Favorite Episode

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain McBain, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

What is your favorite episode which show the following characters (in any capacity), and why?

A) Q

B) Dr. Pulaski

C) Lwaxana Troi

D) One of Data's parents

E) No-name ensign/Lt., etc., who gets killed (any series)

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Interesting topic. I'll start things off.

My favorite Q episode is "Q Who" from TNG's second season. This episode marked our first meeting with the Borg, as well as a great scene between Q and Guinan in Ten Forward.

Dr. Pulaski was only aboard Enterprise for one year, so it's hard to pick an episode featuring her. "Unnatural Selection" was an interesting episode that had Pulaski as its main character. As far as my favorite episode that merely has her in it, that would have to be "Time Squared." I've always liked time travel episodes, and this is one of the best because it's never explain (on screen) why Picard's double was thrown back into the past.

My favorite Lwaxana Troi episode is actually from DS9. It's "Fascination" from the third season. Most people don't like this episode, but it's a nice change of pace from the episodes surrounding it. It also has several great scenes with Odo, who's always unintentionally entertaining.

I don't know if it counts, but I like "Birthright." Dr. Soong appears in Data's dream sequence. I like the episode more for the Klingon/Romulan storyline at the prison camp Worf finds while looking for his father, however.

No name ensign? "Lower Decks" is a great episode for this. Even though Sito Jaxa appeared in only two episodes, her character was well-played and extremely likeable. I'm always deeply moved during the scene in which Picard announces her passing to the crew. The music combined with the sad undertone of the overhead chime as Picard begins his address makes this a sad but powerful moment in TNG.

--Sran

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

A) Tapestry. This is the hardest decision because Q has like three of the best five TNG episodes.

B) Q Who, the best episode of season 2 IMO.

C) Menage a Troi, by virtue of being pretty much her only non-skip episodes. Maybe one or two of her Odo special friendship eps.

D) Do any of Data's ancestors count? (IOW, can I include the ENT Eugenics trilogy?) If not, probably Brothers. The season 7 ones are not so good.

E) This doesn't narrow it down very far. I guess Q Who again.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Was Muldaur in Q Who?

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

...Was there any season 2 episode without Muldaur?

If she really wasn't, then Measure of a Man.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Actually, it looks like she wasn't. Good call!

--Sran

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

A) Tapestry
    B) Unnatural Selection
    C) Half a Life
    D) Cold Station 12 (technically, Data's distant ancestor)
    E) I believe he had a name, but I must pick the cadet engineer who dies is Wrath of Khan.

I consider it a major weakness of Q Who that there was no medical examination of the Borg.

8. Captain McBain

Data's ancestors don't count. Only Noonien and his android mom are allowed.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

A) Encounter At Farpoint. I know many dislike this episode, but I adore it. Q was simultaneously mysterious and bad ass!

B) Elementray, Dear Data. Marvellous Pulaski interplay with Data and Moriarty.

C) Dark Page. Majel's best performance as Lwaxana.

D) Brothers. A tour de force for Spiner.

E) Red blood cells drained from the red shirt! In TOS Obsession.

10. Captain McBain

How close does a doctor need to get to his patient before scans can be made? It's too bad that Worf or the ensign didn't try to scan with a tricorder, though.

11. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A) The one where he was temporarily mortal. I can't stand the immortal Q.

B) Pulaski is my least favorite TNG character, but Unnatural Selection is IMO the most memorable ep featuring her.

C) Can't remember the name of the episode, but the one where she's stuck with Odo in the turbolift, when he really needs time in the bucket.

D) I would say the Augments arc in ENT, but since that doesn't count, I guess I'd go for Brothers.

E) Hmmm, this is a toughie.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  12. Captain McBain

I assume you mean "Deja Q," and not "Q2" or that Voyager Q Civil War episode. Actually, in every Voyager Q episode at least one Q loses his powers or becomes mortal. So much for being all-powerful!

13. Captain Clark Terrell

That's "The Forsaken" from DS9's first season.

--Sran

14. OBXTrekkie

OBXTrekkie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Peter Preston, Scotty's nephew.

15. Cardassian3279

Cardassian3279 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Mine is oh dear i almost forget episode of ST ooops anyways,

here is

A) Brothers,

B) Chain of Command Part /2, Picard been Capture on Cardassia planet.

C)A fistful of Datas which make me laugh hard.

D)DS9: Cardassians and Rules of Acquisition, Tribunal, Second Skins, The House of Quark, Defiant, The Abandoned, Facets, The way of the warrior /2,Little Green Men, Indiscretion, To the Death, Looking for Par'mach in all the wrong places, Trials and Tribble-ations, The ascent, Empok Nor, Behind the lines, Favor the Bold, Sacrifice of Angels, Shadows and symbols, Penumbra, Till death do us part, Strange bedfellows, the changing face of evil, when it rains, Tacking into the wind, The dogs of war, What you leave behind /2.

E) ENT : Unexpected, The andorian Incident, Acquisition, Shockwave Part 1/2, A night in sickbay, Stigma, Cease fire, Regeneration, Proving Ground, Doctor's orders, Storm front part 1/2, The forge, Awakening, Kir'shara, United, The Aenar, These are the Voyages...and Extinction.

That's it,

Martyn

16. Captain McBain

I think you screwed up the order, or your recall is bad. Dang it, Q's not in "Brothers"!

17. Cardassian3279

hey, Im not talk about Q, I talk about my favourite. did you know I'm deaf? I'm not very good english sentence as I been told you before. Thank you

Martyn

18. Captain McBain

I was kidding around with you. I didn't know you were deaf, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to answering questions off of a computer screen.

19. Cardassian3279

Oh well never mind I thought u talk real serious to me lol.....sorry pal

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Q - TNG: All Good Things... DeLancie is always good and fun to watch, and the trial bookend to "Farpoint" was appropriate.

Pulaski - No favorite episodes with her in them, and I didn't like the character. I don't have anything currently in my library with her in them.

Lwaxana - Same comments as Pulaski.

Parents - Really a limited choice here, considering there aren't that many episodes featuring them. Data's family history never really interested me, but I'll say TNG: Brothers due to Spiner's hard work.

No-name Ensign - Actually named (Mallory), Jay Jones' spectacular exploding rock stunt mishap in TOS: The Apple, which really put him in the hospital.