Star Wars Dark Horse comics disscussion and comments

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, Invasion was unceremoniously cancelled a couple months back along with Knight Errant and Lost Tribe of the Sith (actually cancelled before its first issue hit, IIRC). Some folk aren't big fans of Dark Times, but I too enjoy it despite it's really questionable, impossible to follow release schedule.

2. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Could you show me the link that says that Invasion is definetly finished?

3. Bishop76

4. Drago-Kazov

Tom Taylor said no Invasion in 2013, but if Colin Wilson will be aviable again...

5. Bishop76

I think it's a very very long shot that they ever return to that series. It didn't sell well.

6. Drago-Kazov

Where can i look at the sales numbers?

7. Bishop76

You can't any more because they haven't sold this book in almost a year at this point. If you can hunt down old copies of Previews at your comic shop, you can see where it sat in the sales rankings, but you'll probably have a hard time hunting down a Previews issue that old.

Also, just common sense will tell you that it didn't sell well if they didn't want to finish the story. Their line that the story came to a satisfactory conclusion is bull. It wasn't worth them to print more for what their return would be. They'd rather move on to more successful projects like Agent of the Empire, Legacy, and Dawn of the Jedi.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Surprised that Dawn of the Jedi is selling well, but happy for it. I've been holding back from that series in part because I've scaled back buying comics but also I wasn't sure about it's viability.

As for Invasion, I knew that was going to be a tough sell. With the NJO being so 'far' in the past, how many NJO fans are out there that would support that book? I also thought DH didn't help themselves with the book's main character.

As for Lost Tribe, I thought that was a miniseries? I didn't know there were plans to keep it ongoing. I also thought that had limited appeal. I wasn't sure how much interest there was out there for the Lost Tribe of Sith to begin with.

Though I was thinking the same thing about the Dawn of the Jedi, despite the level of talent behind the book.

9. Bishop76

I think that's a part of the problem for sure and I think a lot of people were scared off by the tie-in to the NJO for fear that they'd need to know the WHOLE history of the NJO to be able to get into Invasion. I supported it because it was an okay story but honestly, it wasn't THAT great.

Interest in the Lost Tribe is pretty limited but I was digging it. I think the intent was to keep it going longer than the 5 issue arc that just ended but they pulled the plug on it pretty much instantly. I just don't think there was any support there and they didn't do themselves any favors by putting weak artists on the book.

As for Dawn of the Jedi, I think it's getting by on the names behind it. People know and like that team and it's a pretty decent story so far. We'll see if it lasts.

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I agree with you. I would see where some general Star Wars fans uninitiated to the NJO might be skittish about reading Invasion if they didn't know what was going on. Perhaps if the Invasion book had done a #0 issue that introduced the series and the major events up to the point where the story was. Also having a dramatis personae with the major NJO characters (pertaining to the Invasion story) at least might have helped too.

I agree too that the Lost Tribe audience interest was limited. I did enjoy the series though. I wouldn't mind seeing more Lost Tribe comics.

11. Drago-Kazov

If Dark Times can come back from dead all the times...

12. Bishop76

The difference is that Dark Times is never cancelled. It has long hiatuses but they always have another arc lined up. Next one is early 2013. There is no arc lined up for Invasion. It's obviously your own choice if you want to hold out hope, but I wouldn't put any money on it coming back if I were you.

13. Drago-Kazov

What was the longest hiatus Dark Times had?

Let's not forget Tom Taylor did plenty of other SW during the breaks.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Corinna Beckho and Gabriel Hardman were recently interviewed by CBR about the new Legacy series.

A couple of interesting excerpts...
    See the link for some details on the incident that sets off Ania's adventures, the identities of the other two characters on the cover, a little Cade Skywalker talk, and one interior page preview.

I was plenty intrigued by the series based on the announcement alone, but this interview now has me looking forward to it's debut in 2013 even more.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You forgot the link.

I like that we will probably be seeing Cade after the first arc.

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm not even surprised I did. Thanks for posting it!

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

http://comicsbeat.com/report-star-wars-comics-going-to-marvel-in-2015/

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I wish there was some official word other than all these rumors.

19. Drago-Kazov

What was the largest self contained universe/world that Marvel did a poor job managing?

I hope they will be more carefull with SW considering how huge the franchise is. It makes a good business sense to have a famous franchise if digital comics will be the future.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The Marvel of today is a totally different beast from the one that last had the Star Wars license. Being such a bottom line company now, I can't seem them doing anywhere near as much with Star Wars as Dark Horse currently does. And they really haven't done much with the Disney properties they previously acquired.

It might acutally be better for Lucasfilms to keep Star Wars comics with a company that will produce more books, not less. May make more money off the license that way, IMO.