The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can they not get both?

2. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It could be Cumberbatch's hand.

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Absolutely nothing about Cumberbatch playing something other than an entirely new character, that's for damn sure. They did, however, tell us that a first season character, and a fan favorite at that, would appear somewhere in the film. They weren't clear as to whether that character played a significant role in this story or not; merely that they'd "appear", which could easily be fulfilled with a mere cameo.

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

They know exactly that the fans will see the movie anyway!

5. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's wrong with having a general audience see a Star Trek film?

When people complain about Trek being popular with people other than the fans, it reminds me of that Onion newsflash about the fans complaining that the new Star Trek film is actually successful.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't give a shit whether it looks like Star Trek or not, because only two or three of the oldTrek movies are anything better than mediocre - almost by accident, it seems; neither Bennett nor Berman ever found any kind of groove with the things. A couple of them are truly shitty, and perversely seem to rank high with the fanboise (thus demonstrating that it's worth no one's money and effort to play to fannish tastes).

If Abrams delivers another bit of solid movie entertainment here, he'll have accomplished twice in a row what his predecessors flailed and failed at most of the time.

7. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is my thinking as well... I think this new villain is someone that Starfleet screwed over somehow. But someone NEW !!

But ya know what I kinda think?
    A "Homeland" style plot device with Cumberbund (?) playing a surgically altered Klingon spy/terrorist (like TOS) who, as a sleeper agent, befriended Kirk, lived and worked in the federation, then activated. Motivated either by some revenge for how his people are treated by Starfleet, or simple personal disgust with humanity and our gross freedoms and decadence (kinda Al Qaeda-ish,) since it's such a movie/tv trend these days....

OR .... AN ANDROID !!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

And that's the least I hope for.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched it. All the comments of youtube saying he's playing Khan. Hmm, seems far more likely to be Gary Mitchell to me, esp with the Dr. Dehner a like in it too

10. Edge of Forever

Edge of Forever Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Been lurking for a while, but I felt the need to make this point so I dug up the account I haven't used in four years.

But to everyone saying this doesn't feel like Star Trek. What exactly is Star Trek meant to feel like. I mean, after 700 episodes and 11 films, I don't think Star Trek can have just one feel. It's been a deep philosophical tale (Measure or Man, Inner Light), A Die Hard style action film (Starship Mine, Empok Nor), War Story (the Dominion War), a time travel story focusing on the inevitability of fate (City on the Edge of Forever), a action time travel story (that voyage one- can't remember it's name-. First Contact, Generations), a comedy (Voyage Home), allegory for historical events (Undiscovered Country, Cardassian occupation of Bajor), horror story (anything with the borg, that one with the bugs in voyager -man, I am horrible at remember episode names for voyager) and a whole list of other stuff.

My point is that saying Star Trek has a particular feel is a major disservice to what Star Trek is and what it has the potential to be.

Blockbuster action adventure that gets a lot of arses in seats may be new for Star Trek, but that doesn't make it any less Star Trek. Star XI and STiD seem to contain all the hall marks of what has been in every Star Trek film and show so far- A tight nit crew, an awesome ship, alien worlds, The Federation and Starfleet, Klingons.

Saying STiD doesn't feel like Star Trek is really redundant because it implies Star Trek can only be one thing, or only one of a few things which obviously is not the case.

Also, Trailer looks bloody amazing, I'm spent the last four hours geeking out without stop.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have not read through this entire thread but I think the trailer is amazing. I am more excited than ever now.

12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You make an excellent point. I think fans will just have to get used to the fact that Star Trek has changed. The fact is that TNG, DS9,VOY were different from TOS. The times have changed. Today, people want to see action movies with more CGI and explosions. JJ Abrams is catering to what he knows will sell.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Doesn't look like the Enterprise. Weller's character's ship? Weller said his character had a starship.

Whatever ship that is, it's hard to believe a crash like that isn't going to destroy it. Would Abrams really destroy the Enterprise in the second movie before Kirk has even gotten the captain's chair warm?

14. DrBeverly

DrBeverly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The woman definitely looks like Dehner, but that screaming? I swear Dehner wasn't that much of a wimp in WNMHGB.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fully destroy, I highly doubt it.
    Enough damage for some upgrades and cosmetic changes, maybe.

16. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Fantastic trailer!

"... for I have returned... to have... my... vengeance..."

It's Khan.

The ship lifting out of the water is Enterprise. But the ship crashing into the water doesn't seem to be. The nacelles look to be more like TOS-era nacelles.

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Not only are the Nacelles the wrong shape the ship seems too small to be the Enterprise.

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Well, if the 24th century Akira class can bear a strong design resemblance to the NX class of more than 200 years earlier then it's not out of the realm that at least one Federation starship class of Kirk's time might be a design homage to the NX. In both timelines I imagine that the very first Warp 5 starships built and launched by humans would be honored in later generations to one degree or another.

And who knows, really...we saw very little of the ship crashing into San Francisco Bay and our eyes might be playing tricks on us. It might not resemble Archer's Enterprise at all once we get a much better look at the thing.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They look like the Enterprise-E's nacelles to me. The ship looks vaguely shaped like an old fan design, the Akyazi-class. Picture HERE

20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Too thin, no fins at the rear end and not very round on the front end.

They look very different.