Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And one of the main criticisms about television was that it took away the community experience of going to see movies in theaters. And one of the criticisms about phonograph records was that they were too sterile and uninvolving compared to family singalongs around the piano. There's always something lost and something gained, but change is part of life, and people adjust.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, but there is still no reason why Netflix can't move to a "weekly" release schedule for its series--they are still available in their entirety afterward and they get ten to thirteen weeks of conversation rather than a week or two.

One thing Netflix gets right though is they understand that the entertainment industry needs to sell service rather than "product" in this day and age. Forget DRM and electronic usage restrictions on products.

You can't compete with people pirating your movie, show, music, book or whatever so you make the "service" you offer better than the pirating experience could be. iTunes got this right first with music. Now Netflix, with Amazon/Hulu etc learning from example.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

In fact, Netflix has already done this once. The first House of Cards episode was available for viewing by anyone for a month when the series was first put online.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, obviously. But, if you just can't get TV somewhere, your probably not getting Netflix. Regardless, this is all talking about the US, and its becoming a pointless argument. I think people who think TV is dying are crazy, they think the same about me. Its really accomplishing nothing to argue about that.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

You said until the internet is free and covers 100% of major countries TV will always be here but the fact is TV doesn't do that now. And the truth is Netflix is like Cable, Satellite, FiOS, DVD & Network's catch up services rather than a competitor to TV it is just another way of receiving TV.

Like all of those things Netflix isn't going to kill TV, it is there to be another service and lots of people rather than watching on computers watch through PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Roku, Boxee, Apple TV and it is on the TV screen. If you don't want to watch TV that way, or via cable or satellite, all well and good. You're no worse off without Netflix than you are without HBO or Showtime and if you're happy to wait for DVDs they will release them sooner or later.

6. kirk55555

I wasn;t trying to imply that TV does that. I was trying to say that TV won't be going anywhere in the countries of the world where its big unless internet becomes either free or cheap and the services like netflix are much easier accessed on TV without having to buy a game console or a specialized TV. As for dVd, again I still really doubt any Marvel netflix show will ever be on DVD, but honestly I'd still prefer they didn't exist if they are netflix exclusive, even if Marvel manages to get dVDs out of the shows. It sets a very bad precedent to have good shows debut on netflix.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

But what is the reason for them TO move to that? They practically created binge viewing. And why would they want to be more like broadcast? House of Cards and Orange is the New Black did really well. And were being talked about all the time. I think if they didn't, then that would give them a reason to change how they do things.

Right now, the motivation to change is just be like everyone else. And with the success they are reporting, why?

If it ain't broke, ya know...

8. theenglish

I am not saying they have to, just that they could.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Except it would nark off their core audience.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Does it set a very bad precedent for shows to debut on HBO and Showtime (or here in the UK Sky)?Because that's all it is, a new network that started out showing repeats, like Syfy, then started making original shows.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Personally I like binge viewing. It fits the way my mind works -- I tend to jump from one fixation to another, get really into doing one thing for a week or two before my attention can successfully be diverted somewhere else. (Which you'd think would mean I'd write a lot more short fiction than I do, but I've never mastered the knack of writing at that length, so instead it just makes it harder for me to stay focused on a novel.)

And it's not that different from the way people see movies -- they don't all see them at once, but most of the audience sees a movie within a few weeks of its release.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting idea I guess. Not sure about the methodology of airing Taxi with and without ads and then comparing it to Happy Days. As for me, I will continue to wear out my commercial skip button on my DVR.

Maybe it explains my love of NFL football. :)

13. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I'm not sure you realize how easy it is for everybody to access Netflix. You don't need a game console or a specialized TV. BD players come with a Netflix app installed. Additionally they sell receivers for streaming right to your television.

Don't try to give me price as a reason for not getting the receivers either because they go for as little as fifty bucks. If you can afford a DVD or BD player then you can afford a converter box. Trust me that sucker will have paid for itself within a month of buying it! It's certainly more cost effective than buying season sets for every show you want to watch.

Also most people who don't have credit or even debit cards still have no reason not to have Netflix if they want it. Certainly you must know that they sell these little things called prepaid cards that you can buy at any 7-Eleven or Walgreens. If you can put seven bucks a month on that card then you can have Netflix.

I'm not saying that you should go to Netflix if you're not interested in it. If you're happy with broadcast television then by all means stick with it. All I'm saying is that your reasons for why you can't use it don't really hold much in the way of water.

