Next comic mini-series/one-shots?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Mar 22, 2010.

?

I would love to see comics set in these era:

Poll closed Apr 21, 2010.
  1. TOS

20.9%
  2. TOS movies

27.9%
  3. TNG

9.3%
  4. Post-series TNG

41.9%
  5. DS9

18.6%
  6. Post-series DS9

55.8%
  7. VOY

14.0%
  8. Post-series VOY

39.5%
  9. ENT

25.6%
  10. Post-series ENT

37.2%
  11. More "Crew" (pre-"The Cage")

37.2%
  12. VAN

39.5%
  13. SCE/CoE

30.2%
  14. NF (Peter David's "New Frontier" w/ Calhoun & Shelby)

27.9%
  15. TTN (Riker & Troi on USS Titan)

65.1%
  16. Excelsior (Captain Sulu)

27.9%
  17. More "solo" issues, such as "Captains" and "McCoy" minis

27.9%
  18. Post-JJ Abrams "Star Trek" (yeah, eventually, hopefully)

23.3%
  19. More "Alien Spotlight" single issues

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Hi everyone,

Just compiled a new poll on new comic mini-series/one-shots you'd like to see produced. Please indicate categories that would excite you and add details, such as preferred writers and illustrators, in your text responses. Hmmm, forgot to expand a few contractions. VAN is "Vanguard", from the novels, of course. SCE/CoE is from the eBook series, "Starfleet Corps of Engineers".

Me? I voted for most eras and will happily support any ST comic that comes along, both individual issues and trade omnibuses. I'd really love to see comic versions of the crew set-ups established by Pocket's Titan, Excelsior, Vanguard, ST: TMP ("Ex Machina"!) and more New Frontier. And how about a "Shran" solo issue?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went with pretty much all of the stuff you listed that we haven't seen, the TNG and DS9 Relaunches (I would like to see them consistent with the books if possibly), series and relaunch Voyager and Enterprise, COE, Titan, Vanguard. I also wouldn't mind seeing more stand alone minis like Captains and MCoy, and more Alien Spotlights, especially if the available races could be expanded to include races from the series I listed above.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't even look at the IDW stuff anymore unless John Byrne is involved. Most of the stories are paper-thin and way overpriced.

A regular monthly series might perk my interest, but I doubt IDW has any interest in doing one after talking to my local comic shop owner.

And please... none of Pocket's spin-off stuff. They already take away from the main series more than I like.

4. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, if they go post-series, they'll need to introduce new (non-series) characters anyway, so why not go with the ready-made versions.

And I want some SCE/CoE comics. I want SCE/CoE anything.

(And on a practical level: more one-shots, just 'cause my comic store is for crap. "Uh, why does this series start with issue #3? And how did this other series just jump straight from #35 to #38? It hasn't even been a month." :shifty: )

5. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ticked so many boxes!

I am generally adverse to things in each series tv era, especially with TOS and TNG, as that era has been so extensively explored many many times before. I don’t mind either way with DS9, and ticked in favour of tv era stuff for Voyager and Enterprise, as both are quite under developed and still have lots of space to fill.

However I would prefer for all series things set after the series, I'm especially disappointed that IDW have barely touched the TOS movie era; one Alien Spotlight, one Captain's Log, and the Wrath of Khan adaptation.

My preference is always for the less explored areas, I'd rather see some obscure take on the universe than another 5YM on Kirk's or Picard's Enterprises. So more Alien Spotlight the better. I'd be very excited to see a Titan series, and would love to see more Pike/April era stuff.

I also think there's a box missing; pre-Neroverse, with the Kelvin, or the alternate timeline era before the main setting of the film (seeing how it diverged and such).

6. Therin of Andor

94 lookers and only nine voters?

Please help out!

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see more one-shot issues. The art of the one-shot has seemingly fallen to the wayside in super hero comics over the years with the push for trade-length story arcs. I've always enjoyed the one-shot Trek comics put out by IDW.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Post-finale DS9, Vanguard, Titan.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

DS9, Post-finale DS9, and New Frontier. That pretty much sums up how I feel about the books at this point. Actually, I'll also read anything with a heavy focus on Cardassians so I should have voted for "Alien Spotlights," too.

10. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

New Frontier and Enterprise Season 5 for sure!

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I ticked off a few...

I would like to see VOY-R comics. Written by someone like David Tischman (some of the TOS IDW stuff) or if we were lucky enough, Kirsten Beyer. I would also like to see Sean Murphy (currently penciling for DC/Vertigo, formerly of the Borg Alien Spotlight issue) draw it. Or any trek comic for that matter.

I would also like to David Mack tackle a Vanguard comic...

I'd like to see KRAD do a TNG-R comic series...

I'd like to read Titan comics by Christopher...

...and I'd like to see more New Frontier comics by PAD and the dude who drew the last NF comic mini-series.

12. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IDW just put out their solicitations for June 2010. Looks like we will be getting a new TOS mini-series, written by the Tiptons.

13. Therin of Andor

Mmmm. Really regretting making the results public to all browsers. Lotsa lookers and only 17 voters? Is it really that difficult to check a few boxes?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There is no "John Byrne" box, hence no vote from me.

15. Therin of Andor

I decided not to upset any of the writers by listing some names and not others. The last few polls have ended up accidentally omitting some.

Byrne created the "Crew" mini-series, so if there is to be a continuation of them, with exploration of Number One's career, you could clarify you'd only buy it if Byrne was the writer. Similarly with NF, it doesn't mean I was suggesting only PAD could write for it in comics form.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just to clarify some of my votes:

By post-TNG, I mean post-Countdown with Captain Data rather than the current TNG novel era.

By post-ENT I mean something that ignores the current version of the Romulan War.

By Titan, I mean part of the novel continuity.

'kay?

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Maybe they're like me, they don't read the comics, don't give much thought into them and only been poking their nose in as they're interested in the discussion. Now don't get you're knickers in a twist about not many voters, it's only been a few days since this poll was created after all.

18. Therin of Andor

Not in a twist at all, but 20 voters out of 281 lookers is even less than the ol' 10% rule of general survey returns.

Had I checked the box to only reveal the current scores to people who voted might have been more encouraging of some more votes. But then, we also know that IDW ST seems to be much harder to locate in stores than the old Gold Key, Marvel, DC, Malibu and Marvel/Paramount ST comics, so 20 out of 281 may be about what I should have been expecting after all.

No biggie.

19. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I saw some sales figures for the IDW titles, and I was astonished to see that most of them sell in the 5000-10,000 copy range. Astonished, I tell you!

On top of that, virtually every issue has 2 or more covers, and I'm certain I'm far from the only fan who gets a copy of each cover. That could mean that as few as 2500-3500 readers for some issues.

I mean, how much can you pay the writer, artist(s), colorist, letterer and editor out of a $4 book that only sells 5000 copies?

I guess IDW must be making money selling the trades, and the monthly floppies are just "trailers" for the forthcoming trades...?

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Wow, Trek comics are really in the shitter.

Dare I ask how many an average Trek novel sells?