Captain Morgan Bateson

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did TrekLit ever follow up on the 24th century stranding of the Captain Bateson character from Cause and Effect? If so, any good?

ETA: And apart from Watching the Clock. I guess I more meant stories that aren't directly related to the incident themselves.

2. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

The best known one as far as I know is Ship of the Line written by Diane Carey.

To be honest I like it a lot. I really love the style of captain she establishes Bateson to be (think a slightly more butch Frasier Crane) and a certain amount of puncturing of the pomposity about the elevated state of humanity common to next gen was nice. It's one major downfall is that a major point within the story involves a claim that Picard met the Borg AFTER being tortured by Gul Madred. And that one error so big you could drive a trucking fuck through it kind of is like a hole at the bottom of a barrel of beer.

Even with that I still personally rate it as one of my favorite stand alone Trek novels, and one of my favorite Carey novels.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember The Captain's Daughter, by Peter David. The novel is primarily about Sulu's family life, but there is a cameo by Captain Bateson. Though it's nothing too serious, it's the only thing I can think of featuring him before getting stuck in that temporal loop.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The other notable continuity issue with Ship of the Line is that it portrays Bateson's bridge crew as all-male when there are clearly two women behind him on the bridge at the end of "Cause and Effect" -- plus it portrays the Typhon Expanse as a regularly patrolled, settled part of Federation space adjacent to the Klingon border in the 2270s, even though C&E states (four or five times, due to the time loop) that it's still uncharted space as of the 2360s. So SotL, while a worthwhile story in its own right, is not one that fits into Trek continuity very well.

There were a couple of Strange New Worlds stories and a short DC Comics story (not a full issue, part of an anthology special) about Bateson adjusting to the time jump, and at least two of them involved Scotty.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Bateson makes an appearance in the Destiny trilogy.

6. Sho

Thanks to everyone, always amazed by the effort put into answers :).

I guess I will put Ship of the Line on my reading list. Diane Carey seems well-regarded in general ...

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

8. Sho

^ Hey, if you did that in response to this thread that's awesome service! :D

Kidding, I realize it probably follows on from the Destiny appearance DonIago mentioned and has to have been in motion for some time given the schedule.

9. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Yeah, that book was written and turned in months ago. It's already through copy edit, and should be in first-pass page proofs any day now.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Reading through the thread I'd just decided that I was going to post 'I really wish someone would do something with Bateson again' when I reached your entry.

Outstanding !

PS - are his somewhat more fastidious brother or cantankerous father making appearances ? ;)

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although I feel that everyone should form their own opinions about a novel, I can share how I feel about Ships Of The Line...

I lent my copy to a fellow Trekkie who had never read any TrekLit. I told her to keep an open mind. When I asked her what she thought, she replied it was sorta fun, but not very good. Ok, I told her, then your in luck. Because after this it only get's better. ;)

13. Sho

Ouch :).

14. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

You're not alone; it's the one Carey book I own that I really struggled with, which came as a surprise as I really loved her New Earth books and her novelization of the Dominion War duology was what got me into Trek Lit in the first place. Can't win 'm all I suppose...

Returning to Bateson - I loved the way Watching the Clock made use of the Bozeman and crew. (Then again, the whole book rocked, lol.)

15. Sho

For the record, I really loved Watching the Clock as well, I didn't mean to single it out in the OP to suggest otherwise. Really it's one of the meatiest and most substantial-feeling TrekLit novels I've read.

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you seen Star Trek: 30 Years and Beyond from 1996?

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yes - I'd have liked to have seen some more adventures for that bridge crew !

18. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So excited that Batesman will be in Cold Equations. I hope it is big role. I've been watching a lot of Frazier lately and I loved Ship of the Line so bring on the Batesman!

19. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

You don´t say :rommie: Last time I heard of him during the Destiny events.

Lookin´forward to the German translations later that year. Nice birthday present for me, Cold Equations (Kalte Berechnungen) :)