House of Cards (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought a Binger was someone who is sexually obsessed with Chandler Bing from Friends?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope, not that either. ;) i have had erotic dreams about Ross, tho.

3. Guy Gardener

Who hasn't?

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I pegged you more for a Joey type.

That was probably badly phrased.

5. Guy Gardener

The Friends were all horrible people.

When the revolution comes...

Although I have been enjoying the hell out of Episodes where Matt LeBlanc is playing an obnoxious parody of himself making a bad sitcom.

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

For all the talk of bingers, I wonder how many people actually ARE. They might think they are... watching a few in a night or something, rather than... "I spent the whole day watching all 13 hours..."

7. Guy Gardener

I watched it in two lumps.

My delivery mechanism was less reliable.

Took a small break between episode 10 and 11 where I watched the new episode of Yes Prime Minister to put things into perspective.

I'm just wondering who the American King is for season 3?

Or was that Major Dad who we have already met?

Squee!

Final episode of Emily Owen's queued up.

Poor cancelled bastards.

Made in Jersey already ran home and has second tier roll in "Dancing on the Edge" that aired last night.

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watchin' the first episode right now.

Kevin Spacey is always awesome.

- edit, to add -

And on to the second episode!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Up through episode four now, and it is compelling.

One of the downsides that I can see from releasing all of the episodes at once is that it stunts online discussion. I'm reluctant to spoil anything in this thread, just as I'm glad others are reluctant to spoil it for me. But I'm a frequent poster over at AVS, and I enjoy discussing popular shows each week as new episodes air, speculating on the direction of the show and what happened in the previous episode. I feel a little robbed of that here, because I'm not going to seek out discussion until I've seen the entire season.

10. Guy Gardener

It's possible that yourself and Odo_ital are the only two people in America who haven't completed the season.

11. tighr

I've got this work thing getting in the way of my binge Netflixing.

12. Guy Gardener

I wasn't mocking you for being a decent human being, probably just the opposite.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a US context, the King can only be the President. So the second instalment could hardly copy the second UK series.

But then, I've been unable to muster the interest to watch because I cannot see how they could possibly help me to suspend disbelief. The UK is a parliamentary system, the US is a presidential system,. FU's plotting will be different according to the politics. In the US, no scandal will force the resignation of the President and no impeachment (and trial) will be orchestrated by one man. That wasn't even true in Andrew Johnson's trial.

14. Guy Gardener

Impeachment is just one way to assume the presidency.

There's always assassination.

And you don't even have to fully assassinate him, just give the bugger a stroke.

A British Prime Minister rules Britain for "the Monarch" afterwhich the royal family is given billions of dollars a year in taxes as long as the Monarch signs into law all the relevant papers, even the death warrant for the King or Queen. The second the monarch refuses to sign any of the incoming laws, it creates a constitutional crisis and a new civil war where whatever dads army loyalist Beefeaters they have stationed at the palace have to take on the rest of the British Armed forces, afterwhich the family is ousted onto a council estate and now have to figure out how to subside on a regular sized welfare cheque like all the other idle moochers.

I suggested Sandscorp or
    Gerald McRaney
    would be the American King, but the most really applicable comparison to above is someone or something triggering China to call in their debt, the trillions of dollars which America doesn't have which could only be resolved in a change in leadership and a new deal.

Has House of Cards been renewed yet, becuase it seems slightly premature to be talking about season three already.

15. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm afraid that I believe that an undefined royal prerogative has come in handy too often, even in recent years (cue Gough Whitlam and, if I understand the mechanism correctly, Stephen Harper.) The purpose of the British monarch is not to sign laws but to read proclamations of martial law.

Unhappily for the peoples of Britain and Ireland and many other places, Parliament has always carried out the correct policies, thus this essential function of British monarchy has thus far been left in reserve.

The equivalent in the US would be FEMA's continuity of government plans, along with Homeland Security's interesting arrangements about chain of command.

It's hard to guess how eager those who count really are to use such measures, but they do like to have the option.

16. Guy Gardener

It has to be better than the half assed Coup in Last Resort where the Speaker of the House upon realizing that he had failed, stuck a pistol in his mouth and sprayed his brains all over congress in front of a hundred TV cameras.

17. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I finished up to the sixth episode before I had to go to work last night.

18. Guy Gardener

Do you remember the Southpark world of Warcraft episode?

The World of War craft CEO's and Stan's dad are huddling around conspiring.

"OH My god! This could very well mean THE END OF THE WORLD.... of warcraft."

"No, we have a solution! All we need to do is log onto a World of war craft account and... What?"

The WOW CEOs look about themselves all saddened like and declare "But none of us have a World of Warcraft account. We all have lives."

(I swear, no one gets me.)

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I have work, a wife and a baby. No binge for me either.

20. tighr

That was the most bizarre plot point, ever. The final episodes of that show were so badly thrown together. Why would he do that? I couldn't think of a single reason he would resort to suicide.

Not even as a... Last resort.

[​IMG]

But seriously, I was disappointed that no one on the show even mentioned Budd Dwyer. Had this been Archer or Community or even the Gilmore Girls, that would have been the first thing out of someone's mouth.