Nemesis

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by wolf123450, Mar 22, 2013.

1. wolf123450

wolf123450 Ensign Newbie

So I've been watching Voyager for the first time. I've gotten halfway through season 4, and when I saw s4e4 "Nemesis" I had to talk about it.

Seriously, did anyone else feel as betrayed by this episode as I did? They didn't just brainwash Chakotay, they brainwashed the audience. Beasts...

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Half way through the season is not episode 4.

I'm going to tell you a secret.

They did this episode before and they'll do it again.

3. wolf123450

wolf123450 Ensign Newbie

Well, when I started registration I was at S04E04, but now I'm halfway through season 4. Yet I still want to discuss episode 4.

I'm still convinced that the Kradin aren't the good guys the show claims...

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They are all shitheads.

5. Guy Gardener

Chakotay should have had so much hate in his heart for the Cardassians that there could never have been room enough for these lightweights... Gosh, he couldn't even squeese Kathryn in there contemptuously or romantically despite that her ship had been loaded especially with a Tricobolt weapon to melt him and his crew while they slept in their home base bolthole beds safely in the badlands after Tuvok had quietly disabled their shields.

This is a man who finds an enemy, someone to hate, who hates him right back, and then without fail tries to take a female example of that enemy as a mate to kiss and cuddle.

WITHOUT FAIL!

6. teacake

Jung would have a field day. Full of watches and chocolate.

7. Guy Gardener

I always like to see how things relate to the maxim "Don't build your house on an Indian Burial Ground" because Poltergeist was easily the funniest comedy to come out of the 80s with only perhaps the exception of the first Caddyshack movie.

Nemesis is in every way awfully a CURSED Indian Burial Ground.

So why did they name the tenth movie after this boring clusterfuck?

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I tried watching that shitfest again on my last rewatch. Never again. Hated it first time it was on. Despise it still. The nadir of VOY. Threshold is a fucking masterpiece in comparison.

9. teacake

Foreshadowing.

10. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Geez. Seems like everybody hates every episode of Voyager. If that hate could be harnessed as an energy source, it would be an infinite source of energy!

11. teacake

I don't hate any episode of Voyager. But a lot of it is like family, you love them but you also ruthlessly mock them because you love them.

12. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Everybody?

Every ep?

ohhhhhhhh.

I think not!

:drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SZnMaTsxY

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SZnMaTsxY[/yt]

13. Guy Gardener

This is one of the worst because it was so predictable.

It's also so bad, that this is the first thread about the episode I've ever seen in the ten years I've been here, which only exists because the original poster is praying that there's some secret and mysterious sub-basement of interestingness and depth they missed, because he can't have wasted 40 minutes of his precious life on something this plainly blunt and entry level.

Have you seen Shutter island?

This is as disappointing as shutter island in exactly the same way!

(This) Nemesis is Kinda exactly like Shutter Island, that the hero Cop investigating a murder in an insane asylum turns out to have always been a patient in the asylum and these thoughts that he's a cop are just his fantasies but... Sucker Punch totally stole the plot of (this) Nemesis and then added a couple layers... I hate Suckerpunch because I thought it was too fricking straight forward and a feeble excuse to objectify young barely reasonably attractive girls into thinking that they are the second coming of the Pussycat Dolls.

Also because this episode is so bad, it's hardly ever mentioned here, so I rarely get to complain about it, and it's unlikely I ever will again, so I'd best drain the total venom in my soul now as this opportunity will not likely present itself again.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  14. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Memorial was a better idea than Nemesis but i thought this episode had some potential (and the best looking aliens....predator talks!) but didn't do much with it - i don't see why such a convoluted and drawn out means of indoctrination would be worthwhile for the sake of recruiting just one person....didn't really add up.....plus the whole mad max 3 language did my fucking head in.....fathom my nullified arse

15. Guy Gardener

What about Voy Workforce, Ent Extinction, DS9 Our Man Bashir or TNG Conundrum?

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

You know there would be no war on the planet if the humanoids just played Dom-jot with the Naucissicans. Oh wait sorry these aliens were call the Kradin. Some one get Chakotay to the Dom-jot tables! I'm sure his animal guide will bring him much fortunate as he gambles.

17. wolf123450

wolf123450 Ensign Newbie

It seems to me they were going for a negative version of a late reveal with "Nemesis". In some movies a late reveal is awesome like in The Prestige. You spend half the movie trying to figure it out, and then at the end everything comes out.

But in "Nemesis"? You think you've got the whole thing figured out until the very end. Then they take everything that's good, and turn it upside down. It's like finding out that Superman was actually working for Lex Luthor, or that kittens are actually plotting to destroy the world.

I enjoyed the episode, up till they made the Vori the bad guys.

I guess I'll just have to "Close my glimpses" to the bad parts and get on with the rest of Voyager...

18. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    when I saw this I thought it was good, and the twist was pretty clever. But I was pretty young when I saw it, and haven't seen it since, I don't know if I'd find it as clever now.

19. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I like "Nemesis". A very good Chakotay episode. If I ever buy season 4 on DVD, it will be for that episode.

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

buy it for "mortal coil" instead