Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

According to Kevin Feige seaking to MTV...

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that Edgar Wright wants to make Ant-Man of his own volition. It's no guarantee but I feel that a project that is a labor of love has a better chance to be of worth. It's cool that Marvel wants to be a part of that.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I have no interest whatsoever in Dr Strange... I'm only excited about Ant Man because of Edgar Wright. Where's Mrs Marvel or Luke Cage I ask?

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ Really? I think, if done right (and Marvel obviously seems to know what theyn are doing with their charaters) a Dr. Strange movie would rock!

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Praise the Eternal Vishanti! I've been waiting impatiently for them to get around to doing a Dr. Strange movie. I just hope that, along with the classic Lee/Ditko stuff, they also draw on the Engelhart/Brunner/Colan run in the seventies, which is still my favorite take on the character.

So, Benedict Cumberbatch as Strange? And who do we want as Clea?

I'm actually more excited about this than all the big STAR WARS chatter! :)

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

But if Ant-Man is set for 2014, doesn't that make it before Avengers 2, and therefore part of Phase-2? I'm assuming each they intend each "phase" to be punctuated by an Avengers movie.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Isn't it set for the next movie after Avengers 2 or something like that? Assuming Avengers is a summer movie, you still have half a year left in 2014.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Marvel's 2014 slate consists of Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1. The Avengers 2 is scheduled for May 1, 2015, and Ant-Man is scheduled for November 6, 2015.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

OK, that makes sense too. I didn't realize Avengers 2 was 2015. So what's 2013, just Iron Man 3? Thor 2?

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SHIELD TV show, if that counts.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yes.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It will be interesting to see how these slightly lesser known properties fair at the box office.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know I'm looking forward to it. :bolian:

Iron Man was lesser known once upon a time. When they started advertising the first movie, I knew several people who had never hears of the character and nobody who had read the comics.

Don't overestimate how known comic books are in the general culture. People know Superman, Spider-Man, Batman and Wonder Woman, and after that it gets fuzzy. Maybe The Hulk too since he had a TV series once. To normal people, The Avengers was a lesser known property.

14. Nerys Myk

Yeah, that's why I said "slightly lesser known".

15. Shazam!

Anyone else would almost be a disappointment

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't change my point, which is that how known any of these characters are is irrelevant. The movies will be the first time the vast majority of people are encountering them. "Slightly" lesser known may as well be completely unknown, it's a trivial distinction.

Let's be honest here, Cumberbund is too ugly to play a lead character in a mainstream Hollywood flick. He'd make a good Marvel villain, but they'll find someone more conventionally handsome like Viggo Mortenson or even Bradley Cooper to play Dr. Strange. Who knows, it could even be Johnny Depp, who has already been given the part by teh internets judging from all the photo manips of him as Strange.

17. Shazam!

Urgh
    Urgh!
    URGH!!

Also, on what planet is Cabbagepatch not attractive? Evan as a heterosexual male I can objectively see he's good looking.

18. Nerys Myk

Planet Termis is an odd place.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ditto for BLADE, THE MASK, HELLBOY, MEN IN BLACK, etc.

Name recogition is not always the determing factor. If so, THE HULK would have outsold IRON MAN, and SUPERMAN RETURNS would have been the most successful superhero movie of all time.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if Idris Elba turns it down, he's always fandom's choice for all new genre roles.