Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I don't follow. You mean the Kyoryougers are all bigger than life like Red?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Is everyone talking about Super Sentai because the latest new episode of Megaforce was just too stupid to be worth acknowledging? Because it was really, really stupid. How many more of these lame standalone episodes do we have to sit through before the Legend War/return of old Rangers stuff starts happening?

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the record, I did enjoy Go-Busters start to finish. Then again, I really, really liked SPD, more than Dekaranger even. I'm just a sucker for Sentai series that try to be more serious than Sentai generally tries to be. :P

Now, about about that Kamen Rider these days! I was just in Japan and enjoyed the stuff live, including a bunch of promos for a Kamen Rider with an... orange... on his head? Gotta love strange those themes sometimes!

Mark

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Let's see, this was episode 12 out of 20 this season so there will be either 7 or 8 more stupid episodes before we get to the good stuff, dependinng on whether they put the legend war at the end of this season's finale or if it happens during next season's premier.
    Megaforce is awful and boring, Super Sentai is just more exciting (not always but it has been years since Power Rangers didn't stink), Kyoryuger is a good series, very entertaining, you should check it out.

Ah, Kamen Rider Gaim with its fruit and samurai theme ... and because that wasn't strange enough they also threw street dancing in.:lol: I like that they use several riders this season, the main rider/secondary rider set-up was getting old.
    I'm most excited for strawberry arms because strawberries are the best.:vulcan:

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Giant fruits are the best. I always wanted a giant strawberry.

6. Christopher

RPM was the best Power Rangers has ever been, and that was just four years ago, I think. Since then, since Saban got the rights back, we've only had Samurai/Super Samurai and Megaforce, which have both been quite lame.

I have no idea how I could do that.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen rumours that we won't see The Legend War until next year sometime? As Takeru stated possible either as the season finale or next season premier.

8. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Oh my god it's like my entire first decade on this planet squashed into one thing - we're on a Trek board so that counts too... :lol:

9. Christopher

^What planet were you on before that? :vulcan:

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Sent you a PM

11. Christopher

Since two people have sent me private messages on the subject rather than responding in this thread, I can only assume that the links they're providing are to illegal downloads. Let me make it perfectly clear that I was NOT soliciting any such offers.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm not sure if it is illegal. i remember reading something once that said Toei is well aware of sites like TV Nihon. they allow the site to operate since it taps into the english audience and gets them to buy the toys.

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

That's right, when "Kamen Rider The First" got a dvd release in North America Toei contacted TV-Nihon and requested that they stop distributing the movie, they didn't say a peep about the hundreds of other movies and episodes. Toei knows exactly what's going on, the groups are not anonymous and while Toei won't publicly come out and say 'Watch fansubs" their lack of action in stopping them is telling, they silently approve because they're making money from them. Sentai and Kamen Rider are basically long commercials with an elaborate story, the money is made through the merchandise and that is promoted in the west via fansubs. Western fans importing japanese merchandise are obviously a minority but Toei and Bandai still make a profit.

See above, you can't look at this with a black/white, legal/illegal attitude, it's not that easy. Fansubs (I assume the links you got where about that) are technically illegal because they're not licenced but if the owner of the property is fine with it, is it still illegal or does it move into a gray area? This isn't Hollywood whining "they're stealing our monies!!!", Toei is more like "Pfft, whatever".

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw RPM's Adelaide Kane in Goats last night and she was pretty good as David Duchovny's brief love interest. I also see that she'll be starring in a new series called Reign which starts on Oct. 17th. Seems that her post Power Rangers career is doing quite well.

16. Christopher

^Good -- she deserves it.

17. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Holy crap, that is her in "Reign." I knew the face but couldn't place it.

I'll be watching that, then.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

She also had a recurring role on Teen Wolf this season.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I had the same reaction when I saw a promo. I thought I knew her but couldn't place her either.

Someone started a thread on Reign here.

20. Christopher

This week's Megaforce episode was much better than the last two. A little hokey, sure, but all the stuff about dreams and hope and the scenes with Emma inspiring the monster's victims were nice and heartwarming, and I even got a bit misty-eyed at the end. Plus there was a kitten in it.

Although plotwise it kind of fizzled -- that magic box was supposed to amplify a monster's power a hundredfold and make it unstoppable, but this monster was no tougher to beat than any previous one.