Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd also say the bridge of the original Enterprise had two levels. :techman:

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't like all angles of the new Enterprise, but that's the same for all Enterprises except the Constitution-refit. In this case, that was a beautiful angle. I think it looks worst from the top, actually.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So that's the Cinefex cover I didn't get. :-(

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    No, it's actually rather obvious some people don't _want_ the Enterprise to be larger than the TOS version, for some reason. As if it was vitally important to maintain the Trek universe in one piece or something. It can't be that, mind you, because as you've pointed out already, it's just fiction. Right ?

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's fair to say some fans' ideas are somewhat crystalized. They see a shape that looks like what their old size comparison charts say is 300m and so this new one MUST be that same size, despite those who made it explaining how they enlarged it and why, and us pointing out how all the details (bridge window, airlocks, shuttlebay, dome etc etc) are all scaled to that larger size.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seven ports per dome. Not six.

You'll note that with Dome "B", the numbering on the ports starts at "0", and on "A" it ends at "6".

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Allowing it to carry at least a 42 ship armada when fully docked, the Sol System actually feels busy for once.

8. F. King Daniel

Just came across this on Youtube. It's the Starship Vessel Simulator from the 2009 movie's Bluray. Not having the BR, it was my first time seeing it. Beautiful (not to mention big) ship.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0i72CsaL2I[/YT]

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I found it a few weeks ago, very nicely done and I'm hoping they'll be something similar on the Into Darkness bluray sets.

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

My God that's a big ship.

Beautiful girl.

11. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow! :D Thanks for posting that vid!

I'd never seen it either - great to view the Enterprise from so many beautiful angles!

I concur: She certainly is a big and beautiful starship!!!

:drool:

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I think what the other poster was I think saying that none of them were two-level (as in 2 storey) ... a split-level bridge (which almost all of them are, if they weren't they'd look like they were filmed in a garage, like the SEARCHER from 2ndseason BUCK ROGERS) is a whole other kettle of fish. Believe me, I lived in a few of homes growing up and they ALL had split-levels for the living room, and NONE of them were two-storey.

Probert originally designed the TNG bridge as being a genuine 2 storey (like 1st season MoonbaseAlfalfa on 1999)

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

And then there's this:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3DGiZI8iyQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/yt]

14. BillJ

Lucky bastard! :techman:

15. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Wow, beautiful!

16. BillJ

Is it me or does the paint job seem a little to white compared to what it looks like in the film?

17. F. King Daniel

That's a beautiful model!

The new Enterprise hull colour seems to change a lot depending on the lighting. On Nibiru when first rising from the ocean it looks very white like the model and how the TOS ship appeared with the original FX, over Vulcan and Titan it had the same yellowish tinge the Kelvin had, in deep space she's a gunmetal grey etc.

Oh and here's the bluray profile of the Narada. I love the detail here, endless layers of spikes and machinery. It looks like a 5-mile long flea. The info surprisingly mentions the Borg upgrade backstory from the Countdown comic, and actually explains the drill - that the beam sucks ore up as it drills down into it's target, and that the drill's maximum extended length is 110,000 miles.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n61iXU7eXHw[/YT]

18. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

It is not. Two level as in split level, as in the control room of the original Battlestar Galactica.

Or something kinda like this.

19. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    From what I undestand this is intentional. They wanted to simulate the paint scheme of the TMP Enterprise.

20. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Pause at 0:44. You can see undeniable proof that the new Enterprise is 1920 pixels long, and not a pixel more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.