(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

You people fromt the big football nations have no idea what it's like to live in a country that's really shit at this game. It's funny when France loses against Belarus, but it's just business as usual for Austria. The Austrian national football team hasn't played a game without conceding a goal since three managers ago. I'm not complaining though, it's always entertaining, like a circus clown. ;)

2. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Is that an official record?

Well, 45 minutes to go against Kazakhstan and you might have beaten that.

And an Andorran goal! Guess I won't be saying that too often.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, I'm content. 3-0 at half time. But game analysis without Netzer just isn't the same. :(

4. Roger Wilco

It probably is for Austria I guess, the last :0 victory was 5 years ago, but I'm sure countries like Luxemburg or Liechtenstein have had longer streaks. ;)

5. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Liechtenstein played 0:0 vs Azerbaijan in 2008 (won 4:0 vs Luxembourg in 2004).

Luxembourg 0:0 vs Faroer in 2010 (also 0:0 vs Moldova in 2009 and 1:0 vs Belarus in 2007).

Edit: Last 0:0 draw for Austria was in 2007 vs Japan.

6. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

0-0 in Bosnia for the moment. It's disappointing and boring. If they're not playing very well, at least they should be completely ridiculous, it's more entertaining.

7. Roger Wilco

Hm, there have to be some teams that are worse than Austria. Austria is more a very lukewarm kind of shit. ;)

8. Iasius

San Marino's last :0 was a 1:0 victory vs Liechtenstein in 2004. :)

Austria is ranked 32nd out of 56 on European football elo ratings. So there are quite a few.

(Obviously. ;))

9. Roger Wilco

Btw Liechtenstein is leading 0:1 in Scotland :lol:

10. Shaytan

YEAH ! Benzema !

11. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Pffft Austria are giants compared to my country. We've only beaten 6 teams in competitive matches since Toshack took charge what feels like forever ago. And only one of them was against a higher-ranked team (Slovakia). And in the home leg of that leg they smashed us 5-1! Supporting Wales hasn't been fun for a very long time indeed.

At least you qualified for Euro 2008 ;)

12. Roger Wilco

Hehe, ok, you win. ;)

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Hey, Austria won 2:0! :)

14. Iasius

And the streak ends. :)

15. Roger Wilco

They are still shit though, Germany is going to have a lot of fun with these idiots.

16. Shaytan

Bosnia 0 - France 2
    It's like breaking a bad voodoo spell.

17. Iasius

Scotland 2:1 Liechtenstein FT

Apparently 7 minutes into injury time they scored the winner. :(

I guess that makes Norway's win vs Portugal the biggest surprise today.

Portugal now with 1 pts after 2 games.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG march on but am not going to be decieved that formation is too easy to bypass in our middle and the bigger teams will punish us no doubt.

My Ratings
    Hart (6) - Poor night of kicking and dropped catches, looked nervy and was maybe a little too easily beaten for the goal.

Johnson (7) - Much better game and got forward well setting up the 1st goal. Still not without his doubts at the back but still a good peformance overall.

Jagielka (7) - Not much to say other than solid, which is what you want from a defender.

Lescott (7) - Virtually the same as Jagks, a big surprise not only to be picked but also to put in a solid shift.

A.Cole (6.5) - Didn't get forward as well and looked a little off the pace at times though his knee was strapped so maybe not 100% fit, Still never really troubled.

Johnson (8) - Man of match, came on and the Swiss couldn't handled him. Took his goal so well and must start ahead of Walcott for the near future.

Barry (6) - Went around his game with little fuss but still slow to close down the space and along with Stevie should of never allowed the swiss scorer to even shoot.

Gerrard (6.5) - To deep, not his best position for ENG and Capello needs to give more freedom to one of the central midfielders. However decent link up play with Rooney once again but would be better if they did it further upfield.

Milner (6.5) - Put in a hard shift though needs to play in centre for me in a 5 midfield, not comfortable on the wing IMO. Stupid foul to get booked rules him out of next game must learn from it.

Rooney (7) - Scored his first ENG goal for a year and played well in the first half. However 2nd half he was never in the game and still dropping FAR too deep even for a deep lying forward role.

Defoe (6) - Average peformance with no real link up play and missed 2 very decent chances putting them over the bar.

------------------------------

Walcott (N/A) - Was involved in the first goal but then injured again :rolleyes: However Ref to blame some what as he was targeted by the Swiss for a good kicking with 4 fouls on him in the opening 11 minutes.

SWP (5) - Didn't need to come on and my god miss hit the most simple pass to deny Bent a sure fire goal.

Bent (6) - Took his goal well though was very lucky to be onside when Swiss defender decided at the last second to play him on. Spent rest of game actually being offside and his goal does nothing for me to say he can play at this level.

Capello got a little lucky IMO and when we were 2-0 he should of gone 5 in the middle to shut up shot and not wait for 2-1. Also bringing SWP on when your 2-1 up and soaking up tons of pressure was a massive gamble, can't get away with that at a big tourney...

Still making weird subs just like in the WC needs to learn.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hurray we're back in qualification stages and back to being unbeatable! Give it one more win and the papers will be saying we're a shoe in for the Euros in 2012 :rolleyes:

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I feel a little more happy with the future once again with new players settling well into the senior side and the U21's Q/F for the playoffs again on course for there 3rd U21 major final in a row. I am expecting to see more youngsters push for a place over the next 2/3 years with the likes of...

Joe Lewis (Needs to join a PL club good young keeper)

Phil Jones
    Micah Richards
    Ciarin Clark
    Chris Smalling
    Kieran Gibbs

Tom Cleverly
    Jack Wilshire
    Dan Golsing
    Michael Johnson
    Marc Albrighton

We need to produce more strikers for the future but its not looking too bad especially when grouped with the current younger players already in the set up (people 25 or under)...

Joe Hart
    Ben Foster (ok 27 but keepers can play till near 40)
    Gary Cahill
    Leighton Baines
    Theo Walcott
    Aaron Lennon
    James Milner
    Adam Johnson
    Tom Huddlestone
    Ashley Young
    Wayne Rooney
    Gabby Agbonlahor

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010