Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Grade the movie

1. Excellent

17.4%
  2. Above Average

28.3%
  3. Average

26.1%
  4. Below Average

9.8%
  5. Poor

18.5%
  1. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Re: Transformers 3: Can a fan of G1 enjoy this movie?

There are references to G1 throughout all three films-and the lineup of Autobots and Decepticons is pretty much the same as the 1984-1986 band of Transformers (With some exceptions like Arcee). The new film recalls a plot from the original series where
    Cybertron is brought into orbit around earth.

Also Soundwave, who basically appeared for a few seconds in the last film, is given a bit more to do here (As well as a different alt mode). However, in both films Michael Bay did not process the voice, so even though it's still Frank Welker, he sounds more like Dr. Claw than G1 soundwave. Another of Megatron's main minions, Shockwave (The big purple guy) also plays a part, but a smaller one than advertised.

2. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I heard a lot more namechecks and plot ideas from the orignal cartoon series in this one that the first three.

Autobots exile,

Decepticons capture a US city,

construct a Space Bridge,

bring Cybertron to them.

Carly,

The Ark,

The Matrix being passed from leader to leader,

Decepticons working with humans...

you've even got three deaths of characters who died in the cartoon movie

3. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OH for gosh sakes! It's a Transformers movie. A fun movie to boot! The ONLY movies your gonna get featuring these 40 foot robots and their talents for blowing things up. IF you didn't like the first two you won't like this one. If you can open your mind and allow yourself to enjoy these films for the popcorn flicks they are then you're gonna be way ahead of the game. I certainly feel I've gotten my money's worth from them. Don't let Bay-bashers and a strict love for the cartoon series keep you from enjoying these movies. NO film adaptation is 100 faithful to the source material.

4. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...

In answer to your original question, can a fan of G1 enjoy the movie? Absolutely.

Can you enjoy it if you hated the first two...not so much.

5. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Also there's two G1 bots who were re-named who appear in the movie: Mirage and Wheeljack, who for some reason became Dino and Q. Mirage/Dino is a Ferrari in this continuity, though, instead of a race car.

6. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Which was never in the original G1 series, it was introduced in the animated movie, and nominally talked about in the series that followed that.

Are there any G1 references? sure, but there have been them thoughout the three films, I dont think this film had significantly more than the others.

But more to the point, if he didnt like the first two I doubt he'll enojy this one.

But as some one else asked, "can a G1 fan like the film"? absolutely, it was awesome.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm vaguely considering seeing the third one and (I'm kind of rolling my eyes even as I write this) wondering whether it's necessary to see the second film first.

8. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

The second film can be mostly ignored, really-all you really need to know is that Megatron was brought back.

One thing that bugs me is the convulted backstory of all three movies. They don't really fit together well when you think about it. Maybe IDW's comics make some sense of the mess.

9. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

This G1 fan loved the first and third films. The second film was a disappointment.

I don't need G1 references in order to enjoy these movies. G1 Optimus Prime isn't movie Optimus Prime, just as Christopher Reeve's Superman isn't George Reeves' Superman. This is a new continuity. The G1-related tips of the hat are a lot of fun, but they're unnecessary.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No. It pisses all over the G1 body of material. And I have enjoyed Animated, BW/BM and every iteration of G1. Bayformers by far has to be the far the worst iteration of transformers. Worse than ever the Unicron Trilogy and Kiss Players.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

Well I don't know that the element of surprise really made much of a difference. It seems like the Decepticons still discovered them fairly early on, and had plenty of time to mount a defense. Not saying it was a bad plan, but there was no reason to wait as long as they did.

Not to mention the somewhat spiteful tone in Prime's voice. Something to the effect of: "Maybe now the humans will see the Decepticons can't be trusted and should never have betrayed us."

He just came across like a hugely unlikeable dick in this movie.

12. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...

I saw it very differently. Let's put it in context: One of your best friends for MILLIONS of years was just killed by the guy who was your mentor. This was a guy you would have handed over your leadership role to, a guy who trained you, lied straight to your face and then helped institute a plan that killed dozens (if not hundreds) of people that you swore to protect. Then the very same people you tried to protect shoo you away in a move that could have led to your destruction. I think a bit of spite was warranted.

If Prime really wanted to be a dick, he and the others could have taken on the forms of different vehicles (or devices etc.), hidden out until the dust cleared and let Cybertron get brought over and revived with Earth's energy.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge G1 fan who loved the first movie, but thought the other two were just a horrible, ridiculous mess.

But if you hated the first two, then I definitely wouldn't bother with the third.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'm a G1 fan who also bought a load of the RiD Autobots and RiD Megatron and i fucking love the movies. like BDJ says, it's FUCKING LIVE ACTION TRANSFORMERS! my inner 8 year old gets to cut loose and love them. it's transformers. in live action. on the cinema screen. how can anyone NOT love that?

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

mark kermode proves what a dick he is AGAIN.

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, the female version of Joe Jonas. No thanks. :vulcan:

17. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Wow... Dark of the Moon was even worse than 2. The only redeeming quality was the voice acting for Optimus and Sentinel.

18. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I just realized I haven't posted an obligatory movie review of this movie on Facebook after having seen it yesterday in 3D.

Overall, I give a B+. It was by far the best movie in the series, especially in terms of the cinematography. I don't think any of the Transformers movies can be appreciated solely on the basis of plot or storytelling, which in this movie, was a lot better than Revenge of the Fallen. For the most part, I think the pacing was good, the dialogues were less cheesy and not over-the-top like in the last film, and the characterizations mattered where they did. Rose Hungtington-Whiteley's introduction as a replacement for Megan Fox was done well from the beginning, although her character was less prominent than Fox's Michaela. Still, Patrick Dempsey was an unexpected villain whose motives were both sinister and vague. Most of the actors (Shia LaBeouf, John Turturro, Josh Duhamel) pretty much owned their roles.

The beginning of the movie shows a faux-history of the Space Race between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., and the ensuing government conspiracy and cover-ups leading to modern-day events were a bit foggy, at least from my perspective. For example, how exactly do McDreamy's character and his corporation figure into the involvement in the conspiracy and the eventual alliance with the Decepticons? I realize it has something to do with his accounting firm and NASA and that his father had made a deal with Soundwave and Laserbeak, but to do what? Steal the pillars from Sentinel Prime's ship?

I'll see it again today and hope to get more clarification. :)

19. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's still G1, given that it kills half of that first wave off.

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Saw it again today.

Still love it.

Still ignoring the haters.