Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey 2x01

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    ITV's breakout hit Downton Abbey returns to PBS tonight with the first episode of the second season:
    The first season was delightful, if somewhat cheesy, fun -- and it also boasted a very attractive cast, including Michelle Dockery. :)

Will Bates and Anna get together? Will Miss O'Brien's evilness be revealed? Will Carson lose a little more of his sanity in trying to wrangle the serving staff? Will the Dowager Countess sniff derisively at Cousin Isobel? Will Lady Edith ever find love? Will Lady Sybil become a bomb-throwing anarchist? Will cousins Matthew and Mary admit their feelings for one another? Will Matthew survive the carnage of the Western Front? Most importantly, will there be endless discussions about the entail and the inheritance problems?

Anyone else looking forward to this tonight?

2. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Must warn you, the writing is not has good as series one.

3. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I liked it okay, but it did not seem to have the feel of one. In season one I felt some suspense, but in this series I have not gotten that vibe.

I felt sorry for the blinded Lt. that killed himself.

Mary should just throw herself at Matthew's feet already.

Thomas' cutting remarks and attitude were grating in one and he did not endear himself this time round either. He did show some humanity with the Lt. but that was fleeting.

Matthew's fiance was mousey and how many times can Isobel have shocking hospital plans?

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the first two episodes of S2 were just as good as S1. I like the politicing, I like the tension, and I still want to nail Michelle Dockery. And the best part is, my wife is more than willing to join me. ;-)

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been watching this with my parents on Sunday nights. It has been airing here in Canada on Knowledge Network. I quite enjoy it. One of the few shows that I have actually watched with my parents that we all mutually enjoy.

6. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I've been watching this new season and I am enjoying it very much. Maybe a tad less of what I saw of Season One, but still good.

I hope Matthew and Mary are able to get together, but its not looking too good for them right now. I keep thinking something will happen with Matthew's fiance and they will break up...giving Mary another chance to speak up about her feelings.

Glad the situation with Bates and Anna are working out a bit. His conniving wife needs a good boot.

7. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe that's why Bates walks funny -- he has only one good boot. ;)

8. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

great quote from patton oswalt, who has been livetweeting during the episodes.

'My hobbies are croquet, pressing flowers, and failing to say what I mean' - Mary Crawley

9. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

gotta admit, I cant take anna seriously after watching the recent robin hood series. anna takes over as robins love interest after maid marion bites it at the end of season 2.

and talk about not taking seriously...shawns mom, and the PM from doctor who is Matthews mom, goodness.

10. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Quite simply, this is one of the best shows on TV now. I turned to my husband after last week's episode and said, "Why can't all TV be like this?"

Less Snooki and Kim, more quality TV.

11. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

That explains it now! LOL.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I watched season 1 on DVD over Christmas and now I am watching it every Sunday. I just love it. I had heard a lot of positive buzz about it but it is much better than I had anticipated.

Maggie Smith is a delight and steals the show.

I will be adding this to my dvd collection.

13. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cora is clueless. When's she going to get wise about O'Brien?

14. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Omg, yes! So easily manipulated, yet thinking she's just so smart.

I like how the Earl is acting re: Bates. He'll accept that there IS something scandalous in his family and won't let Bates take the fall.

15. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Yes! This is the one show I really look forward to each week and never feel disappointed.

16. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

Love this show! I was in tears for the last twenty minutes of tonight's episode. I couldn't stand to see the looks on the faces of the staff...:(

Did anyone catch the preview for next week? Who could that burned soldier be that Lord Grantham can't seem to recognize? I can't recognize him either!

I really can't stand Bates' wife; I know she's got something devious planned for him...and that silly O'Brien writing her a letter to find Bates! At least O'Brien sees she made a mistake doing that. Can't wait for next the episode. :techman:

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

A friend recommended it to me, so just before Christmas I bought the boxset of both series and went though both series in a few days. Maggie Smith really makes the show, love it.

18. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I read that PBS cut scenes for the American viewing. I went on to Amazon and purchased both sets, uncut UK version.

William's death was so sad. However, I figured it would happen. As soon I knew he was going off to war with Matthew I figured he was a Red Shirt.

I did not see them killing Matthew as the family having to adjust to the new heir was a large part of season 1. (They had already killed the heir Patrick and I did not think they would go there again.) However, I did not see them giving him a spinal injury either.

That was a great way to get rid of Lavina and give Mary an opening. But, now she is indebted to Sir Newspaper, and I don't see him giving her up.

Edith is growing on me. I love that she volunteered to take care of William.

The Dowager Countess is my favorite. I love how she made the Vicar marry Daisy and William. The old gal knows how to get things done. Her talking on the telephone was a hoot.

19. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm still too upset about the last episode to talk about it yet. William. :(

20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Everyone raves about this show. I have no idea what it is... but apparently I need to watch it!