Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

• My truck suffered irreparable engine damage.
    Really hate auto mechanics--the worst of my credit card debt is to these thieves

• My work load has doubled and I've been denied a raise.
    Same here. At least we saw some really nice art that might not have existed otherwise.

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Heh, I had a few crappy animations lying around so I decided to group them together.

Here's a quick little montage of my Enterprise F in motion.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrRF6Y9wuQA[/yt]

3. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

Terrific Dac! She looks sooo sexy in motion. [​IMG] What software are you using? How did you do the warp and contrail effects?

4. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to admit, she does look good while in motion.

I would probably stretch out the nacelles a little bit, because now that I think of it, they do look a little plump, like a fat moth without it's wings.:p

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've got my vote.

(It's well-known that the votes of the fans count a lot more than CBS)

6. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Yes, she looks VERY sexy in motion.

(I was actually touching myself inappropriately there, for a second. But nobody saw me because I live in my parents' basement.)

7. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I have been enjoying this design for awhile. It reminds me The Protector from Galaxy Quest (and for some reason an octopus or a squid).

This one is a winner. It's balanced, looks good from multiple angles, looks familiar and different at the same time, and is a plausible evolution in design.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the back end of the engineering hull and the business with the pylons kinda does seem a bit like the Protector.

9. Fuzzy Modem

Still gives me a WhiteStar vibe.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Hah, wow. That reaction has cheered me up a bit. :p Thanks.

Fuzzy, I made it in Cinema 4D. The Warp effect is a couple of reeaaaaaaallly long cylinders with stars stretched on em moving a little bit. The "contrail" is simply a set of parallel spot lights with the visibility turned on.

JES if anything I thought the nacelles should have been bigger to balance out the chunky secondary hull. Then again, due to the size of her larger nacelles would have been the length of an entire Excelsior, so I thought that was maybe a bit too much. That's partly why the fins/rods came in at the back, to make it longer without actually adding too much mass. They're also there to link it to the J, and just because I think they look kinda cool. :p

As for the Protector refs, I didn't see it before but if you do ditch the saucer, Yeah, I guess the secondary hull really is like the Protector. Heh. I guess that may have been in the back of my mind, it wasn't entirely intentional. I do think Galaxy Quest is the best Trek movie though, so I'm not complaining if a bit of that creeped in :p

As for the WhiteStar, holy shit. I've seen all of 1 episode of Babylon 5 in my life, so im not intimately familiar with its ships, but wow, yeah, you got me dead to rights there. I guess the Pylons/Nacelles on my F really do look like they've been ripped from that. Again, I didn't intentionally do that. I have seen the WhiteStar before though, so I guess that could have snuck into my memory, but, yeah, that is kinda explicit.

Again, the reason the nacelles/pylons are so far back is because I wanted length without mass. She's already a huge ship, yet I still wanted some sleekness to her, so unlike the E-D I made her longer than she is wider.

EDIT: Wow, YouTube butchered the fuck outta the quality on that. I guess she doesnt play well with PAL formats.

11. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the suspense is killing me :scream:

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome video and ship design :) :techman:

13. Fuzzy Modem

It happens. Certain shapes compliment one another regardless of familiarity with similar designs, especially with organic shapes, as the human eye knows the proper shape of a living organism that swims or flies.

Often you must choose to make it look right, or shoot for original and risk looking wrong.

Your F looks right, and I wouldn't second guess your decisions or influences.

Mine too. My guess is we can pay for a "premium account" or something to maintain quality, but I haven't looked into it yet.

14. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

Try Vimeo. Their HD compression is awesome (i.e., almost nonexistent).

~Belisarius

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I was going too, but dont you have to queue for 15 minutes before you can upload it though? It was 3am when I posted that, and couldnt be bothered to wait around longer than I needed too :p

Its not HD res anyway, if I did those would have taken twice as long to render. I plan on building on a new PC soon, so, hopefully then I can blast out some HD animations without them taking days to render.

16. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't have made the whole nacelle as thick, but made it thicker towards the front, and have it become thinner towards the end. I also think that I would probably play with the idea of having the fins on the top, like the Constitution class. I agree with finding fins to be cool though.

I probably would have tried balancing better balancing the design by making the secondary hull less chunky, or making it appear less chunky. I don't know, to me, the secondary hull looks like a stretched out oval, and doesn't look all that attractive to me. I think it is a good shape to start with, but needs a lot of playing around with and a bit of work, so that it looks less like a stretched out oval.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The lack of information is REALLY getting annoying.

18. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

Welcome to my world, Sojourner. For the better part of three decades, I've generally been the one tasked with trying to get a comment from Apple on a product.

DF "How Can You Market Yourself As 'Open' When You Never Say Anything?" Scott

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So annoyed I changed my avatar after 3 years of House.

20. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You have to go back. Not a request, your avatar us a staple here. This change will not do, not do at all.