KHAAAAAAAAA(N?)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by austen_pierce, Jun 28, 2014.

1. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Watched STID last night. Great movie.

In the Nibiru chase scene, I could swear I heard one of the natives shout "Khaaaaan!" maybe without the trailing 'n'. My wife heard it too and said something even before I did.

Anyone else hear this?

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

No, didn't pick up on that.

I'm still getting over "you pompous ass" from TVH - which in all these years, I'd never consciously noticed until someone highlighted it here a few months ago!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

It's Abrams letting the audience know what's coming, displaying some of the subtlety for which he is not known. :evil:

4. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

The Nibirians are telepathic species, and there was a Section 31 operative on board the Enterprise. They saw the whole thing coming. If only Kirk didn't dismiss them as primitive...

5. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I heard that opening night in 1986! Although the music almost matches the phase in intonation and cadence, so it could easily get lost.

6. austen_pierce

7. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Never saw it in the theater....but I knew someone shouted something at the Klingon Ambassador as he stormed out of the council chambers. I didn't know until just a couple of years ago that it was "You pompous ass!"...watched Trek IV with subtitles that time. :) You're absolutely right though...the music and cadence almost obscures the phrase.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I think I hear it at 0:10, 0:16, and 0:23, too. It's just loudest at 0:38. It's the same voice all four times. Sounds like, "Kaaaah!" to me, not Khan. Maybe it's the voice of the leader of the chase, and he's repeatedly yelling, "Stop!"

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I was just about to say the same.

Sounds about right. (Or "Get them!" or "Bitch stole our sacred scroll!")

10. austen_pierce

Definitely.... in the context of the scene.

But in the audience, I'm hearing "Khaaa!" or "Kaaah!" or maybe even "Khaan" (okay, my brain might be putting the 'N' in there). At the beginning of a movie which culminates with the infamous Quinto "Khaaaaan!" scream. Coincidence? I don't think so. Of course, I have no way of knowing.

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Next you'd be telling me Kirk didn't say "I don't know what I'm supposed to do, but I know what I Khan do".

12. austen_pierce

:guffaw: It all ties in! ;)

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I wouldn't completely rule it out - J.J. is known to be fond of mirroring certain key story moments in other scenes. Mirroring a sound would be sneakier, though.

:lol:

14. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

!!!!

Does someone have a link to that scene in Star Trek IV?

Are you all referring to the moment when the Klingon Ambassador begins to leave and we hear a voice?

I always thought that was a background Klingon or something.