Was Star trek Into Darkness Disaterous

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

froM a yahoo link page, a critic called the film disastrous.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-t...-sequel-must-learn-avengers-age-ultron-439018

here is an abstract from the article:

i did not love film but having articles on mainstream media calling the Film disastrous is a bit far fetched. does anyone else feel the same way

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not really. It's not like it will hurt the film's feelings.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Hey, look at me! I'm some dumbass internet critic who needs attention by making up some bullshit about a movie I hate so I can ruffle some other internet bulletin board members' feathers!

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is iDigitalTimes the "mainstream media"? And who the hell is Andrew Whalen?

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It's barely even an article. Load of cobblers.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Someone doesn't really understand success and failure. True Orci has been removed, but that was well after he was hired to write and direct Star Trek 3. You don't hire someone to write and direct the next film in a franchise if the last one was a "disaster".

Next.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

What the fuck makes a no-name clickbait website "mainstream media?"

8. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the inference was that disasters occur in the story of the film. Disasters of volcanos, Klingon attacks, terrorist attacks, death through radiation, The USS Enterprise almost crashing, etc.

Disasters aplenty.

9. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget the Vengeance actually crashing. :)

10. Lowkey

Lowkey Ensign Newbie

Well that is a bit overboard. I'd certainly say from my perspective it was a terrible movie, and I actually liked the first one alright. Of course you can always shore up any plot holes with "because... fuck you timeline!". Still as a trek fan I felt like the movie was trolling me sometimes. I'm all for getting a wider audience, but you need to do it with a little respect beyond just calling the everything the same names.

The Klingons were wearing masks people!! Masks!? On Klingons!? How is anyone going to see the scars of battle the proof of your honor if you walk around wearing masks!?

I know I know nerd rage, but that's not even going into the Lazarus tribble. Anyway.. yes terrible movie. to me disastrous means it broke the studio or something.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If I had to walk around in a province whose atmosphere was decimated by ecological disaster due to an exploded moon, I'd probably be wearing a mask too.

The next thing you'll be saying is that Klingons don't wear space suits when performing EVA maneuvers because they're just that tough. :rolleyes:

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Disaterous, perhaps. Disastrous? No.

13. Lowkey

Lowkey Ensign Newbie

Didn't seem to bother the humans, or the Klingons when one of them took the mask off in the next scene. They were Haloized.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What exactly is the issue? I'd rather have the "Halo" Klingons that actually look alien than the "hair metal band rejects" that were the 24th century Klingons.

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No one cares, least of all the Klingons.

Fuck - in TOS (which is the Star Trek that the new movies are mainly based on) most of the Klingons would have laughed off the notion of "honor" altogether.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

Whatever you may think of the Klingon masks, you cannot pin that on ST:ID. The masks were developed for ST09. Watch the ST09 deleted Klingon scenes again and you will see.

And I think it makes total sense. Plenty of real-life warrior cultures with honor codes have used facial protection of some kind... Knights, Samurai, etc.

It's nice to see Klingons that actually seem menacing. Klingons in the TOS era are a ruthless, efficient military machine, not a bunch of cavemen bikers constantly spouting about "honor this" and "honor that."

And "disastrous" is definitely an exaggeration. ST:ID had the top spot at the US box office on opening weekend, and internationally, it made more than ST09.

Kor

17. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I've heard they fart in airlocks too...

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I thought they looked far more like an organized military that post-TOS Klingons. The TOS ones definitely had the rank and file look that I would expect from soldiers of the Empire, but I never got that feeling from the TNG style.

Also, I'm not sure how ID is Star Trek in name only.I thought the idea of social commentary on drone strikes would be something that would be done if TOS were still around.

I didn't read the article because I personally am tired of "click bait" articles that centered on all the negative opinions on ID. Apparently there was nothing positive that came out of ID :rolleyes:

19. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I like the new Klingons. They have an added menace to them, and with the helms they look like an alien "brute squad". And when the helms come off, they look even more menacing and alien. :)

20. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

It is difficult to get more cartoonishly evil than the TOS Klingons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.