The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Avilos

Avilos Guest

Jackson, I am curious as to what scenes you saw the filming for? Where you surprised by the context of those scenes in the overall film?

If there is a 3rd film and it once again shoots in Chicago I am driving down from Wisconsin to join you to watch!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's probably not that funny objectively but I about hacked up a lung watching that especially since it was bugging me the whole film.:)

3. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

I would think they would do something like Marvel. If anything Marvel is doing it right.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

Trivia: What other superhero is in "Dark Knight"?

What other superhero appears in "Batman: The Dark Knight"??

Answer:
    Nestor Carbonell, who plays the Mayor, was Batmanuel in "The Tick" (2001 live action version) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004801/

I was surprised to see him.... and even more surprised that no one else has made mention of it.

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Re: Trivia: What other superhero is in "Dark Knight"?

Talking of records - I found out in Australia over the weekend it took 11.8 million dollars, and so far has 14 million. Will be interesting to see what it can get here? 40 million maybe??

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm. That's a good question. That makes me want to rejog my memory. Let's see:
    1. The parking garage. That's where we get our reintroduction to Batman as he foils a meeting between The Scarecrow and some gang members. I was there for two days worth of filming, from 10pm to 5am, and it was literally an extraordinary experience: My friends and I sneaked on set on the first night. We were sort of shamefully hiding in the staircase and I look out the door and who do I see walking up? Christopher Nolan. So, like a little kid on Halloween, my friends and I rush up a few steps and I look down to see Chris Nolan heading down the staircase. I so wanted to ambush him but I thought better of it. I ran down the stairs and sheepishly watched filming from afar the remainder of the evening. The next evening I went to the parking garage and managed to sneak on set again. This time, I was a bit more ambitious, and I sneaked onto the actual set: I saw Chris Nolan coming out of the van with a little portable DVD player (or so it seemed like, probably to see the filming of the scene) and a stuntman came out dressed as The Scarecrow and a stuntman (Buster Reeves) came out as Batman. I was so tempted to snap pictures but I thought against it. Unfortunately a bit later a PA asked my friends and I to leave, so we did. Later that evening, or should I say morning, my friends and I waited outside the parking garage as they wrapped filming for the evening. Chris Nolan came out talking to (I would presume would be) members of the crew, as well as director of photography Wally Pfister. I was again, sooo extremely tempted to get an autograph or a picture but I resisted. I didn't want to ambush the guy. Then, someone literally walks up after I made that decision with a poster of Ledger as Joker and gets an autograph from Nolan. I didn't know whether to kick myself or to just walk away.
    2. The funeral procession. That is when they have the funeral for Commissioner Loeb. I was actually an extra during one day, in the crowd of walking mourners in the procession. That day I actually got to see Aaron Eckhart & Gary Oldman, as well as director Christopher Nolan. I didn't get autographs either, mostly because the 2nd assistant director was very keen that we keep our mark. The other day I was there I was able to see Chris Nolan & Wally Pfister film something with a Ford Expedition featuring Gary Oldman. I was literally feet away from them! It was incredible.
    3. The ferry sequence. I was an extra when they were loading the Gotham citizens on the boat (as seen in the film when the convicts are being loaded and the National Guard is trying to keep us away) and Wally Pfister was literally right around where I was standing operating the camera. Chris Nolan came up and calmly said, "All right, Wally" and then they started the scene. I don't even know if I was in the frame but it was extraordinary just to be right there with Chris Nolan. I wonder if he noticed me popping up everywhere. I doubt it, but he didn't give me any dirty looks, so I'm hopeful he just forgot me after the first few stalker-like visits to the set. :D
    Those were the moments I remember explicility. There were more, like when I visited the Lower Wacker set when they were filming the chase, and Heath Ledger -- in full make-up -- arrived in a Mercedes Benz, walked out, and smiled at my friends and I on Upper Wacker which was incredibly eerie before walking on-set. I literally stalked the set from April 2007 to September 2007, the months they filmed in Chicago. I didn't catch all of them filming on every location, but you can rest assure I tried my damn best!

