Guns N' Roses - Live in Santiago, Chile 1992

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tomswift2002, Apr 25, 2015.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Okay, I'm not a Guns N' Roses fan, but I just recently picked up for 25 cents at a pawn shop a VHS tape of a Guns N' Roses concert from Santiago, Chile in 1992, due to the tape being a high-quality tape that I would reuse for recording other stuff.

Now then it is an odd sort of video, as there is no label with copyright information, a side from a spine label saying that it is from the "Get In The Ring" Tour and that it was professionally shot---I disagree with this, but more on that later. When I look that tour up on the internet it appears to be their Illusion tour that ran from 1991-1993. Now then I can find no information about this video being recorded for TV broadcast or even home video release.

Now them when I watch the video, it starts off with an interview with what looks like a member of the band, and a news reporter (sorry I don't know what they are saying as they are speaking in Spanish or Portugese, or whatever language Chileans speak), but then it goes to the concert and the concert looks and sounds like it was shot by an amateur. Zooms are very rough, the depth of field looks like something that you would've found on a consumer Video8 or High8 camcorder of the era. It also looks like the camera is being held by hand, as the image is constantly shaking, plus the audio sounds like it was being captured by the onboard camera mic, as everything is muffled. But amidst all this amateurish shooting, there is a bug for a TV station in the right bottom corner. I find it hard that a TV station could've broadcast this amateur-home-video-level movie. But at the same time it raises the question of whether this was an official release, or is this a scarce GNR video?

Also, with my video tape, it appears as if it is a 5th or 6th VHS SP generation copy.

So does anyone know anything about this video?

2. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Lieutenant Commander

I think that might be one of the many concert where Axl almost walked out because someone threw a beer bottle on stage and he had to get the interpreter out to tell the audience to stop. I don't know for sure though.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

FTFY

5. Mr. Adventure

When I saw them, Axl wasn't happy with one of the songs so they performed it twice. :lol:

6. tomswift2002

That's the one (and in better condition than the one that I have). And if you watch at 27:26 you can see how it looks very amateurish. Plus it's interesting how that video and my copy have the same tracking errors in the same places. But as I mentioned earlier mine also looks like a 5th or 6th VHS generation copy, so I wonder if mine was a copy sourced from that online version.

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

When I saw them some idiot threw a bottle at the stage and knocked Duff out cold halfway through the show.

Axl said "If you find the fucker who threw that, kill him." He dropped the microphone, and the show was over.

8. fonzob1

fonzob1 Captain Captain

I remember Metallica and Guns 'n' Roses toured together for a short period during the use your illusion tour. As a teenager, I wanted to go to that show bad. I never did see either of those bands play live.

Plastic beer bottles were an ingenious invention.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  9. Mr. Adventure

That sounds terrible and at the same time the greatest show ever.

10. 1001001

They were rocking pretty hard up until that point. And they started only 40 minutes late, which for them was on-time.

:lol:

The images from Montreal were still pretty fresh in our minds, so once Axl and Slash spoke their piece, my friend and I got the hell out of Dodge. Quickly.

The whole thing is here:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVyYPs_9ons[/yt]

11. tomswift2002

That's the quality of the video that I've got (except without the date stamp). Were these videos actually shot by a professional, or some wanna-be videographers?

12. 1001001

I'm sure the Sacramento one is a bootleg from the audience.

13. Mr. Adventure

That would have to suck though to spend all that money and time and then only get a fraction of the show. I saw them co-headline with Metallica and I won the tickets so I saw GnR as a bonus but yeah that'd have to be a bummer.

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Metallica's "Some kind of monster" documentary talks about Metallica/Guns'n'Roses a little bit. Hetfield mentioned how he got into a bad stage accident when he stood too close to the pyrotechnics and got burned.

Axl, being the diva he apparently is according to Hetfield, dropped the ball then when they didn't want to take over the gig and chaos erupted.

I saw Metallica and GnR live in the 90s (on separate occasions) and both were A list rock/metal bands (Metallica still is thankfully) and it's one of my best concert memories i have.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I saw G'n'R at Slane Castle in 1992 on the UYI tour, with Matt Sorum on drums and Gilby Clarke on rhythm guitar. It was a good, if not great, gig and there was no walk off.

Saw them in Belfast in 2009, which was sandwiched between an apparently disastrous set at Reading and a gig in Dublin where they came on late and walked off early. But the Belfast gig, which got completely overlooked in the media, was a really good one. Unfortunately, it didn't suit the music press' 'Axl is finished' narrative.