Alien5: It's a Bug Hunt (pre-release thread)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nightowl1701, Feb 19, 2015.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to it too. I dare say I'm a little more excited for it than Alien 5.

My wife hated it though...

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I also loved Prometheus and I'm excited the sequel is finally moving forward.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prometheus is a great film, with a few flaws. And, thanks to the 21st mindset of being spoiled little brats, movie-lovers that don't get enought attention back home will bash the flaws whenever, where-ever, to get some attention.

Sure, it's not perfect. Nothing is. But if you've seen the Alien-films in your midteens, and now worship them to death, nothing is going to compare if you are unwilling. Look at it without bias, and you might just like it.

I love the Alien movies. They are at the core of my movie-loving self. But I also don't compare. A movie is a movie. Even when it's a sequel, prequel or set in the same universe, it should be judged by its own merits and flaws.

And yes, again, Prometheus is flawed. But it's also very human at its core. We make mistakes, some very stupid ones, in our pursuit to discover. To learn, to find out more.

The biggest complaints I keep hearing is, the scientists taking their helmets off. In Star Trek, if the tricorders say it's safe to breath, we all say 'go for it'. A horror-movie does the same, and people say the characters are being stupid. As if those viewers actually asume that the characters are somehow aware they're in a horrormovie??
    If and when we go to the stars in real life, we'll have developed gadgets that can measure atmosphere. We will trust those gadgets, and take our helmets off. We would not say to ourselves 'you know, if that was a movie, we'd now get infected deathbugs that will grow inside of us'. What we will do, is check the enviroment for bacterias and such. And you can bet your ass that's what happened in Prometheus. Only later when a container was breached, did things go wrong.

As for Shaw and Vickers running in the wrong bloody direction... There's plenty of clips of accidents/disasters in real life where people run in stupid directions because of fear/stress/anxiety. Just because, as a viewer not experiencing, can make a rational choice, doesn't mean someone facing death would.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Add me to the pile of people who think that Damon Lindelof made Prometheus script much better.