Ummm.... Worf on TV again?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by gastrof, Oct 18, 2012.

1. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well anyone can work on any TV show they like, it doesn't mean CBS would give them the time of day. If CBS greenlights a series, it will be because the want to capitalize on the success of Abrams' movies and Worf has nothing to do with that.

A Worf series won't interest them. It has nothing to do with "politics," it's just plain old fashioned brand managment. Star Trek now means "successful and fun" to millions of people who never paid any attention to it, or wrote it off as some boring hokey old crap. The last thing CBS wants to do is undo all of that, and certainly not to bring in anything associated with the boring old crap.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

But how many people in the general public have any idea who JJ Abrams is, or that he had anything to do with the last Star Trek movie?

I would say that the majority of the movies I see and enjoy I am completely unaware of the names of the producers, directors, writers, catering service and in some cases the names of the non-star actors involved.

ST Eleven popularize the idea and name Star Trek, another series would not have to be closely tied to it. Just adhere to general themes.

:)

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I don't mean that CBS would use Abrams' name to promote the series, but CBS internally certainly knows who the guy is, and that he has a solid track record of TV success. The ads might say, from the creator of Lost and some of the other successful series he's had some involvement in, and of course ignore Alcatraz and all the other misfires... And they'd mention that he's the director of (by then) the last two or three Star Trek movies.

All that is marketing, which is separate from the decision to pick up a series from him or writers of his movies. But when they pick up a series, they certainly consider if it's easy or hard to market and what the general approach should be.

Let's say they want to use Abrams' name or successful movies and shows to pump up the credibility of the series. Even if Abrams has no real involvement other than to give it his blessing, they would make sure that's part of the deal with Bob Orci, since it would impact the marketability and therefore potential success of the series.

But CBS is not going to pick up a series where all they can say is, it's associated with unsuccessful movies and a TV show you've all forgotten about, that is, if you ever watched it in the first place (I wouldn't assume the current CBS audience is at all the same as the former Star Trek audience on UPN.)

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I haven't the faintest idea why CBS would ever produce a new Star Trek series about Worf. I mean, he's popular with hard-core Trekkies, but the general audience? Why would they watch a show about him?

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well between the TNG movies and ST09 there's an increasing trend to give Trek an action heavy theme. Even Enterprise focused more on random fighting and less on moral and traditional sci-fi themes.

So Worf would be the perfect captain if the premise of the show's going to be fighting in space.

7. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Saw this a few weeks ago. I'm basically against it, seen enough of Worf after 11 seasons and 4 movies. I'd rather see new characters on a show instead.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

ENT and VOY both resorted to firing phase cannons/phasers on almost every alien they encountered than being a more advanced human and defusing the situation through discussion and mediation (granted Archer was such a muppet that he had no other option and with Janeway it depended on who was writing that episode).

Action will get more casual viewers tuning in, but it would really depend on how good the series was written whether or not it would have any sticking power. The situation and over-arching plot would need to be well thought through (no temporal cold war that is then forgotten about that tied up in a single episode), as well as a strong, well-developed and consistant characters--people non-Worf fans will want to see take centre stage.

Personally, I agree with ElimParra, Worf has been used so often that I don't see much else could be done with him. If a Captain Worf series did come to fruition I would watch it, but if it was a weak show then I'd stop and wouldn't be all that fussed if I saw it or not (kind of like what happened with me and VOY).

9. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably not but then all we have to go on is that byline. Star Trek! Captain Worf!

If there was a series concept that actually seemed to fit whatever CBS might want from a Star Trek series - like, for example, full of young heart-throbs except for that old ridge-head guy who serves as a kind of mentor/leader figure - that might work.

But it's true Worf himself is only a selling point to devoted Trekkies.

And personally? Yeah I'd totally like a series about Worf. Worf has had more screentime than any other Star Trek character ever, and yet I'd still totally love to check in on that guy and see what he's up to these days. He's a fun character and Dorn was consistently good with his material. Granted, Worf as a leader couldn't be used as a sounding board for ideas to reject as he was on TNG.

And really, this would be a different character in some ways. Worf matured and perhaps even mellowed by his decades of experience and adventures. That kind of progression would be interesting.