Next comic mini-series/one-shots?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Mar 22, 2010.

?

I would love to see comics set in these era:

Poll closed Apr 21, 2010.
  1. TOS

20.9%
  2. TOS movies

27.9%
  3. TNG

9.3%
  4. Post-series TNG

41.9%
  5. DS9

18.6%
  6. Post-series DS9

55.8%
  7. VOY

14.0%
  8. Post-series VOY

39.5%
  9. ENT

25.6%
  10. Post-series ENT

37.2%
  11. More "Crew" (pre-"The Cage")

37.2%
  12. VAN

39.5%
  13. SCE/CoE

30.2%
  14. NF (Peter David's "New Frontier" w/ Calhoun & Shelby)

27.9%
  15. TTN (Riker & Troi on USS Titan)

65.1%
  16. Excelsior (Captain Sulu)

27.9%
  17. More "solo" issues, such as "Captains" and "McCoy" minis

27.9%
  18. Post-JJ Abrams "Star Trek" (yeah, eventually, hopefully)

23.3%
  19. More "Alien Spotlight" single issues

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

You can ask, but you won't get an answer. Sales figures are closely guarded trade secrets, and not released by Pocket Books.

I think the only reason we have comic book sales figures is because Diamond, who distribute virtually all direct-market comics (i.e., comics sold in comic book shops) releases them.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

My big concern is that most comic shops I know order barely more copies of IDW ST issues than they need for their standing orders. The only shelf copies, if there are any at all, disappear in mere days of release, or sit there forever as lone examples of a segment of a mini-series long past.

As we know, there are many, many fans who refuse to place standing orders for anything, preferring to browse randomly (and complain bitterly about distribution) so they can pick and choose.

It's a very different market to ST's heyday.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only thing I get from IDW (John Byrne, with a couple of exceptions) any more are the trades that I can pick up from a bookstore. I refuse to drive twenty minutes to the nearest comic shop to pick up individual issues anymore. They're overpriced for the entertainment they provide. Read the Nero TPB in twenty minutes and it cost me $18. IDW's number one problem is they need to figure out a way to increase the entertainment value of the issues.

I'm also one who never placed standing orders. I like to come in and browse and choose the issues I want to pick up.

4. Andy Mangels

Andy Mangels Writer Red Shirt

As I've said for each of the three years that this poll has happened, I'd love to write some more Trek comics.

I sold my first Trek project (unpublished due to editor switching) to DC in the 1980s, then comics to Marvel in the 1990s (where I gave a chance to Mike Martin to be my co-writer), and Wildstorm in the early 2000s.

I've proposed things to four different IDW editors since they got the license; as the 2010 decade begins, I'm hoping the time will be right!

And as the polls have shown for three years running, the fans seem HUNGRY for a Titan series... a series which I co-created!

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I would also love to write Titan comics, given the chance.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to do Titan comics? Would they be able to include Tuvok, or other races/ideas from Enterprise or Voyager?

7. Magnum

Magnum Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted for every series except for Enterprise, as well as for Captain Sulu! I'm particularly anxious to see the latter, and DS9.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Tuvok appeared in the TNG Myriad Universes comic, so I doubt it would be that much of a problem.

9. elaithin

elaithin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given that all the characters are owned by CBS, I don't see how it could be a problem in any way.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yes, the characters are owned by CBS, but IDW is a separate company, and they have to pay for the rights to each series they want to adapt as a comic. And the various Trek series are licensed separately. IDW initially had only the TOS and TNG licenses and has recently obtained the DS9 license. So those are the ones they can do, because those are the ones they've paid for permission to do.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not like the world would end if Tuvok were kicked off the ship for a few comics. Just call it a temporary reassignment when he "returns" in the next novel.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That could work, but he's a pretty big character in the books, so IMO it would really be best if he could be worked into the (theoretical) comics. But apparently he's already appeared in a comic, so I guess he's not an issue.

Now would it be possible to just get the rights to one element of a series without getting the whole thing. Like for instance say a comic writer wanted to do a flashback involving Johnathan Archer or T'Pol, would it be possible to get permission to use just them?

13. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what the IDW editors have said before I'd say a significant Enterprise flashback would be a no: The cameos, such as Tuvok and Seven in The Last Generation were allowed because they were minor easter eggs rather than major characters in the series. I think Andrew Steven Harris mentioned before that he was allowed to use Seven because he didn't do so in a big way, and she was always Annika in that reality, so even the recognisability of here name was a factor. (And was Tuvok being established as part of Sulu's crew the excuse he needed to use Tuvok in the series? - I half remember that)

It has also been previously confirmed by IDW editors that a Titan comic could happen, because Titan is definitely covered by the TNG license.

Even if Tuvok on his own became an issue with that licensing, would it really be that hard to do a story in which the Titan's tactical officer plays a minimal role? Reducing him to cameo appearances for Titan comics?

But, CBS seem to have been pretty liberal with the licenses for IDW so far anyway. We've had a (one panel) Phlox flashback, a Columbia shuttlepod, Rigelians from Enterprise, heavy influences from Enterprise Andorians in the Andorian Alien Spotlight, Janeway and Species 8472 in the Borg one, etc etc

14. Therin of Andor

IIRC, Scott Bakula has likeness approval written into his ENT contract, so that always adds extra layers of risk (that he'll refuse approval or demand a redraw) and time allowances to make printing deadlines.

Wasn't someone saying that "Quantum Leap" comics hit such a snag re likeness approvals?

15. Andy Mangels

Bakula had ZERO likeness rights for the Quantum Leap comics (which I worked on). The comics only disappeared because Innovation closed. The series sold quite well.

Remember that likeness approval is generally only given to *STARS* and at the time he signed for QL, Bakula was essentially a character actor at best.

16. Andy Mangels

BTW, I think Tim Russ's Tuvok is an integral part of Titan, as I brought him onboard from Day One (well, after permission from Christie Golden). And Tim appreciates what I did with Tuvok, as he made clear during our confabs at Comic-Con...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another New Frontier, maybe a Typhon Pact tie-in with Calhoun dealing with one of the races. Titan and Vanguard would be nice too.

Hopefully after the Movie adaptation we will see a Captain Data series and see how he got to be Captain and became reactivated and his conflict of dealing with the wiping of B4.

18. Therin of Andor

Mmmm. Ok. I wonder what anecdote I'm half-remembering then?

19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

A shame because Innovation was doing some awesome work with QL and LiS right before it shut down operations. Thank goodness, Bill Mumy was finally able to complete Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul as a graphic novel trade.

20. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Put an Aventine and Captain Dax comic out, I shall buy every issue.