The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Calling someone a troll is, in fact, a warn-able offense on this board.

2. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

And his actions are not? Calling people names, willfully ignoring posts, being generally rude and nasty?

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I shouldn't have called those people "trees", I'm sorry.

4. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

I was referring to the comments you made about gamers a few weeks back among others. You know the direct insults you leveled about people who play video games.

5. Guy Gardener

I can imagine now 100s of millions of gamers marching in a pride parade down all the main streets of all the major cities in the world to... No wait? I can't. I seriously can't see the worlds gamers unified that finely without 10 thousand beanie babies waiting at the parades finish line.

You really need to learn the difference between a hobby and a cultural identity.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And two wrongs still don't make a right. (although 3 lefts do).

Just tryin to help you avoid an infraction from a moderator buddy.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Word of advice to all of those involved.... it's usually best to allow the moderators to do the moderating :vulcan:

And it would help if you'd learn timing on when to back off of a tense situation, such as this.

Comments to PM

8. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

For some individuals, their hobbies ARE their cultural identities. :devil:

As far as they are concerned, video games, star trek, beanie babies, movies, television shows, etc ... are "serious business"! :lol:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Defiance has been renewed for a second season.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

YAY!

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Cool. I think they have some good opportunities to pick up steam and improve.

12. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wondering if this show has gotten any better? I seen the plot and some of the next episode but show came across boring with too little action and too much drama.

Still feel they should of started the show from the beginning when the aliens were first seen by the Gov and go from there. To me from the Aliens leaving their world till where this show started was where all the good storys are at.

This is like starting a Star Wars movie right after the final Death Star blew up in Return of the Jedi and have notes on the web site of the timeline of the other 5 movies.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You and I have very different definitions of what constitutes a good show. Despite the big action beats in the pilot and episode 3, Defiance is clearly meant to be a drama first; after all, it's from the showrunners of Caprica.

Except that first-contact or alien-arrival stories have been done dozens of times. And TV is overloaded with genre shows that are set in a world that's basically our own. It's refreshing to see a show that's set in the future in an exotic environment, one where humans are no more at home than anyone else.

Isn't it more like starting a Star Wars movie a couple of decades after the fall of an ancient, millennia-old Republic and having to learn about the history of the Jedi and the Clone Wars and Darth Vader through dialogue some old desert hermit imparts to a young farmboy?

14. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh well thank you. I cant stand syfy dramas and Caprica and the like bore me to tears.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am very much the kind of guy who prefers action over drama, but Defiance keeps me consistently entertained each week. Admittedly, the pilot does throw a lot of backstory at the audience, and I can easily see that the season will likely need to be viewed again after its done in order to get everything. But it's shaping up to be one hell of a show and I look which I look forward to each week.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

The show is still very much in the world building phase, explaining unique features of this new world. Or in the case of Defiance, explaining creatures and technology that gamers have already been seeing (and fighting) in the game. At the rate the show is going, its probably going to take at the first half of season 1 to build the world. They still have to explain what are mutants, 99ers, Dark Matter, Scrappers, E-Rep, EMC, Indogene, who is Death's Merchant and the secret behind the Battle of Defiance.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I'm not sure that all the ideas created for the game will necessarily be included in the show. I mean, sure, they're part of the common background, but it's not like there's some checklist, some requireement that everything gets used equally in both the show and the game. The idea is for the two to be able to stand on their own and go in distinct directions while taking place in a common universe. Think of the various Star Trek series -- the Kazon from Voyager were never mentioned on Deep Space Nine, and the Ferengi were only referenced a couple of times in Voyager. Some things overlapped, but a lot didn't.

18. Guy Gardener

If the game is way more important than the TV show, and the tv show has to accept that it only exists as advertising for the game, then it's the same rules as with product placement, and if there isn't a checklist, then there's certainly a timetable which is far more important than natural story development because if Game developments are not advertised on TV when dictated, someone is going to get fired.

Consider something like the Transformers/GI Joe cartoons from the 80s... The cartoon people were shown the new toys every week, then ordered to put those new toys/characters into the cartoon so that Kids would medically need to buy those fantastic toys. I suppose they could invent their own characters/vehicles for the toon but that's a waste of adspace as kids run out to the toy stores to buy toys which do not exist.

Another thing. Defiance season one is only 12 episodes long. Half way is in a fortnight.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good. I'd rather watch lame science fiction than excellent other stuff and I think having more science fiction on the air generates more science fiction potentially on the air which makes me happy.

Imagine a world where everyone but us got tired of science fiction.. and you had as much modern science fiction on tv as we currently have Bonanza style westerns. I used to feel like this was a real possibility, that the hold on mainstream audiences was a lot more delicate than it is now. I'm hoping we get some Defiance type shows on HBO someday, GoT quality.

20. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

That may well be true, but the town is named Defiance so I am assuming the backstory behind the Battle of Defiance will be part of the show. Which means in the least E-Rep, EMC, Dark Matter will still need to be introduced.

By the way, the Irathian girl prisoner is now in San Franciso with more hellbug shenanigans.