Reasons to be happy / not happy about a 4th film.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

TWO reason why. STAR WARS and the COMIC BOOK MARKET.

I have a bad feeing that star trek will get swallowed up by star wars. star wars has 3 huge films coming out which are sequels to the original trilogy and they have spin off films as well.

I just wished trek will have gone back to tv instead of getting more films with this cast. in fact some people even said JJ Abrams announcing he was directing star wars over shadowed and hurt the momentum of star trek into darkness because in press conference for the film everyone were asking him about star wars not star trek.

with star wars coming back in a huge way and the never ending comic book film madness all bringing in billions and billions at the box office I think star trek will just get swallowed up in the midst of all this juggernauts comic films and star wars.

star trek should have gone back to tv instead. where the best stories are told, I think it has a better chance growing in popularity in tv than in films.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Reason why I am not happy for a 4th film.

I loved Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, and am thrilled that they have an option for a fourth film after Star Trek Beyond. If they do a TV series at some point too (unlikely due to complicated legal issues), that's great, but the movies have brought back my love of Trek in a huge way and I hope they make loads of them.

3. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

okay that sounds fair enough I just wish star trek was as huge at the box office like star wars and comic book films. STID made about 460m world wide which is good but when films are bringing in 1 billion plus , its explains why paramount are demanding simon pegg sort off dumb star trek down. so instead of dumbing star trek down why not take it to TV.

4. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I understand your concerns. However, TV is not necessarily the best option either, with huge competition these days from a variety of TV shows large and small. The threat of cancellation looms many TV shows, and only a minority really survive. It is a gamble for Star Trek to succeed, though I would really hope they'd be able to do it someday.

I don't think Star Trek will get swallowed up too much by either Star Wars or comic book movies. It is very unlikely for it to surpass either, but as long as it holds to what makes it unique, there is room in the market for both. Star Trek movies have always been comfortable with modest successes in the face of gigantic blockbusters so it can survive. Again, as long as they do their best to produce a quality film and market it well enough.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I think the fact that Abrams is involved with both franchises can only help Trek, not hinder it. Star Wars earns immensely more per film at the box office than Trek does, so a little cross-promotion while Abrams is on the interview circuit certainly can't hurt. Then you'll have all the new fans who got into Star Wars first possibly giving Trek a try to see how Abrams and his production team handled those films. It's probably not going to provide huge numbers of new fans to Trek, but I don't think it will detract from it.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I hope that the third move ends with a massive cliffhanger, which will be resolved in the fourth movie ... which must come out quickly! No more three or four year gaps between movies!

7. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

How can Star Trek be swallowed by Star Wars? Is such thing even possible? God, I wish to watch it happen. :drool:

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Star Wars and Star Trek have co-existed for nearly forty years now. I don't see a problem.

9. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope there were FanGasms Galore when that hit the Netwaves! :lol: Thing is, it actually has some appeal!

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I think that it'll all be fine.

11. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

--------------------

trek can still get back to tv, even if not with this cast/characters.
    and like others said, it had always co-existed with star wars.

12. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

star wars always hugged all the spot light and made the most money. that is what I meant when I said wars swallowed trek.

the fact that in many of the into darkness promotion tour, all people could ask JJ is star wars is evidence and it makes me ill at the same time and this is coming from me who is a star wars fan. I even loved the prequels.

13. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

the first 2 abrams movies were shit, simply not tproper rek.

The movies wereOk in a hollywood movie sense but trek it is not and a third is only compounding the crap , a fourth is taking the piss and killing any chance of a proper canon series.
    Fuck the alternate, fuck abrams and fuck this piss poor excuse for trek

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'll be in the cinema for the third and fourth, and I'll have my blurays not long after. MOAR.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Proper canon". That's a new one. :rofl:

16. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

yes, yes it is.

17. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Is there a finite number of dollars available to the market that both Star Trek and Star Wars would have to share such that Star Wars will remove dollars from the available pool for Star Trek? Or is this a logical fallacy of a forced choice?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Okay? Star Trek doesn't need to hide from Star Wars, the films are being released six months apart.

Love to know what the definition of "proper Trek" is?

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Absolutely Agree. :techman:

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I should have seen it coming. The third picture has just started principle photography, and already the whining comes about the fourth movie. Oh, and somehow a reason is cooked up to blame J.J. Abrams. It's pathetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.