FINAL POLL - April Challenge - "B"-movie Poster

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, May 2, 2010.

?

Can you Vote for Just One?! Only If YOU Dare!!

Poll closed May 4, 2010.
  1. BK613

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Focus Abbey

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. ITL

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Klaus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lensman

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Ptrope

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

This is the most fantastic story I've ever heard.
    And every word of it's true, too.
    That's the fantastic part of it.

- Plan 9 from Outer Space

:alienblush:

B.J.sent us back to school - to the old school - this month with his challenge: to interpret Star Trek as a "B"-movie, one of those low-budget popcorn flicks with the hyperbolic posters promising Thrills! Chills! Spills! and maybe a bit of Sex! - and, yes, they usually had the !! after them.

Well, never let it be said that this forum is above sinking to a new low and rising to the occasion, because here's proof! (That ! was gratuitous, obviously). It may be interesting to note that all of the entries derived from the original series - maybe the later series were just too cool - or maybe they just weren't cool enough to be good "B"-movies. But the fact is we have a cool half-dozen entries, just waiting for an audience. So grab some popcorn, put on your 3D-glasses and vote

!!

BK613
    [​IMG]

Focus Abbey
    [​IMG]

ITL
    [​IMG]

Klaus
    [​IMG]

Lensman
    [​IMG]

Ptrope

[​IMG]

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Once again, great stuff! I love these challenges - we always get a lot of creativity, and not a little humor :bolian:. How can you not get a little silly with "B"-movies, anyway?

Tough choices - so many great ideas, and great execution, especially in making them look authentic. In the end, I had to go with The Lensman - the quintessential "B"-movie lobby card - from the content to the layout and especially to the aging. And matching the lighting on all the Klingons from different episodes - they look just perfect for the cheap processes used to make the real lobby cards. Bravo!

3. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went with Focus Abbey. Phsychoscope!? Menagerie of Madness!? Good stuff!!
    -
    I did have an TNG idea earlier in the month but realized that there was no way I'd get away with referencing a Casablanca poster in a "B" movie contest!! :lol:

4. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

This one was hard to make a decision on. I almost flipped a coin to make a final decision.

And as much as I love Ptrope's submission, I had to go with ITL. It has that classic 1970's movie poster feel to it which punches my nostalgia button. If it had been for a Kung Fu movie instead of Trek I would not have been surprised.

5. Focus Abbey

Focus Abbey Commander Red Shirt

I had to go for ITL—he really got the concept; his composition and use of color were excellent!

6. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow! A lot of good entries this time. Normally it's pretty clear in my mind who I should vote for, but this month was really close.

Special mention to BK613, Focus Abbey, and ITL.

But ultimately I had to go with Lensman.

7. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I went with Ptrope for a couple of the same reasons he liked mine. Design, content and layout. While there are elements in each poster that I like, only one seems like an authentic finished work IMO and that's Ptropes.

Nice choice of fonts, great streamlined layout, yellowed framework and most importantly, the thing that takes it up to 11 and is required of any movie poster: the text credits.
    This is a design element that's every bit as important as the artwork when crafting a real movie poster.

This element on Ptrope's adds a level of authenticity to it and it's the one I can see actually being in a real theatre. Great job on going the extra mile!:bolian:

ITL and Focus Abbey....great stuff! FA, especially with hand drawn artwork! Very nice and extra props!

Ptrope...where'd you get that Paramount logo? I would've loved to have had that one on mine.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  8. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Focus Abbey. Great work, especially the awesome Talosian!

Phsychoscope FTW!

:D

9. The Lensman

Yeah, Psychosope and "a menagerie of madness" were inspired! :)

10. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

FA for me.

...y'know, I always say to myself that I'd like to get at least one vote each month, and I usually do.

But not this month, the competition is just too frakking good. Awesome job all, and if anyone votes for me I'll slap 'em! :lol:
    [​IMG]

11. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Thanks for the vote! I'm just happy to be here in this company, esp. since I waited until the last day to start ;).

Incidentally, I found that image just by Googling "Paramount Logo" - found it here. (what did we do before Google, anyway??)

12. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Was torn between Lensman and Ptrope, because both did such a wonderful job of capturing the look of the classic B movie posters. I'd happily hang either of those on my wall as rl posters. Finally voted for my buddy Ptrope, but it was close enough it might as well have been a coin-toss.

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, *way* too difficult to decide which one to vote for! It was between ITL and Lensman for me, but in the end I went with Lensman's Space Barbarians. Great job everyone! :techman:

14. Focus Abbey

Focus Abbey Commander Red Shirt

Congratulations, ITL! Great work.

15. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Congratulations, ITL! Heck of a job! And you know what this means now, right? You get to set the challenge for May, so I hope you've been thinking about how to either torture or inspire your fellows to new artistic heights. Don't forget, either, that if you're a little stumped for ideas, there's a pinned thread where people have suggested art challenges - maybe something there will jog your brain ;).

Thanks to everyone else who participated, too - this one was a real eye-opener, not just from the art itself, but from the wide spread of votes; there were clear favorites right off the bat, but every one of the entries was a unique and deserving response to B.J.'s challenge. And it was lots of fun. :bolian:

16. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the votes, guys! The entries were all great, and after looking though previous challenges it's obvious that there's some sterling work done in the fan art forum on a regular basis. Most excellent.

So I'll get thinking about the next challenge. Hmmm....

:D

17. The Lensman

Congrats ITL! Looking forward to May's contest.