So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Just read Christopher Ransom's The Birthing House - mixed feelings about it. The atmosphere and spooky scenes are good, and there's some nice ideas about what could make a house haunted, but...

The main character's an asshole, the domestics are pretty much just "argue all the time because the story needs them to", the ending is unsatisfying, there's a number of bits that reference things that have been left out or not introduced yet in a way as if they had been mentioned... but worst of all is the bad sex scenes. Or, in one main memorable case, the bad masturbation scene. There's an award for that, you know...

So, mix of good and bad, alternating between impressing and disappointing me, or thrilling and pissing me off.

I may just not have been in the right mood for it, though, with Lesley having been unwell for a couple of weeks.

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished reading the fifth volume of the Babylon 5 mirror universe by Gareth Williams.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Bloody hell, that's a name and title I haven't heard in a long time...

4. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"Mudd In Your Eye" by Jerry Oltion.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

It's definitely the best fan fiction I've ever read. I tried getting into it several years ago (only getting through volume one), but that was before I had an e-reader. It's hard to slog through over a million words when staring at a laptop.

You can get the book for free on his website. I got it in text format and then used Calibre to turn it into Mobi/Kindle format.

http://www.b5-dark-mirror.co.uk/
    http://www.cobrabay.f2s.com/addm.html

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Fearless by Peter David and his daughter Caroline. Not PAD's best, but a fun little story. :techman:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished New Frontier's Gateways entry. Not sure what to think about the ending in What Lay Beyond.

About to start Star Wars: Kenobi by JJM.

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading Star Trek Sce Out of the cocoon I thought the stories were really interesting. I'm rereading TOS The rings of time by Greg Cox.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm editing the second draft of The Shotgun Arcana by R.S. Belcher, the sequel to his earlier weird western, The Six-Gun Tarot.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 34th Rule by Armin Shimerman and DRGIII. Sofar, an awesome read, can't believe I never read this one before.

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading:

*Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by James Luceno
    *Alfred Hitchcock's 'Witches Brew'

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you mean James Rollins.

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished part 2 of the Terok Nor trilogy, Night of the Wolves. Working on book 3 now, aiming to finish up the trilogy before A Ceremony of Losses downloads to my Kindle.

14. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

After a holiday, a diversion into non-Trek lit and Q Who? for seen setting, I'm going back into Double Helix for Vectors.

15. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I finished up a pretty good Bantam book called Devil World by Gordon Ecklund. I am now reading MJF's Captain's Table entry Dujonian's Hoard. I'm having to take several breaks on this one.

16. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've never gotten around to Dujonian's Hoard. Is it set during his time on the Stargazer or the Enterprise(s)?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's set on the E-D sometime not long before Generations.

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

He is currently the Captain of the E but he tells a tale from his time on the D. He leads into his story by saying he was commanding the fifth ship to bear the name.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yes, and the fifth ship is the D. Remember, the original had "no bloody A, B, C, or D." So the one with the fourth letter of the alphabet is the fifth ship. (Well, the fifth Federation ship of that name, since it's not counting NX-01.)

Besides, Picard says that the story he tells happened only a couple of months earlier. There was a significantly longer gap between the loss of the D and the launch of the E.

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

The other day I finished Star Trek: New Frontier: After the Fall by Peter David.

I'm now reading Torchwood: Risk Assessment by James Goss.