14. kirk55555

All of our DVD players we got for around 10-20 dollars, and I don't know what a BD player is. If you mean bluray player, our PS3 is the only one, and I only got that because I got a lot of money from family when I graduated high school. We won't be getting bluray players by themselves until DVD is dead and bluray players have gotten dirt cheap like DVD players eventually did (we don't even have an hd-tv, why would we have a bluray player?). I'd love to have netflix, it sounds cool. Its just not possible because we can't pay them the way they want and none of the ways of streaming it to tv are affordable.

Its like what I was saying about tv. Unless stuff like netflix can be as easy as cable (just hook into your tv from a pug in and go) and don't require credit cards people like my family will never be able to get it.

15. Professor Zoom

Well. Now I'm confused. Because they could do LOTS of things. You seem to be advocating for them to be doing a specific thing, yet you aren't?

So, let me rephrase, sure, they COULD do that model of releasing once a week, but why would they? What would be the motive to change something that works well for them?

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't overdo it, Marvel.

17. theenglish

Sorry, I misunderstood. The reason I was arguing is that releasing episodes on a weekly basis could extend the dialogue around a show. For example, here on this board, every week we discuss the new comics or new episodes or whatever. Hemlock Grove never received an extended thread to keep the dialogue going on that show.

Theoretically, extending the dialogue around a show would serve to build the audience base as it gives more people a chance to hear about it. Releasing a season over thirteen weeks gives people twelve more weeks to hear about the show and thus more opportunities to attract new subscribers.

18. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

I guess I'm just not understanding. Could you perhaps explain why you feel so very strongly this way? All evidence shows why you shouldn't and allay your concerns. Every single scripted series created for every pay tv channel/service in the US and abroad, has been released on disc for those who choose not to subscribe to those services. Studios want as much money as they can get, and will not reject making more by not making premium series available to all after the standard premiere 'window', or release period ends. House of Cards debuted in February. 10 months later, it came to disc. HBO's Game of Thrones ended it's season in June, it's disc release will be (tentatively) Feb 18. It debuted March 31-so that's close to 11 months before disc arrival.

You can find good condition used or refurbished blu ray players cheap, on ebay or Amazon. Roku boxes, and another streaming box called WD TV Live, can be found there as well for around $60. Both of those are wifi capable, so you won't need to run ethernet cables if your router is located where your tv /PS3 is.

It really is easy to obtain Netflix for anyone that already had broadband internet service. Trust us, we wouldn't lead you on. :)

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love my Roku box - considering that with Time Warner Cable, they even have an app where you can watch some live channels on it too, so it's almost like having an extra 'free' cable box. Plus the fact that as new streaming services come around, typically they add a channel to it on the Roku - and the cheapest Roku can usually be found for about $50 bucks - about the price of a moderately cheap BluRay player and works with old non HDTVs, I sort of have mine hooked up to two screens - my 1080p computer monitor and a pair of speakers and then the analogue hook up to my old 20" tube tv. But yeah even the most basic of BluRays include a Netflix app.

So really Marvel can still provide a 'premium' channel set of tv shows but without people needing cable. I'd rather they have put it on Netflix and let it be more "showtime/hbo" quality with a little cussin' and nudity heh then have it be on Showtime or HBO and have to subscribe to that which costs more than Netflix does.

20. Professor Zoom

Yeah. That was a common complaint about the idea of releasing them all at once, the water cooler angle. But, that didn't stop the threads about Orange is the New Black, House of Cards and Arrested Development in the the other part of the BBS. They were discussed at length.

I suspect Hemlock Grove didn't get an extended thread because it may not have been very good. That's what I heard anyway.

And just out and about in my circle, a lot of my friends were talking about Orange and Cards. "Have you seen it?" "Where are you?" Things like that.

So, actually, I don't think it limited conversation, more changed the nature of the discussion.

True. Two points.

1. I think there was dialogue around the show. "Did you see it?" "You gotta see it."

and 2. I don't think Netflix's business model is about attracting a viewer for a specific show--like a network. It's about getting them in--even if it's for a free month, enough time to watch all of a specific show--and letting them see how much content the subscriber would have available to them. In other words, they are more than happy to give away a whole meal (or two or three, etc.) if it means the customer will keep coming back again and again. It's not about A show, it's about access to ALL of their content--that's what they want people to buy. It's a different way of doing things.