Dollhouse: ep 2x9/2x10-Stop Loss&The Attic Grading,Comments SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Dec 18, 2009.

?

How do you grade Stop-Loss & The Attic: Dollhouse 2x9/2x10??

Poll closed Apr 17, 2010.
  1. EXCELLENT

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. ABOVE AVERAGE

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. AVERAGE

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. BELOW AVERAGE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. POOR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. J47

J47 Commander Red Shirt

Re: Dollhouse: ep 2x9/2x10-Stop Loss&The Attic Grading,Comments SPOIL

I loved "Stop Loss," but the execution of "The Attic" reminded me too much of the countless Holodeck-goes-awry episodes for me to really enjoy it, though I do appreciate what they were trying to do.

2. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Funny I preferred The Attic to Stop Loss.

3. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I thought The Attic was better as well. It really feels like the show is building up to something big.

4. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

The only thing that I wish was a bit more consistent, was the pacing of time, and a visual/audible reference to what the date is (more often, that is). That's something that lets me get into the story some, oddly enough, especially when many of the episodes seem to take place within days (if not hours) of each other. I wish some of Rossum's plans surfaced a bit earlier, but take what you can get, I guess.

Also...
    I just had a thought, I think he lost his memory about Mellie/November/Madeline.

As for "Epitaph One" being in the attic? It's possible, Joss has done other interviews for this series that says something goes one way, while it actually went another way. I think it's real though, considering what we saw. I think the real mistake is probably that "Epitaph One" is set in 2019, a few years earlier would probably have made more sense, unless Armageddon was several years earlier, and 2019 portrays things as if that's what a good chunk of the words population know life as what we saw,

5. Awesome Possum

I think that Epitaph One took place a good bit after things went bad. The Actuals seemed to be used to what was around them for the most part.

As for the timing of episodes. Echo thought it was 2010 and they may have assumed that the episode was going to air then when they picked the date.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they thought at the time it would be in '10. After all who would have expected them to start airing two episodes a night?

7. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Who didn't laugh when they heard that line? :guffaw:

8. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

My husband didn't. He was :confused:, especially at me :lol:. After I explained it to him, he chuckled.

I do hate having to explain a joke.

9. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I smiled when they set Viktor up at the Hyperion hotel.

10. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I assumed they removed something major from Paul (like the ability to experience happiness) rather than just a few memories.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

EXCELLENT!!!

While Stop/Loss was Above Average flirting with excellence The Attic nailed it.
    I didn't see the twist coming of the Attic actually being the secret power of Rossum. I got a 'Matrix' vibe when it was all being explained.

"I've run the scenarios and all but 3% end in an apocolyptic, civilization destroying scenario"

This show is going to be found on DVD by sci-fi fans in the months ahead and wonder why they didn't DVR it or watch it outright. This show is quickly adding fuel to the "cult hit" status maker.

12. StarshipDefiant

I agree, and must wonder if the show would have been better off to start showing some of these realizations within season one, with some of the elements in this episode slowly building up to something much bigger at this point in season 2.

13. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing I really like about these current episodes is that they help elevate all those boring "engagement of the week"-standalones from the beginnings of both seasons and make them more meaningful.

Like, when last week, Echo jumped back and forth between the assasin from "Man on the Streets" and Taffy(?) from episode three.

Or this week, when she combined Elennor Penn and Roma Klar.

Although those standalones weren't exactly the shining moments of the show, at least this way they contribute to the main arc.

14. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do people keep spelling "Victor" with a "k", as "Viktor"?

Minor annoyance. Sorry!

15. Awesome Possum

They did seem to be building to Epitaph One towards the end of the first season. The one where Echo was imprinted with the dead woman stands out, especially for Boyd's comment about what this could lead to.

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

You know, when Clyde let slip that his buddy might've been a woman, and Cylde 2.0 might've switched bodies, I started to think maybe DeWitt was the founder, and Cylde 2.0 was Topher. That seems to have been discounted by the revelation that DeWitt is still on the side of the angels, but there's definitely something to preview of the uber-bitch and her science-nerd lackey.

Maybe they just intentionally set up that dynamic at every Dollhouse.

17. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Clyde 2.0 is probably Bennett (River Tam... errrrr... Summer Glau).

18. Awesome Possum

Neither have the Active architecture since the Disruptor didn't bother them.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Harding was Clyde 2.0.

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think we've already had indications that Topher, Bennett and Adelle aren't dolls, but the writers could always add something about Clyde 2.0 being different from all the other dolls (not susceptible to the Disruptor, for instance).

20. StarshipDefiant

Harding probably is either Clyde 2.0 as he's around a lot or the actual original founder with Clive Ambrose or whatever being 2.0, I don't know quite yet. Whoever it is though, we most likely have already seen who the co-founder and Clyde 2.0 is, even if it's not so obvious.

I'm looking forward to the return of Summer Glau and Amy Acker, the latter of which will be in two episodes!

I also wonder what's going on between Topher and Ivy (His assistant/gofer), she seemed rather spiteful of him, could that be a part of 'the plan' or what she learned of him? If it's the latter, would she figure out it was to help someone and ease up on him, or does she now hate him forever? I also like how she's gotten more screen time in the last couple episodes, and hope she gets a little more before the final episode airs.

Just a random note for anyone that doesn't know, and might be interested, they've finished filming for the series and held the wrap party Friday night.