DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I mean that he didn't take the linear route by starting in Smallville, which has the benefit of making even old parts of the origin look fresh. It's like editing a classic film, to some degree.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah I see, I kind of like the fact that he has started the origin story with Clark just starting out as Superman and then going back and revealing stuff from his younger years while he is also discovering who he is as well.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hal Jordan is the only Green Lantern who matters. :lol:

4. Admiral_Young

Sinestro would dispute that claim :)

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Morrison I think taken the Batman: Year One approach to Superman.

6. Admiral_Young

^ That's exactly the approach he has taken with the Action Comics opening arc...this is essentially his proposed "Superman: Year One" story that he wanted to do as a companion piece to "All Star Superman".

7. Derishton

Agreed, and it's working really well. I can't wait to reads the trade and All-Star Superman together when the former comes out: rash young Superman who evolves into a near-god whose primary power is, somehow, compassion.

8. Admiral_Young

^ Although this isn't in All Star Superman continuity. This is something separate of course. This is as close as we'll get to seeing the "Superman: Year One" story.

9. Derishton

I know, but thematically it'll be interesting - like reading Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns back to back. Same author, same character, both works commenting on how character changes over time.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Carry on then. They're AWFUL. I think I read two issues and gave up.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is funny considering he ISN'T really a green lantern anymore becuase he got canned and his job was given to his nemesis.

I mean you have to suck really bad as a superhero if your SUPERVILLAIN ARCH-NEMESIS would do a better job than you. ;)

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Darth Vader taking over Luke Skywalker's job comes to mind, for some reason.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah...the "archnemesis" who beats a hasty path to Loser Hal's door because - wait for it - the "GL saga" is all about Hal Jordan.

That's right, he's a fired fuck-up and it's still his book. Oh, and it was his book when it was John Stewart's too. And did they ever keep him gone for as much as a year at a time, back when he was Parallax? :lol:

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

God, they are terrible. What on the world was he going for here? The artwork is great though.

15. Professor Zoom

A paycheck.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

While it is no doubt that Hal will always likely be the most known GL in comic fandom, the GL Saga is about whomever the current editors want it to be about.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually Jon Stewart is just as well known as Hal.

With exception to the Golden and Dark Ages, Hal has always been the main GL.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

In comic fandom, I'd argue that the four main GLs, (Hal, John, Kyle, and Guy) are about as well-known. To others who only have exposure to the characters through cartoons and movies, YMMV.

And, yes, I know that Hal was the main GL. That will likely never change, unless DC wants to pitch the character again like they did in the 90s/00s. During that period, the GL Saga was pure Kyle Rayner while Hal was going from villain, to dead, to alive, to hero, to Spectre, and everything in between.

19. Professor Zoom

Um. What about one of the GREATEST GL's of all time: G'Nort!?!

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's starting to lose me a little. I've read "Year One" Superman one too many times. Also, the art looked really rushed in issue 3, with Jimmy looking like a forty year old slack jawed yokel and Clark like an old disheveled man. For a series that is supposed to be about these people in their 20s that isn't good.