50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its nothing special, really. How many of those exist on YT, anyway? How many did the fans make on their own - and in excellent a manner, too?

Finally, why make it such a big deal, other than to continue trolling the fans that are still waiting for the bleedin' trailer? Which is, like, all of them?

Really, bravo to the fans that were on the San Diego con and didn't leak it, but this is getting to be annoying on behalf of the Beeb. And I'm not mad about this - its just a logical assessment of this stupid situation.

2. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

According to the press release, this footage-less trailer is one minute long. I assume it'll be a retrospective. It's short enough to serve as the "prologue" to a normal 2-minute trailer. Just cut them together so we get sort of a past/future thing, with Matt Smith's voice or John Hurt's voice providing the bridge transitioning to the actual 50th footage.

That would be awesome. And I'm sure someone will do it on Youtube after the fact, showing the BBC what they should've been doing all along.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Damn, I shouldn't have doubted my source and added the "or maybe not" yesterday!

a one minute trailer of 11 HD Doctors... Allowing time for a logo etc that's a maximum of about 4 seconds each...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Nice artwork but what's the point of announcing yet another footage-free trailer?

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Well, at least we won't have been spoiled for the damn thing before we even get to see it, as can happen with trailers. Anyway, I actually think a retrospective of the older Docs will be nice.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thing is, that trailer showed at Comic Con didn't have any spoilers, otherwise that would have spread like wildfire online. Yeah, I know Moffat threatened to throw a hissy fit if the trailer leaked, but several websites have written up descriptions and that doesn't seem to have awakened the beast. And the most spoilerific thing there is the implication that John Hurt's Doctor was involved with the Time War, which many of us were already guessing anyway.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I'm not against seeing a trailer with clips, I'm just trying to see the positive in the current approach. But even if there at no specific spoilers in the trailer, I am kinda looking forward to seeing such an event episode and having seen so little of the footage. (Though if the footage was out there, I'd long ago have viewed it all!)

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The BBC is clearly working to a plan, and that plan is meant to heighten interest without it peaking before the 23rd. We've had the first teaser, we're getting a second teaser, we've just had the SFX article (though I think that should have come after a trailer with footage).

My guess is trailer in two weeks, around the 1st.

9. Emperor-Tiberius

I actually think it'll be released at October 22 - just a month away. But November 1st sounds like a safer bet.

In any case, I don't think that teaser should even count as such. A hashtag does not a teaser make.

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

There's something happening after Strictly tonight.

11. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Exactly. Now if we had gotten brief flashes of things, or audio with a few words from the show itself, it would qualify as a teaser.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah, we were just talking about that - it's an anniversary trailer with clips/shots of all eleven Doctors, but not from the anniversary special.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, when they do show something actual of the Special, will the trailer state "The Story can finally be told" in regards to HurtDoctor and The Time War

14. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Emperor-Tiberius

I LOL'ed to the first pic. Lovely!

And the second pic is intriguing... could be refering to the "paintings" that Matt Smith mentioned?

16. StCoop

I'm assuming it's what's on the back of the first picture and it ties in with Kate Lethbridge-Stuart bringing the Doctor to Earth to show him something in the National Portrait Gallery, which was from that shooting they did in Trafalgar Square (which is where the National Gallery is).

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Just saw the trailer, that was very well made and brilliant.

To be honest, I'm happy if we don't get any proper trailers before the 23rd November, would be nice to not know all the beats of the story before hand.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the teaser wasn't as useless as I feared. It does feel a bit like something for six months out, with as much to do with the product it's advertising as, say, the Avengers: Age of Ultron teaser from SDCC did.

My favorite moment is probably the Sarah Jane moment.

It took me four times to spot McGann; he's hiding behind the Ood.

19. Emperor-Tiberius

Yeah, blink and you'll miss him! Still, he's actually shown - the Sixth Doctor's got his back on us. Weird.

And having Sladen in this was glorious. Nice touch.

OK, I'll take back what I said: Despite this not being a trailer, but in actuality a teaser (much like the TUC teaser back in the early '90's), this was awesome. Bravo! And here's the link for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRy2N2CMhQ

20. StCoop

Doesn't bode well for people holding out for that McGann Prequel minisode if they hide him away.