So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Van: What Judgements Come last night. I'll post my thoughts over in it's review thread.

2. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have read six books so far this year:
    "The Broadview Reader" (3rd ed.) edited by Rosengarten & Flick (1998)
    "Story & Structure" (2nd ed.) edited by Perrine (1966)
    "Secret Service: Political Policing in Canada from the Fenians to Fortress America" by Whitaker, Kealey, & Parnaby (2012)
    "Better Days: A Mental Health Recovery Workbook" (3rd ed.) by Lewis (2014)
    "Literary Theory: An Introduction" by Eagleton (1983); and,
    "A Stitch in Time" (ST-DS9 #27) by Andrew J. Robinson (2000).
    It was nice to revisit my old high school short story book (Perrine). Now I shall have to determine more ST books to purchase today.
    Currently reading "Primates in Nature" by Alison F. Richard (1985) for a number of reasons and purposes. Much TV series with ST-TNG, Buffy, and, Continuum.

3. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished "Covenant of the Crown" by Howard Weinstein. Great book!
    Going to continue with TOS "The Prometheus Design". It happens to be the next in the numbered series on my shelf and after reading through another thread on here I am simultaneously dreading & morbidly curious lol

4. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Finished with Foul Deeds will arise last week. Picked the Buried Age back up and finished the last 3rd Sunday. Now I'm on to Reap The Whirlwind.

5. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Art of the Impossible - by KRAD.

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

That's a GREAT book. The most unexpected thing to me was how funny it was.

8. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FINALLY finally getting back to the Post-Nemesis stuff with the Typhon Pact series. Hopefully i can get completely caught up to Takedown in the next few months, excluding the Voyager stuff. I'll get caught up back with Voyager next.

9. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finished Star Trek: Ishmael and posted my review here.

I have to admit, I did find it fun even if it wasn't very Star Treky and was silly in the extreme with all the crossover elements!

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Game of thrones A Dance With Dragons

11. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Reading the Typhon Pact series, in order of publication. Zipped through Zero Sum Game in a few days. Have been laboring through Seize the Fire for almost 2 weeks, and am less that a quarter through it. I might just skip to Rough Beasts if it doesn't pick up soon.

12. Thrawn

If you skip that and the next Titan novel, Fallen Gods, you really aren't missing much. The next time Titan appears, in The Fall, more than a year has passed and the references to Seize the Fire and Fallen Gods are really brief. One plotline from Fallen Gods is dropped completely, so it actually might be better to skip them.

13. indianatrekker26

I'm on my own read-through as well, Thrawn. I've read stuff on here about Indistinguishable from Magic getting wiped out by later books. Is this true? is this a skippable book?

14. Thrawn

No, actually, it gets brought back into the continuity with The Light Fantastic, which does a couple minor retcons to make everything work. Plus it's a pretty nifty book.

15. indianatrekker26

well then i will definitely dive into that book then. I've put off the post-Nemesis books for too long. For the longest time i just wasn't in the mood to read them. I assume i can skip over the Voyager stuff for now, and get back to those later. My understanding is they really dont impact the Typhon Pact/Fall stuff going on with TNG/TTN?

16. Thrawn

Yep. They are arguably the best books of the lot, though, so I'd recommend coming back for them eventually :)

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I think I'm the only person in the galaxy who didn't like Zero Sum Game that much, but enjoyed Seize the Fire very much. :lol:

18. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished The Prometheus Design, I actually thought it was good with some interesting ideas. Decided in light of the sad news to finally read a book that has been on my shelf for several years. "Vulcan's Forge" by Josepha Sherman & Susan Schwartz.

19. Thrawn

If it helps any, I didn't much like either of them... :lol:

The Bashir story ultimately went good places, but ZSG felt really slight for a Major Event Novel, especially since it was the first 24th century book in almost a year. Really underwhelming. But the whole Typhon Pact miniseries felt a little off, I think; it wasn't until Plagues / Dawn stitched everything back together that I enjoyed most of those storylines.

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Martin & Mangels entry into Worlds of Deep Space Nine: Trill: Unjoined.

Reading Tony Daniel's Savage Trade at the moment.