AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Yes you would. She's has superstrength, can fly, and shoot/absorb energy. Moreover, her whole origin is tied to the Kree (and to Mar-Vell, though you can cut that out if you want).

I don't think there was any need to have Jane in the film. Thor didn't have any downtime, and returned to Asgard immediately with Loki. That sensibly leaves his own storylines to continue in his next movie.

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hulk owned this movie. I had a great time.

3. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah thank you. Everybody was laughing and I couldn't hear what he said.

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

And there was even a scene in the movie (scripted for sure, not sure if it was filmed) where Cap goes and visits her. Would have been a nice touch and given Evans a little more to do, as I felt he was a tad overshadowed by the others.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The movie seemed to take a while to get going and I was alittle bored of the car chase but once we start meeting the various Avengers and catch up with them the movie really got going. I loved the various hero on hero battles and the general dysfuction of the team until the they needed to come together to save the helicarrier.

The haliecarrier and the scenes on it was a fan's dream come true, I loved the cloaking device too. And Tony and Steve's attempts to save the carrier were fantastic and showed true teamwork and I think Steve's antics to help Tony were even more exciting than the scenes around the Burj in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. And I loved all the various character moments as well, I really liked how even Nick Fury had some hidden depths too.

The final battle in New York was fantastic, I loved Cap's orders and how wild it all got, even with the various Avengers getting tired and still going on. Tony's selflessness was a nice touch and the Hulk's line of "Puny god" was pricless. And it was great seeing some of the other characters from the other movies like Pepper Potts and Eric Selvig and I like the mention of Jane Foster too.

I would LOVE to see a SHIELD movie now. And I really liked that some of the movie was filmed in Cleveland last summer.

6. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

You have Fury introduce her with a simplified (maybe even fake) origin: a gamma radiation thing, or hint that someone rediscovered the super-serum.

If you actually have the legal rights to the Kree on film at all (I'm surprised by what Marvel let go, and thought maybe the Kree were connected to the Fantastic Four rights), then you reveal the truth in a subsequent film. Or do something new. The film's Ms Marvel doesn't need, and probably shouldn't have, as complicated a back-story as Carol Danvers.

You'd still have revealed more than we actually know, from the films, about the Black Widow. We know she "was" Russian, was an assassin before Hawkeye turned her around, and shares a name with the last Tsar. What else do we know? And Hawkeye: he can see things real good-like. What else?

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'd love to see Ms Marvel done in the sequal, possibly not the 2nd movie, maybe the 3rd if they get around to it...

If they bring in the Kree, which I doubt, they could explain Ms Marvel away that way...

My personal 'storyline' of choice for her would be to first write her in as a SHIELD member... one of their pilots that launches from the helicarrier... perhaps a survivor from the new york battle when her plane got blasted by energy weapons fire from Loki's forces, or got caught in the discharges from the tesseract... the energy muted her body and left her with Ms Marvel's powers... moving more towards 'half asgard' than the typical 'half kree' storyline

M

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

If they add any Avengers in the sequel, I would guess Ms. Marvel and Vision would be the likely choices.

9. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Which film company owns the rights to the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? I was assuming Fox, because of the Magneto connection. They, with Hawkeye, were the first members inducted into the Avengers after Hulk left.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I just got back from seeing this. I'm generally not drawn to superhero teams, but...

:techman: :techman: :techman: A+

I laughed my fool head off, not because it was stupid but because it was just awesome. So many good moments. Nice that the trailers didn't show any of the really good stuff in the film.

My favourite moment, though, is Hulk going somewhat WWF almost a la Looney Toons on Loki. :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

On that note I think this is the best depiction of Hulk we've had to date. And Mark Ruffalo is also the best Bruce Banner I've ever seen. :techman:

I'm still grinning...

11. Methos

definitely agreed there...

i'm not overly a fan of The hulk... and after the last 2 movies, i was set for him to be the dissapointment of the movie and the rest of the characters to bascially carry it...

oh how wrong i was... Hulk was amazing... fantastically well done, both as Banner and Hulk :D

M

12. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I think Ruffalo is kinda Bixbyesque in the role.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Hulk movie is still the only one of the series I haven't seen, but Ruffalo did an amazing job in this movie. I'm not a big fan of Norton and that's largely why I avoided that film, anyone care to let me know if it's really worth watching compared to the others?

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I quite liked the Ed Norton Hulk overall. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't crazy about the previous Eric Bana version.

I still haven't seen Thor although now I'm thinking about it. It's just that I'm not into Thor. In Avengers he does okay, but he doesn't really interest me.

Tony Stark is such a dick, but thats also what makes him funny as hell.

I also have to say I much preferred Caps WW2 costume. This new one didn't work for me, particularly the cowl/helmet.

15. Methos

i thought both the previous hulk movies were wastes of celluloid / digital time...

actually, pretty sure i fell asleep in the theatre during the second movie...

M

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Just got back from my second viewing - an almost unheard of act for me this early in a run. With this and "Cabin in the Woods", I seriously doubt that Joss Whedon goes back to television. There is virtually nothing I would change about this film. Everything seemed to work and work well. Of course, I know next to nothing about the Avengers universe, even before comparing what little I know to most others in here. But maybe that's part of why I was so completely over the moon about the movie.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on if they're going to keep the whole cast they have already. Two more members might crowd it out a bit. I'd go with an "Agents of SHIELD" flick with Fury, Hawkeye, Black Widow and the gang that introduces either Ms. Marvel or a female Vision as some sort of antagonist they have to tame/turn to their side to face the real villain. In the case of Vision you could even have it/her as the crux of the plot, with them and the villains both trying to get their hands on some crashed alien pod that Vision is inside of. This would serve to both keep these characters busy while Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2 sent those characters off away from SHIELD and also to introduce the new character so they don't have to do it in the next Avengers film.

18. Methos

even if you knew everything about the Avengers universe, you'd still love this movie Neroon lol

I've been an Avengers fan since the early 90's, through multiple incarnations of the team... and this movie, is pretty much as perfect to the Avengers as you're going to get...

I'll admit that the movie is more Ultimates based than the usual comic series, but i'm perfectly happy with that lol

M

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they're tied up with Fox, but there was an interview shortly after Avengers premiered with Kevin Feige who talked about them appearing in a sequel. Apparently either Fox or Marvel can use them.

I'd like to see Ant-Man and Wasp. I read an article which reveals that Wasp was involved in a very early draft of the script for Avengers.

20. Methos

at the very least i can see Captain Mar-Vel appearing in the next movie, either starting in Iron Man 3 or Thor 2...

With Thanos appearing at the end of the Avengers movie, it's pretty much a given that they'll use someone like Mar-Vel as Thanos primary hero / storyline...

M