So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I finally finished Prof. Bernice Summerfield and the Gods of the Underworld. A pretty rough read, all told. Took me over two weeks to slog through it. It's a real shame as there's a few great ideas peppered in there. And a rather great "reveal" about what Underworld means in the text. But too much other stuff that gets in the way. I have Prof. Summerfield and the Squire's Crystal on deck next.

I also listened to the latest Doctor Who: New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield set from Big Finish, which contains a great character study by Una McCormack.

I'm about a third of a way through Star Trek: The More Things Change. Pretty good so far but some of the dialogue is a bit stiff - even for Spock. Glad to get a Chapel-centric story. I always wish she got to do more in the series.

2. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I sped through most of Peaceable Kingdoms, I'm glad to get to the end of The Fall. It was all rather dour. :sigh:

For a change of pace I've moved onto John Buchan's Salute to Adventurers. :)

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got my Star Trek Vanguard book 4 Open Secrets in the mail. I've read 6 chapters of this book. I really like this series alot. I've been wanting to find out what happens after that cliffhanger ending in Summon the Thunder.:techman:

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Four (Divergent) came today. I can't decide if I want to break into The Fiery Heart to read it or not. :)

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that the collection of Four stories? I just read Divergent about a month ago, and I was curious about those. Where would you say it's best to read those during the series?
    Thanks.

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picked up the new Stargate Atlantis novel, Unascended.

7. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for mentioning this. I wasn't aware it had been released.

8. John Clark

They do seem to pop up without much notice. I looked at the Stargate novel site last month and they didn't mention it was being released. I just happened to notice it on Amazon the other day. (There's also a SG1 novel that's recently come out too)

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just curious...Are those books post-series, or set during the original runs?

10. John Clark

The new Atlantis ones (or the last 7 at least) are post-series and ongoing. (Before that - books 1-16 were during the series if I remember correctly)

The SG1 ones have typically been planet of the week ones and vary in the timeline in the series.

11. Paris

Thanks for the info. I may check out some of the Atlantis books :)

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started Book 2 of the Mission Gamma Series last week: This Grey Spirit. Still kind of riding high after Book 1 though. That was a great read.

13. Paris

I've just started Twilight, and loved the first chapter...but this sucker is lonnnng! I don't have a problem with long books (I'm a DRG3 fan afterall), but it's daunting. The small print is kind of getting to me...just like with the Crucible trilogy. I know i could try an ereader, but i prefer paper books. Oh well. I'll survive. Enjoy This Grey Spirit :)

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that's what I like about E-readers now. You can adjust your font and it makes the book easier to read. I think in paperback, Twilight was 530 (or something like that) pages. On the Ipad, it was 730, which looks longer but less daunting.

15. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: The Lost Era: One Constant Star by DRG3.

I'm now reading Fringe: The Burning Man by Christa Faust.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Don't worry. It speeds up after Bella figures out that Edward is a vampire . . . . :)

17. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

"I am the Salamander" by MJF

18. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading Twilight, like others have said the DS9 relaunch has been great.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The X-Files: Ruins by Kevin Anderson. I remember reading this many years and enjoying it, but, after all this time, it reads like a new book to me.

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of the e-book novella The More Things Change by Scott Pearson. Enjoyed this one!

Reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth at the moment.