Jack Bauer and 24 series on precipice of same mistake ST. TNG made.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

I'm talking about ending the series prematurely to concentrate on a movie franchise...

Look if polled I'd be willing to be a fair share of TNG would have prefered a couple more seasons to the the general misfires that were most of the TNG film series.

I can see 24 doing the same thing. A two hour movie can never compete with the richness a full season of a series can bring.

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Jack Bauer and 24 series on precipice of same mistake ST. TNG made

But there isn't going to be another series of 24: the network has decided that. Doing a movie is the studio's way of keeping the franchise alive.

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was never going to be anymore TNG either. Cinema was the only avenue left for that series, once Roddenberry died, & included a seven season limitation, in his will.

At least that's what I've heard. Honestly, I don't think TNG translates as well to cinema as TOS did. I'd have preferred it if it had just remained a longer running series, myself

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The mistake TNG made was letting the series go for a season longer than the writers had energy for. I think there's a lot to like about season seven, but it's definitely a step down.

When it comes to 24, there's been talk of a movie for years. FOX didn't choose to cancel the series because of the movie, they chose to cancel it because of declining ratings and rising costs (it probably hasn't helped that it hasn't been critically acclaimed since season five).

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it was just a matter of seven seasons being enough episodes to syndicate. GR didn't have anything to do with it. Once the 'tipping point' of seven seasons was reached, it was simply more cost effective to end the show and syndicate the existing episodes.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The mistake TNG made was shuffling all of their better writers from TNG to DS9 that's what made TNG's final season so weak.

As for 24, the series has pretty much ran its course, its premise and its gimmick as far as it can. It's been a series that's gone with a "deminishing returns" way of plotting itself by every seasoning "needing to be" a bigger a bigger threat.

Season 1 was simply about one man's life. If Jack failed the country and world wouldn't collapse just the election would be somewhat screwed up.

After that they've pretty much gone with a "bigger and bigger" country threat and even to global threats until they hit Season 4 where they pretty much dumped any "realism" they tried to stay with and just made the threats and villains more and more absurd. I love the series but it had gotten goofy after a while.

24 has ran its course. It's not making the same mistakes TNG did as the people writing the movies that were hired are different than the series writers. TNG went with series writers, one of them one of their weaker ones, and went with a mediocre director they also had a lot of EP/studio mandates to follow. I think 24 will make the transition to movies just fine.

7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This PLUS ramping up Voyager at the same time PLUS ramping up for the movie which started filming almost immediately.

There were too many distractions. THAT was TNG's big mistake for the final season.

Otherwise, it's best they left while still relatively "on top".

8. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

That's taking the effect and making it the cause though. The end of TNG was planned before Voyager was planned to replace it. Same with the movie. It would not have been made with the series still on.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't a 24 movie totally against the whole concept of the series? :confused:

10. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prematurely? The show's been on for nine years and produced 8 seasons, of which only 3 were actually great. :rolleyes:

11. Captain Worf

Captain Worf Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think they're just going to do the whole day in two hours or however long the movie ends up being.

The problem with 24 is that the writers have established a pretty narrow set of parameters and are content to stick to them, which has made the show formulaic and predictable. We'll see if they can make it fresh again with the movie. I mean, after season 6 was pretty much universally panned, there was a lot of talk of the writers trying to reinvent the show, but aside from changing the location from LA to DC and NY, they really haven't changed anything.

12. JarodRussell

Just like any other regular action movie then. Oh lol.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The idea I've heard for the movie is that the first hour of the movie would be the first 23-hours of the day, or hell even take place over several days, and the final hour would be the "real time."

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

:guffaw:It was Paramount's decision to do movies, they owned Star Trek and no one else.
    Even if he had included a seven year limitation in his will, Paramount would have just laughed their asses off, it was never his decision to make.

15. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What ruined the TNG movies is lack of vision and scope like the TOS movies had.

I mean, even TMP had the good intentions of being an epic story, even if the implementation wasn't exactly the best.

Every TOS movie had a large scope to it. The only TNG movie that had a (arguably) large scope was First Contact. Saying that the rest were 2 parter episodes is doing a disservice to great two parters, like BOBW, Time's Arrow, and AGT, all of which had scope.

At best, most of the TNG movies were bad two parters.

16. Non-Beard Riker

Non-Beard Riker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

They should've brought in "fresh blood" for the movies. The TOS movies had completely different guys behind them. Braga, Berman, Piller and Moore don't seem to have the skills to write movies for the big screen.

A TNG Nicholas Meyer would have been appreciated.

17. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, as has been said before, "24" is being cancelled because of declining ratings, the only reason anything really gets cancelled. Some shows, like "M*A*S*H" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" choose to end on a high but those are the exceptions.

As for a "24" movie, I'll believe it when I see it.

18. Captain Worf

Captain Worf Lieutenant Red Shirt

They sorta tried that with Baird and Logan...

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BOO YA!
    :techman:

(Also, many people, especially myself, think they HAD what it takes for movies, First Contact being the proof. Just not consistently...)

20. JarodRussell

And I will NEVER understand how they could hire an action movie editor to direct a science fiction movie.