Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Warped9, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No, that's not the same thing. You can think about it all you want, but if you're not managing it and not bringing in money then you're not viable. Trek as a property was being managed and continuing to make money with new and existing merchandise. That's an ongoing business. It was also still well known and widely recognized with an engaged customer base.

You can argue JJ broadened the audience as was done with TNG, but he didn't save the franchise because it wasn't a forgotten and ignored write-off.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Yeah I know what you're saying, but I disagree that the secondary market is relevant to the OP.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And that's fine. I don't for one second pretend to believe that I will convince anyone of anything. My assertion is essentially a different and less restricted perspective that some might consider.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Hey, this is the internet. Isn't the whole point to argue endlessly about unimportant stuff ?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Its just a subtle way for you to bang on the Abrams films some more. Your "less restricted perspective" is simply designed to take credit away from what Abrams accomplished.

I stand by my "I don't know" answer, because I simply have no idea what was going on behind the scenes at Paramount/CBS regarding Trek when Abrams made his pitch to reboot. But I don't think it was looking good as they had already rejected Star Trek: The Beginning.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And thats fine for you. Believe what you want.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yep. This.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Whatever.

9. BillJ

It's not that it isn't an interesting discussion to have, but is it one you really wanted to have?

It's tough to take your position seriously when every post is dripping with contempt for the Abrams films. It also doesn't help when you use such a broad definition of "dead" that hardly anything produced in the history of TV qualifies.

Just my two cents.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hey, I've said my peace enough about it before. If you want to see an agenda in everything someone says then knock yourself out. I certainly don't have anything to apologize for.

I don't have to like Abrams' work to look at and discuss this issue. Your insinuation is that unless I'm a fan then I can't discuss it or be taken seriously. I can just as easily charge someone with blind bias for being a fan so it cuts two ways.

If you want to address the issue then stick to that rather than trying to impugn an individual for putting forth an opinion.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And in a noteworthy coincidence, "Got to Get You into My Life" came on the radio as I was reading that sentence....

...then ya lost me. But I was gratified to see others rise to the defense of one of the greatest pop-cultural phenomena in living memory....

Have to bring up the Anthology phenomenon of the mid-nineties here. The Beatles sold more discs in 1996 than they did in any year of the sixties. When the Anthology 1 double-CD outsold a contemporary Rolling Stones live album, one reviewer memorably wrote (quoted from memory), "The Beatles are still outselling the Stones, and this time they didn't even have to get out of bed to do it." The Stones and other bands of their generation were quick to jump on the bandwagon, hastily dusting off unreleased material in their own vaults.

Also going back to the 90s, when VH-1 was doing their endless series of "Behind the Music" specials, it was a common cliché that everybody under the sun had to be compared favorably to the Beatles at some point. It says something about their lasting impact that in their own field, no other musical act has replaced them as the standard to which others compare themselves....

12. BillJ

When you write this in the very first post:

It tells me it's not something you really want debated.

I'm not privy to sales figures and trends, so I don't know how "dead" Star Trek was in 2007 when it was announced Abrams had taken the reins.

I answered "I don't know". I answered your question honestly. Did you?

13. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I think this discussion had run its course. To avoid the nastiness of it becoming more personal, I'm going to close the thread. I believe all sides have had their say. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.