Special projects

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Shik, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    O HAI. So, working on huge history of Starfleet like none other done before. Currently sussing out the 2240s to 2260s but thinking in advance about/doing pre-planning for the next segment. That being said, I've been wondering about what I call Starfleet's "special projects". I know the canonical ones & some fandom ones from older novels & FASA, but I know there's more out there & am looking for suggestions.

What do I mean by special projects? well, consider these:

• Transwarp Drive Project
    • Genesis
    • Hamalki drive (from the TOS novel “The Wounded Sky”)
    • Omega & the Lantaru Sector Research Station
    • Interdimensional beaming (Elway Theorem, etc.)
    • Intergalactic manned ships (so-called “Galaxy Ships”, from Vonda MacIntyre)
    • Establishment of Department of Temporal Investigations & Temporal Prime Directive
    Obviously, some of those are from the older novels, many of which I've read, but not all of them, & I've read very, very few of the newer ones because...meh. But I'm looking for things in that vein; specifically, I'm looking for things between 2265 & 2285. Descriptions/links help.

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

The Memory outposts - Memory Alpha, Memory Delta, Memory Gamma, etc.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know you mentioned the Department of Temporal Investigations, but specifically their "Timeship One" from the recent-ish DTI origins novel DTI: Forgotten History (which ties into every TOS and TAS time travel adventure)

4. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

How is that a special project? That's simply an archiving. I wouldn't consider the Library at Alexandria a technological marvel. (The Pyramids, maybe...but the methodologies used, more...)

Ugh, neat little tie-ins....well, even still, that would specifically fall under the DTI umbrella, wouldn't it?

I'm looking more for all those odd, wacky techs & concepts that Starfleet might've dicked about with in the that 20-year timeframe. I know the older novels are jam-packed with them, FASA had a couple things, & maybe some TOS items I'm just forgetting about. Things that they'd try & develop better or adapt for that better edge against the bumpy-headed nasties.

To put it simply (in deference to you, Kent), anything that might interest Starfleet's IPX division.

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

One could employ Memory Alpha in conjunction with some of the older materials, though. The FASA module Old Soldiers Never Die, which is one half of their Romulan War supplement, is based on a special project known as the juggernaut. FASA assumed, in no small part by FJ's work on the Technical Manual, that that war was fought shortly after the UFP was founded and was not primarily an Earth-Romulan conflict as later sources would establish. The Romulans developed the juggernaut class battleship as a new heavy weapon platform, but a Starfleet strike force captured the only existing hull shortly before the war ended with no systems or hardware installed.

The prototype was placed in orbit around Memory Alpha with the intent that, should it be necessary, Starfleet could build its own juggernauts in the event of a new major war. All files related to the ship were heavily classified and even its Romulan origin was disguised, with official records claiming it to be Federation in origin. The module has a scenario where an Orion vessel manages to penetrate the tractor beam holding the ship in orbit, and the players have to recapture it before the Orions can arm the juggernaut and begin selling copies on the black market (failing that, they have to destroy the now fully dangerous prototype).

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, the book "Memory Prime" by Judith Reeves-Stevens details the advanced AIs used in the Memory facilities - they, by themselves, seem like a pretty "special project" to me, much less the whole facilities they reside in.

Edit: Also, regarding the Library of Alexandria not being a technological wonder: the Civilization series of games would like a word with you. ;)

7. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

Archiving ≠ technology. Sid Meier & clan can suck it.