Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Destructor, May 11, 2013.

1. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Apologies if this is a repeat thread, but won't it be difficult to maintain tension in the third film if, whenever someone dies, they can just pull Kahn out of the old freezerino and reanimate whoever kicks the bucket? For that matter, isn't the ability to cure death, in general, something of a big deal? Like, wouldn't all 73 of the frozen supermen be turned into blood farms for the ultimate in cure-all hospitals? I know this is only one of several rather large problems in the plot, but it's sort of bothering me.

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It sounds like it has the potential to be a bigger deal than the rejuvenation of billions via the Ba'ku world or the Genesis device ... enough to start religious wars even among secular Federationists ...

with all that in mind ... I bet we'll never hear anything about it ever again ... unless Khan's blood turns out to be mixed with protomatter.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER!]

Nothing like a fat spoiler in the thread title (fixed now.)

I think you'll find this issue being talked about quite a bit over in the Grading & Discussion thread, but maybe it can be the focus here, as long as we keep major plot details out of the subject lines for the benefit of those many who have not yet had the opportunity to see the movie.

4. Destructor

Oh, sorry! I thought everyone had see it by now.

General Discussion is all over the place so it's hard to follow the single issue but if its being discussed there I'm happy to be integrated.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not quite yet. Opens next week in the US, Canada and many other places, but there are a few countries which will be waiting until June, July or even September for the movie to open. We'll just keep using spoiler warnings until they've had a chance to catch up.

This is a topic which is probably going to get quite a bit of discussion over the next few weeks, so I'm OK with having a dedicated thread for it.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I think that you can only cure certain illnesses with his blood. Radiation poisoning in this case and whatever the little girl had. If someone had been shot, stabbed or beheaded, it wouldn't be of any use.

7. Destructor

That's true- if wasn't clear if it had regenerative properties in the 'knitting together flesh' sense. I suppose most people who die in space are, well, ripped out into space and probably difficult to revive after such a death.

Still- the movie wasn't very clear on this point. And screw that commander who killed himself and hundreds of people just to save his daughter-- to be charitable I'm going to assume he didn't know the explosion would be as big as it was.

8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

They certainly opened up that road when they had McCoy talk about the blood having an effect on inanimate/dead cells.

9. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

Everyone in the entire world has seen it in the 48 hours since release. Yes....

10. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I suppose if you live in a country that typically gets the movie long after the rest of the world, it would make sense that "everyone else must have seen it". Unfortunately, this one is being released everywhere but the US first. I've already spoiled myself completely on the film. It was as easy as reading the Wikipedia entry for the film.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I still don't understand why they didn't release within a couple of days everywhere? Maybe Foreign markets are more likely to pirate the film if it's released here first? :shrug:

12. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I would not be so sure about that. I was hoping we would never hear or speak of transwarp beaming ever again and yet it's in the movie :/ It would not surprise me if Khan is taken out of the freezer next movie to harvest his blood and he escapes or something. Anything is possible with these writers.

13. Pavonis

I have no clear idea of why STID was released the way it is being released. "Increasing international box office" is the reason I've read, but I wonder if it will be effective. Part of me is considering being petty and not seeing the film when it is released in the US. There should be a small penalty in the US box office for releasing it elsewhere first, I think. :p

14. Destructor

I don't need to worry about everyone in the world, I need to worry about everyone who reads this forum. Y'know- Star Trek fans. I didn't even like ST09 and I've already seen this movie.

15. Pavonis

Not everyone who participates in this forum lives in the UK or Australia. I understand now how the overseas market feels about a movie that's out long before it gets to you...but I'm pretty sure the bulk of TrekBBS posters are American.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Is there anything that you would not do for your family?"

17. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

While you're there why not use the intermix formula in TOS and go back in time and stop the destruction of Vulcan, Admiral Pike, Kirk's father etc.

They showed in this movie they didn't reveal what PrimeSpock knows about the future to everyone and they kept transwarp beaming a secret.
    I'm sure Khan's magic blood will also be kept under wraps in the next movie.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Voting with your wallet, you are.

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I've seen people complain about the transwarp beaming last time for several reasons, one of them being "wahhh, they'll use it for the plot and then forget they have it in the next movie". They obviously didn't. Now, it's "wahhh, Khan's super blood was used as a McGuffin-esque plot device to save Kirk, and woe to everyone if they pick it up again in the next installment. They did the same with the transwarp plot point, how dare they have continuity!".

Seriously, what's up with that? Either you hate it that stuff gets introduced and never mentioned again, or you hate the exact opposite. You can't hate both. It makes no fucking sense.

There's no pleasing some people.

I for one am uber happy they kept him alive, and I hope he and his awesome magic blood get mentioned again in the future. I even hope it becomes a plot point, because the moral implications alone of harvesting someone's blood are incredibly complex.

20. Destructor

I didn't like ST5, either, but I still saw ST6. I am a Trekkie. I will see every Star Trek thing ever made.