Some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Avilos

Avilos Guest

Thanks! I wanted to go to Milwaukee when Public Enemies was being shot there. But my schedule did not allow it.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ummm... I've mentioned him a few times.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ And we had a huge thread on it at one point.

11. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

The Joker must go on...

I have seen this movie four times now and I have come to this conclusion..the JOKER must go on. He is Batman's counterpart and with out him the whole Gotham universe will seem off. You may disagree, and that is cool, but with out the Joke, Batman will seem hollow. So how do they go on with out Ledger?

Recast. I think there are only a few actors that could step in and do the role justice; but would they do it?

Brad Pitt. He reaches the same fan base that Ledger does. And he can play 'aloof' characters (12 Monkeys-Fight Club). He is also 'big' in terms of name. Heck they could even throw in catwoman (his 'girl' Angela) and get a package deal.

Depp maybe, he was my first pick for new Batman series to be Joker. But his connection to Burton will most likely preclude that.

Yes, I know, Riddler and Penguine are out there too, but to me Joker and Ra's al Ghul were Batman's more 'serious' threats. The others were just comical (remember Jim carrey)..

The Joker must go on. I think Ledger would have wanted that as well....

so what about you folks? Who could really seriously take Ledger's part and bring in a skeptical audience who most definately wants more of the clown prince of crime?

Rob

12. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Re: The Joker must go on...

Nope. Ledger can't be recast. And anyway, the first Batman series of movies only had one Joker one. There's lots of other bad guys to work with...re-doing the Pengiun would be great as I really disliked Devitio's version.

13. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the question now is less SHOULD the Joker be recast but rather COULD he be recast? Of course, Nolan could find another actor for the third movie, but is there any actor alive who could possibly be expected to live up to the incredible hype and expectation and payoff that Ledger's Joker has delivered?

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I disagree...roles can be recast, Joker being one of them. Joker can not die. If you read the Batman comic books, and I have since the early 60s, he is Batman's counterpart and always has been...The other villains, Penguine-Riddler-Clayface, none of them resonate as much as the Joker. And the last Batman movie series got progressively worse...

The Joker must go on..

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

We need Cesar Romero and his painted over moustache.

16. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I think..and I am sad to say...not even Mr. Romero can save us in a time like this. I feel your grief.

Rob

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Or they could go the Birds of Prey route. In that brief TV Series the Joker was arrested following his attempted murder of Barbara Gordon. He was taken to a maximum security prison (he was the only prisoner with no less than 50 guards watching him at all times).

Ledger did such a good job with the Joker that I don't really think anyone could live up to what he did with the character. At least not right away.

18. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

The Joker neither should nor can he be recast. Not without producing one hell of a letdown following the incredible peformance from the late Heath Ledger. As for Cesar Romero, I had hoped that, somehow, The Dark Knight would have finally laid to rest the memory of his Joker... as well as the entire 1960's TV series, for that matter. No dice, huh? :D

19. Superman

Superman Fleet Captain

I think they should go with Paul Bettany.

He's got the chops. He'd probably be able to hew close to Ledger's take while making it his own as well.

And he's got that long, Joker-esque face.

\S/

20. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I agree..it would be a tough act to follow. And I also agree I am not even sure it could be done. But more importantly, I don't think anyone is going to touch the Joker, in the current series, because of what happened in real life.

It would have been better had they edited the movie for him to die. But with his being alive out there it will always be hanging there....

There is one way to do it perhaps. Let another movie come out, have it take place several years later. Let the Bane character come into the picture, break Batman's back at the end...

Then the fourth movie takes place many years later, Bruce Wayne is older. He gets his "batman" beyond replacement...and then we see the Joker, at last, again. 10 years would have passed in real life, at least, and maybe 15-20 in the movie..the Joker would be played by an older actor, just as Bale would now be older...with 8-10 years between the fourth movie and this one then I think enough time would have passed and the excitement of Ledger's Joker would have ebbed..

It would be announced as the final Batman movie in the series with, at last, the return of the Joker...

I think it could work..

Rob
    Scorpio