The Orb - a new DS9 podcast

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Enterpriserules, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Hello all! I wanted to share with you our newest podcast The Orb, devoted to DS9! This is going to be a show all about the issues, themes, plus anything and everything DS9. So please give us a listen and let us know what you would like to hear, as well as rating us on iTunes!

[​IMG]

2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesomeness... *bouncy bouncy bouncy*

Just the show itself, or the "expanded universe" DS9 stuff as well? or would you rather keep that to the TrekLit podcast?

3. Enterpriserules

We will just be doing the show itself, we will leave the EU for Literary Treks

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome! Downloaded the MP3 and listened to it this morning on my way to work.

Love the discussion about Roddenberry's vision vs. DS9's stationary crossroads of cultures. I think it's easier to stick to those ideals when you're flying around and you get to leave some of the hostile/immoral cultures behind week to week and fly your starship to the next destination. But when you're stuck in the same place and can't "escape" the variety of culture and morals around you, it's frankly impossible to stay within those ideals on the screen. So your remarks about how DS9 confronts and questions the vision of Gene Roddenberry, I think you really hit the mark. DS9 stays within the Roddenberry universe, but it doesn't run away from any of the cultures that have been established, neither does it embrace every culture. It simply presents a huge variety of cultures in one place living together. To me, that's just pure genius and a refreshing take on the Star Trek universe.

I also enjoyed your bluray remastering discussion. I'm really hoping we get DS9 on bluray with some of those older CGI scenes upgraded. That would be incredible.

And I'm happy to hear someone else who enjoyed the exploration of religion in a way that doesn't set out to say the religion is inherently evil or silly and doesn't ultimately always prove the religion is false, but instead shows the depth of the religion in both good and bad ways and has an honest conversation about it with the characters on the screen, then leaves the question of "what is true" up to the viewer.

This is cool! Can't wait to hear more!

5. Enterpriserules

Thank you so much for all your kind words. This is a passion for us and we are so excited to share it with you. DS9 is a layered and complex show, so we have much to talk about!

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Great job, although I have to say that I disagree with your assessment of DS9 challenging Roddenberry's philosophy. I think 'challenge' is the wrong word to use to describe what DS9 does; it doesn't really challenge Roddenberry's philosophy so much as examine his philosophy from a slightly different angle. DS9 still has every aspect of TOS and TNG's 'utopian future' present even in its later seasons, but what it does is examine those aspects from an outsider's point of view.

7. Enterpriserules

I do think that by doing that examination from the outside, it does show some of it's inherent weaknesses and therefore challenges that philosophy. I would consider it more in the vein of TOS than TNG. These are just some of the reasons we wanted to talk DS9; it is so rich with conversations about so many subjects.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm not really much of a podcast guy usually, but I'll give this one a go! :)

9. Enterpriserules

Thank you! I hope you like it

10. Enterpriserules

Our newest episode is out! Trek.fm

11. DS9Continuing

A fun listen, and I agree with most of your choices...although I personally would have given a bit more love to Odo.

and I am totally stealing your The Late Show! With Morn idea for a fanfic.

12. Enterpriserules

I can't wait to read it! Thanks for listening! We can use your reviews on iTunes to help the show grow, without y'all listening it's not worth it!

13. dub

Listened to episode 3 just now. What a fascinating discussion! I never thought about the parallels between Sisko and...well, I don't want to give it away for those who haven't listened, but it was brilliant! And Matthew, I truly appreciate your comments at the end of the podcast. I submitted a review to iTunes, but it hasn't showed up yet. Please continue this podcast! It's becoming a weekly treat on my lunch break!

14. DS9Continuing

Where did you get that jazz piano version of the DS9 theme music? WANT!

15. Enterpriserules

Thanks!

The music at the end is After 3am at Quarks my Dennis McCarthy

The new episode about Sisko as Emissary is out Trek.fm

16. dub

17. DS9Continuing

^^^ Thanks for the link, but apparently Amazon mp3 downloads are only available in the US, not the UK.

18. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. DS9Continuing

Ah, excellent. Thanks!

20. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    Love the podcast.

What is the preferred way to receive feedback on "The Orb" as well as ideas for topics?

Twitter?, Facebook?, Email?