sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Snow White's bizarre domination of the universe continues.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the overexposedest one of all?

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Star Trek: Snow White: In the 23rd Century, seven warriors from the planet of the golden midgets (as seen in "Journey To Babel"), discover an ancient Earth probe containing the body of a young albino woman in suspended animation. Their analysis of the probe's data banks indicate that the only man who can revive her is still alive-- and is living the life of a corrupt and decadent prince in the heart of the Orion Empire. They immediately set out on a dark and gritty quest that will bring them to the very edgy edge of the galaxy-- for unless this snow white corpsicle is revived, the universe itself will perish! And there's no time to lose! But plenty of time for balls-to-the-wall action! Rated M for Mature!

Ah, I see. Thanks. :D

4. Temis the Vorta

HuffPo review of NBC pilots.

NBC is the most interesting network because its ongoing failure opens up possibilities. Plus, its few successes this year (Grimm and Smash) were definitely not safe choices compared with the cop-and-lawyer-show approach, which didn't work for them.) I find NBC the most fascinating network to follow every year, and it looks like this year is no exception.

I've been looking forward to The Frontier as a straight-ahead Western. The saga of people trying to survive the arduous overland journey should be drama enough, especially if the characters are well chosen. It sounds like it could have a supernatural element - as long as it's not heavy handed, it could work.

The reviewer doesn't give any predictions for pickups, but says "their slate this year is significantly stronger than last year's candidates were." That's a relief! No more Playboy Clubs, please.

5. Christopher

Beautiful People might have potential, although the question of AI rights has been addressed before in SF. Do No Harm, with the idea of the "Jekyll" and "Hyde" personas making a deal with one another to coexist, reminds me of Steven Moffat's Jekyll miniseries, but it'll have a hard time equaling it.

I'm glad they're no longer describing the unnamed Bad Robot pilot as being set in a world where "all forms of energy" have ceased to exist (since that would mean the entire universe vanished), but "where electricity no longer exists" is equally silly, since it's electrostatic forces that hold matter together, not to mention that neurons function electrochemically. There must be less stupid ways to justify a post-apocalyptic world without modern technology.

And wait, they're doing a sitcom with Bill Pullman as the President of the US? Is it set in the aftermath of a global alien invasion?

I'm actually not displeased to hear that Awake is getting "soft" numbers and may not get renewed. It had a brilliant pilot, but the subsequent series has squandered much of its potential and isn't nearly as satisfying.

6. Temis the Vorta

I like the plot twist in the most recent episode of Awake that implies
    that Britten really is experiencing two realities, and that the serial killer may also be awake in both realities and was leaving clues for Britten in one reality to see if he'd follow up in the other, as a test.

The bit about electricity not existing could mean one of two things: the electrical grid has failed, or any attempt to generate electricity for power will fail for some unknown reason, even though electromagnetism as a physical force still exists just fine.

It would be nice to get some clarity on that issue, because it's a huge difference - is this an end-of-the-world survival scenario after the breakdown of society, or is this a hand-waving conspiracy type show, where the conspirators have sinister abilities beyond human ken?

"AI rights" hasn't been done to death on TV (yet). I'm happy for NBC to take a crack at it. Too many of the sci fi shows are the hand-waving mystery type, where it's impossible to tell how they'll turn out but the track record ain't good...

7. Christopher

I don't see that. Just about every episode has shown Michael getting random clues in one reality that connected to a case in the other; it's one of the core conceits of the show. And if anything,
    the evidence seems to be consistently suggesting that the Red world is real and the Green world is a dream. There have been lots of cases of something happening first in Red and then being reflected/important in Green, or of Michael learning something in Red that he couldn't possibly have known, but there's been nothing conclusive going the other way. Not to mention the improbability of Michael coming across Gemini's first victim (in Green), or the sheer melodrama of the cases he gets in Green compared to Red -- it just feels less real (in which case the duality-obsessed, Two-Face-style serial killer is a reflection of Michael's dual existence). Which really sucks, because the original idea was that it was supposed to be unclear which world was real.

Although, of course, this is not the Awake thread, so we don't want to get too deeply into this here.

8. Temis the Vorta

One thing's for sure, the show will be cancelled before they settle the issue. Maybe the producers will tell us what the plan was afterwards.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Will it have lots of back-door action, too?

Either way it sounds shardly worth watching.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Rachel Nichols does tend to have that effect. Sounds like Time Trax.

12. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that is a Canadian series, and doesn't have a U.S. outlet... yet.

13. Guy Gardener

Canada, America, it's all the same to me.

If I am able to keep on top of the latest episodes of Being Erica from the other side of the world, I should be fine with this...

I saw Rachel in The Inside recently in one sitting.

A little more than pretty face.

And besides, anyone that would decide not to return for a GI Joe Sequel is a woman of refined taste and character

14. Temis the Vorta

The handicapping is up and running a little early this year.

Several genre pilots are apparently in good shape - Midnight Sun, The Last Resort, The Selection, 666 Park Avenue, and The Frontier which definitely sounds genre at this point - I'm hoping Beautiful People will be added to that list. No word on Abrams' series formerly known as Revolution.

15. Guy Gardener

idiots.

There's a new show called beautiful people?

What was it three years ago?

A show called the beautiful people was cancelled after 2 episodes.

You do not build your house on an Indian Burial Ground.

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

interesting premise for a half hour pilot.

Can Drifter turn a crowd-funded pilot into a television*deal?

http://gigaom.com/video/can-drifter-turn-a-crowd-funded-pilot-into-a-television-deal/

One of these development project will finally turn into something. $25k is a small amount of money compared with most scifi TV projects but it could get a show greenlit for TV.

17. Temis the Vorta

Some news on Rewind (the SyFy series about a time travelling "military field operatives and civilian scientists") casting. They're going diverse, which is nice to see, including the girl from Whale Rider and a coupla good looking guys. :bolian:

The character bios are squarely the quirky-genius SyFy "type," I see...and of course the black guy has to be the white lead character's best friend and go-to guy. But still, I have a better feeling about this show than anything SyFy's produced for a while. Probably won't be groundbreaking, but could be fun.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Sounds like Charlie has invented Psychohistory. :D

19. Temis the Vorta

Given SyFy's audience, they'll think Rewind invented psychohistory. ;)

It's not just my imagination, this year's pilot season has been pokey. Next week is when we start to hear anything solid.

And this is just tooo great not to share - the CW describes their ripoff of The Hunger Games as "diet dystopian," my new favorite phrase in the world. :rommie:

EDIT: Hey, it sounds like that Cosmos remake is a go! Also, the Flinstones remake has been nixed. What a disappointment. :p

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the hell is that supposed to mean?