Bruce Timm Steps Down As WB Animation Supervising Producer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I actually think this is for the best. He has been there a very long time. If he wants to do something different, he should. I think his enthsuiam for the job has faded in recent years. I do not blame him. Most of the Direct to DVDs are Superman, Batman, JLA. Often with stories that are very similar to ones on the shows. Plus there are a lot of other people who has worked with him at Warners who are staying. He has gotten singular credit for everything they do. I have enjoyed the shows James Tucker has overseen, maybe he can bring a fresh prespective to the movies.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well, shoot.

Thus goes the awesomeness. I wonder what personal projects he'll be working on?

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Like rats off the sinking ship.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That sucks. I hope the quality of the DC direct animated movies doesn't suffer. Most of them have been great (except gotham knights which was horrible, and the ones based off horrible Frank Miller comics) and I'd hate to see some of DC's best stuff go bad.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit most of the DC animated movies have left me a bit cold, but I'll always be grateful for his TV series. Particularly BTAS, JLU, and GL.

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine that the DTV movies have been somewhat like a prison lately. No one is really being allowed to create anything; they've just been turned into Xerox machines with pre-made graphic novels on the glass.

Timm isn't meant to be someone who faithfully retells another person's story. Timm made a name for himself by doing some really original things (from his revitalization of the Superman rogues to Batman Beyond).

I look forward to what Timm has next; I'm only sorry that he likely won't be breathing new life into DC properties (something Warner hasn't allowed him to do for some time now).

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, Bruce Timm is fantastic and I'm delighted to hear that he'll be developing his own projects. He did some great work on DC's TV shows, but the only movie that interested me was the New Frontier adaptation. I can't wait to see what he's coming up with.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Exactly. Even the few times his shows did episodes that were so-called "adaptations" they never copied the stories exactly. My big problem with the DTV movies is most have had similar stories done as episodes of the earlier shows. The episodes were better in every way. With even less screen time those were better focused. These things feel like bloated extra long episodes of shows that do not exist, no fully developed feature length movies.

On top of which the animation in the series were better. On those the animators had time to learn how best to work with the character designs.