The Kelvin's uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by NCC-1967, Oct 30, 2008.

1. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

I think it would be cool if the Kelvin crew was wearing ENT-style uniforms, or at least ENT-inspired ones from after TATV. It'd be fun for fans, although they may look too different from the XI uniforms.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Doesn't it?

Though it's admittedly not an ironclad source, the EW article gives the time of the attack on the Kelvin (with George Kirk, Sr. aboard) as being "before Kirk is even born". Even giving EW a reasonable margin for embroidery in the interest of selling magazines and ad-views, it seems in the ballpark to me.

3. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

hang on im confused, why just becasue the ship is old, does that mean its crew would not wear the new uniforms supplied by starfleet, unless this part of the movie is set before most of it, or they have been lost in space for a few years so they crew have not had chance to take on new uniforms, ala Voyager.

4. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bingo. It's "before Kirk's time."

5. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the EW article mentioned the attack on the Kelvin happening before Kirk is even born.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I seem to recall an interview where they said that by the end everything would be closer to the way TOS fans remembered, and I thought this was in reference to uniforms and the bridge. I won't be surprised if Kirk's Dad wears an older style uniform.

In any case, Enterprise NX-01 and Columbia NX-02 had zeros in them, so why not Kelvin's number? If JJ didn't have a "0" people would claim he was ignoring ENT canon.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see Starfleet thinking "we'll have more ships than nine!" when giving the registries to the Enterprise and the Columbia, but correspondingly not thinking "we'll have more ships than 999!" when registering the Grissom...

Then again, if people don't like the idea of NCC-0514, they can always say the Kelvin is NCC-O514. No character on screen is likely to pronounce the "zero" or "ough" anyway, so the verbal form of registry will still be simple 514; whether one adds the TAS-style definer "O for Observation" would be a matter of personal preference, and perhaps George Kirk doesn't prefer to.

Timo Saloniemi

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

before Kirk was born, very well I say they use uniforms from Enterprise, and give a slightly aged T'Pol a quick cameo,

9. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Uniforms from Enterprise almost 100 years after that show took place? Dunno about that. A T'Pol cameo? Why???

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was driven into the ground about 50 of your posts ago....You are now approaching Earths core....:techman:

That's where the 0 in the registry comes into play. It retracts and the second nacelle springs out of there.
    Mass shifting is involved.:techman:

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

for fun, that is what movies are meant to be.

12. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I was gonna ask you about that. It really pisses you off, doesn't it? :p

13. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Actualy it's a sign they have.

14. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Velour sweaters.

JRob94 likes this.
  15. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You guys say this like we were given an absolute choice between "velour" and "funky, expensive fabric with useless little chevrons on it."

There are a lot of other choices available which have little, if anything, to do with EITHER of those. And would still have given us uniforms which were, in every significant way, the original TOS uniforms.

Actually, my only quibbles with the "new" uniforms fall into the stupid fabric thing, and the replacement of the gold details with silver ones. I like the old gold-braid and the gold chest insignia. I can't see any rationale for making them silver instead of gold... except to "change things just because we can." (Oh, and the "sleeveless uniforms" for THE WOMEN seem to be there just to make them look more like "sexy little nightclub outfits." I hope we see at least a few skirt-uniforms with long sleeves... )

The idea of "black undershirts and colored overshirts" isn't something new... that's canon, from the original series (though it was lost in a number of the "Kirk shirt-ripping" bits). So that part is really great to see, IMHO.

16. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^

I think it is quite likely that the gold details didn't look good or stand out enough on-screen with the new yellow/gold/avocado command uniforms.

Besides, the Starfleet/Enterprise chevron was small and silver during The Cage, so a color change isn't a big deal.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/0x00/thecage018.jpg

17. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Im expecting jumpsuits, SeaQuest style with flashes of colour denoting which department your from

18. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

It's in JJ Abrams' house. He broke it off the model to piss you off. That's also why he added a zero to the registry number, changed the bridge and uniforms.
    :guffaw: QFT...QFT!

19. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've even seen Nacelle Nichols at the Communications station :lol::lol:

20. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Must be another one of those "noncalibrated eyeballs" things... because that arrowhead, in that image, sure looks gold to me.