenn comes to mind..............

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Crichton and Aeryn is a lot stronger mainly because they didn't lose the strength in character they individually had. One of my problems with Sheridan/Delenn was it seemed like things got too mushy and it affected them individually too much. I think there was even a scene where Delenn wanted to get away from Sheridan for a while because it effected everything else in both their lives.

With Chrichton and Aeryn, that coolness factor remained all throughout the relationship and the character development was a lot stronger. I consider it the standard on how to do a good relationship, and no other series has gotten close to it ever.

19. bigdaddy

I just started season 3. I like the new beginning and the show I can feel is really shifting into a new place.

20. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

YES YES YES! Thank you! I thought it was "My Immortal", but I kept hitting a different Farscape video with the same music.